Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 07:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new 5 really does look 96% like the 3.
Old 11-24-09, 07:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The new 5 have the same old boring BMW interior, I guess BMW will never learn
The new BMW interiors are not boring once you sit in it and experience the various creature comforts. The new I-drive is leaps & bounds better than the old version, Audi's MMI, and the Lexus system. The resolution & available internet access alone makes the systems inside of the competition comparable to a Commodore 64

Ipod integration, heated steering wheel, vat dyed leather (no semi anything), fit & finish of these cars speak volumes.

This 5 will have many configuration options available including the ability to customize your car through the BMW individual program.

Bring on the mighty M5!
Old 11-24-09, 07:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The new I-drive is leaps & bounds better than the old version, Audi's MMI, and the Lexus system.
That is certainly the first time I've heard that. Have you used Remote Touch yet? The fact that it is free-moving and follows your tactile inputs makes it a lot more intuitive than a ****, IMO.
Old 11-24-09, 07:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That is certainly the first time I've heard that. Have you used Remote Touch yet? The fact that it is free-moving and follows your tactile inputs makes it a lot more intuitive than a ****, IMO.
Dude, look at the source.

I honestly have no issues with BMW going back to one sausage style, 3 different lengths

Old 11-24-09, 07:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Yes I have experienced remote touch. It reminds me of an Xbox 360 joystick. Plastic and cheap feeling. The Nav screen is similar to the old school Magellan Roadmate 300's. See my behind the wheel pics below for reference.

No comparison to the new I-drive interface.
Old 11-24-09, 07:58 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Every articles I read agree that Lexus' remote touch is a better execution than the rotating *****. Sure everybody gets used to something eventually, heck, even the 1st gen i-Drive will be second nature to those who have been used it over a long period of time. The catch here is which one is more intuitive and requires least amount of the training curve.
Old 11-24-09, 08:03 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good.

The only thing bothering me are those creases on the hood which somehow disrupt the flow of the rather pleasing design. The wider kidney grille hood enables the car to appear more masculine, broad-shouldered (aka sporty and subtly aggressive) and wider (visually), which I think are attributes that any BMW sedan should have - and this car, judging from the photos, has 'em.

When I see the machine in real life I will be able to make up my mind but for now it looks good. Really good.
Old 11-24-09, 08:03 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Yes I have experienced remote touch. It reminds me of an Xbox 360 joystick. Plastic and cheap feeling. The Nav screen is similar to the old school Magellan Roadmate 300's.
Okay, just to make you feel better... Hey Lexus, can you do the following to improve the remote touch?

1. Make the screen larger and brighter (legit improvement)

2. gold-plate, platinum-plate or even titanium-plate the remote touch controls so the haters don't have to ***** about it...

However, it still doesn't change the fact that the remote touch is a better EXECUTION and more user friend than the "*****".

We are talking about the "function" part here, not the quality of the material or screen size. Geez...
Old 11-24-09, 08:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new BMW interiors are not boring once you sit in it and experience the various creature comforts. The new I-drive is leaps & bounds better than the old version, Audi's MMI, and the Lexus system. The resolution & available internet access alone makes the systems inside of the competition comparable to a Commodore 64

Ipod integration, heated steering wheel, vat dyed leather (no semi anything), fit & finish of these cars speak volumes.

This 5 will have many configuration options available including the ability to customize your car through the BMW individual program.

Bring on the mighty M5!
The BMW's interior can have the technology of the space shuttle and it will still be boring because it looks like it belongs in the a funeral home. They need to spice up their interior design and step into the 21th century.
I had some seat time with the new i-drive, although it has improve, it is still not as user friendly as the Audi MMI or the Lexus system. BMW basically copy Audi's MMI system by using the four corner buttons. Audi just introduce the gen 3 MMI which is better than BMW's latest version of the I-drive. As far as the Lexus system, it just doesn’t get much easier to use, BMW is way behind Lexus as far as intuitiveness.
I don’t think anyone have question BMW's interior material or their technology, most of the complains are for interior styling. BMW is a traditional company, but does their designs have to be so boring in order to stay traditional?
Old 11-24-09, 08:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I guess we just have a different view of what works on an interior, Sean. To me, a **** that can only rotate or be pushed is a lot less intuitive than something with a free range of motion like a joy stick. I also feel like the shape of the controller is more natural when resting your hand on it. Idrive doesn't have a similar support, by design.

I welcome an open-minded conversation on the issue but saying that Remote Touch feels like cheap plastic and that the nav screen looks like your "old Magellan" just doesn't really make you seem all that... open-minded.
Old 11-24-09, 08:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to agree with Dash here, the remote touch is awful and cheap. But saying that I-drive is "leaps & bounds better than the old version, Audi's MMI, and the Lexus system", is like saying that swine flu is leaps and bounds better than anthrax, aids and syphilis.
Old 11-24-09, 08:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Okay, just to make you feel better... Hey Lexus, can you do the following to improve the remote touch?

1. Make the screen larger and brighter (legit improvement)

2. gold-plate, platinum-plate or even titanium-plate the remote touch controls so the haters don't have to ***** about it...

However, it still doesn't change the fact that the remote touch is a better EXECUTION and more user friend than the "*****".

We are talking about the "function" part here, not the quality of the material or screen size. Geez...
The new i-drive interface is much easier to use than remote touch. the implementation of the menu, back & other buttons around the **** make the use and guess work a no brainer.
Think I-pod with the addition of shortcut buttons.

Your experience OF BOTH is based on the following correct?
Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Every articles I read agree that Lexus' remote touch is a better execution than the rotating *****

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 11-24-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-24-09, 08:18 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Your experience OF BOTH is based on the following correct?
I've had the HS250h for one week with the remote touch and 328i with the iDrive for 6 days so umm... yeah, I've experienced both.

Although it's not pointless about what you think but when 99.9% of the auto editors all agree that the remote touch is a better execution in terms of functionality and user friendly (read: NOT quality and screen size) then I think it's pretty obvious which one is the better system.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 11-24-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-24-09, 08:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
The BMW's interior can have the technology of the space shuttle and it will still be boring because it looks like it belongs in the a funeral home. They need to spice up their interior design and step into the 21th century.
I had some seat time with the new i-drive, although it has improve, it is still not as user friendly as the Audi MMI or the Lexus system. BMW basically copy Audi's MMI system by using the four corner buttons. Audi just introduce the gen 3 MMI which is better than BMW's latest version of the I-drive. As far as the Lexus system, it just doesn’t get much easier to use, BMW is way behind Lexus as far as intuitiveness.
I don’t think anyone have question BMW's interior material or their technology, most of the complains are for interior styling. BMW is a traditional company, but does their designs have to be so boring in order to stay traditional?
The new i-drive interface does not have 4 buttons. The Audi screen & interface still needs work.....lol.. Lets just agree to disagree here.
Old 11-24-09, 08:21 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I will give nav resolution and display to BMW. I love the widescreen idea and the topography on the cities is really cool. Kudos to their graphics department.

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)