Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 10:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I went to the BMW dealership and checked out the new 5. Its a nice car but its way over priced and I have more room in the GS350. I am sure it drives beautifully and has that bimmer charm but 67k for a mid size luxury sedan is a bit..............well German I guess would sum it up. LOL
Old 06-30-10, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

gs350 has more room than the new 5 series? wow, even i own the gs350 and i can't remotely say the same. same with my wife, she says the 5 series has a lot more space including the trunk
Old 06-30-10, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Just found 100 new 5 Series sitting on dealer lots, guess they are not really sold out, kind of like Camaros being sold out and being able to walk into any Chevy dealer and buy one
yup, that's how a lot of manufacturers make claims about their cars. all "sold" / "allocated", but it's more like all current production pushed to dealers already
Old 06-30-10, 11:07 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, that's how a lot of manufacturers make claims about their cars. all "sold" / "allocated", but it's more like all current production pushed to dealers already
Are you saying manufacturers/dealers ... are...

...<gulp>....

...... dishonest????.....

I don't believe it!!!

Note: 5 Camaros at our "sold out" dealership
Obama Motors RULES!!!!!
Old 06-30-10, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I went to the BMW dealership and checked out the new 5. Its a nice car but its way over priced and I have more room in the GS350. I am sure it drives beautifully and has that bimmer charm but 67k for a mid size luxury sedan is a bit..............well German I guess would sum it up. LOL

I agree on the 5-series' superb road manners, but, l like you note, you pay dearly for it. I've yet to see many (if any) vehicles listing for over 40K (new) that I felt were worth the money.That's just about the limit that I would pay for a new car.
Old 06-30-10, 11:39 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

YES!! I'd hit it over and over again!

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403526
Old 06-30-10, 11:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
gs350 has more room than the new 5 series? wow, even i own the gs350 and i can't remotely say the same. same with my wife, she says the 5 series has a lot more space including the trunk
at 6'5" my knees are a lot closer to the dash than they are in the GS. The headroom was slightly better in the bimmer. As it is I cant put my hand between the roof of the car and my head. The trunk in the bimmer is much larger than the GS ( that doesnt say much though considering the trunk is so damn small). I like the look of the new 5 but BMW looks like they are styling all of their cars to look exactly the same but with different sizes. The 3,5, and 7 look so similar. when the new 3 series is released it will be even more similar in shape to its bigger brothers
Old 06-30-10, 11:42 AM
LexFather

Cars on lots can be pre-sold.....

the 5 series is vastly roomier than the GS and it is now based on the 7 series platform. The 5 is a bigger vehicle than the GS. Personally I like the GS size and have no issues with space, I don't drive the President around so backseat space isn't a giant priority

To me it is well worth the money but that is my opinion. I felt like it was worth it whereas when I drove the M56 it felt very overpriced.

Old 06-30-10, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

with a 5 series you wouldn't have to do as may of the mods you've done to your GS to make it handle well.
Old 06-30-10, 01:45 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

the 5 series is vastly roomier than the GS and it is now based on the 7 series platform. The 5 is a bigger vehicle than the GS. Personally I like the GS size and have no issues with space, I don't drive the President around so backseat space isn't a giant priority

To me it is well worth the money but that is my opinion. I felt like it was worth it whereas when I drove the M56 it felt very overpriced.
Only the 5GT is based on a modified 7 series platform while the F10 5 series has its own platform.
Old 06-30-10, 02:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I was referring to the drivers leg room actually. I have more room for me in my GS than I did in the new 5. I agree that when I look at the M and the new 5 I feel like the Infiniti is overpriced as well
Old 06-30-10, 02:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with a 5 series you wouldn't have to do as may of the mods you've done to your GS to make it handle well.
True......but my GS still doesnt handle well
Old 06-30-10, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol true, my m3 is so stock
Old 06-30-10, 02:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

oh come on ...your M3 is THE sports car. The GS is not even in the same universe. LOL
Old 06-30-10, 02:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh come on ...your M3 is THE sports car. The GS is not even in the same universe. LOL
haha, no, i mean that's how good stock is on bmw. i can imagine if i had the isf, i would have gotten coilovers and probably rear sway

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)