Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 08:24 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The BMW's interior can have the technology of the space shuttle and it will still be boring because it looks like it belongs in the a funeral home. They need to spice up their interior design and step into the 21th century.
Says who exactly? Lexus fans? Housewives filling out surveys for Consumer Reports?

Futuristic interior design might suit Lexus very well, but BMW is a completely different company with different philosophies. Your typical BMW interior is design with a sporty atmosphere in mind and I think they do this very well.

I've mentioned this before, but despite Lexus interiors being nice, I cannot appreciate them from a design point of view. The current LS interior for example is very futuristic from a styling point of view and it lacks elegance and simplicity. It's overall very busy and lacks character. The new 7 series cabin is simpler, from a styling perspective, but this simplicity, to me, actually creates a kind of elegance and class totally absent from the LS cabin. Again, this is MY opinion. Different folks see things differently.

Originally Posted by The G Man
BMW is a traditional company, but does their designs have to be so boring in order to stay traditional?
Interior design, as with any design, is purely subjective. You might find the design boring, someone else appreciates it and finds it beautiful or even exciting.
Old 11-24-09, 08:28 AM
LexFather

Again, look at the source ....BMW could have an arrow and a door **** in the car with a black and white T.V and we would be told its better and its heritage and the controls were made by only decedents of kings and queens in China.

Popular Mechanics is pretty unbiased and knows a thing or two about technology. Remote Touch won their technical innovation award.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4335125.html

As automobiles accumulate more and more advanced electronic functions, how do you control them? Newer systems attempt to access nearly every automotive function with a single-point controller. And every strategy has had drawbacks—except for Lexus’s new Remote Touch.

This haptic system works just like a computer mouse: You guide an arrow on the car’s main screen and click a button at the controller’s base with your thumb to make a selection. It offers subtle but effective force feedback to let the operator know when the cursor has crossed to a different function or onto a virtual button. And you can dial in exactly the amount of feedback you want.

This brilliant system is the solution we’ve been waiting for. Remote Touch is only available on the Lexus HS250h and RX 350.

Old 11-24-09, 08:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
Says who exactly? Lexus fans? Housewives filling out surveys for Consumer Reports?

Futuristic interior design might suit Lexus very well, but BMW is a completely different company with different philosophies. Your typical BMW interior is design with a sporty atmosphere in mind and I think they do this very well.

I've mentioned this before, but despite Lexus interiors being nice, I cannot appreciate them from a design point of view. The current LS interior for example is very futuristic from a styling point of view and it lacks elegance and simplicity. It's overall very busy and lacks character. The new 7 series cabin is simpler, from a styling perspective, but this simplicity, to me, actually creates a kind of elegance and class totally absent from the LS cabin. Again, this is MY opinion. Different folks see things differently.

Interior design, as with any design, is purely subjective. You might find the design boring, someone else appreciates it and finds it beautiful or even exciting.
Wow, another jab at Lexus. Then you ask for people to be "unbiased". Facts are Audi and Lexus are seen as the leaders and best in interior design. You might not like it but clearly most and the experts do. BMWs have NEVER been known for interiors, that is not their forte, the driving experience is. Lexus has always been revered for incredible interiors but a less involving driving experience. Every EUROPEAN review raves about the Lexus interiors and the "spec" you get.

Some of you would have us believe that Lexus does nothing good or great and the Germans do everything better.

Old 11-24-09, 08:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again, look at the source ....BMW could have an arrow and a door **** in the car with a black and white T.V and we would be told its better and its heritage and the controls were made by only decedents of kings and queens in China.

Popular Mechanics is pretty unbiased and knows a thing or two about technology. Remote Touch won their technical innovation award.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4335125.html

As automobiles accumulate more and more advanced electronic functions, how do you control them? Newer systems attempt to access nearly every automotive function with a single-point controller. And every strategy has had drawbacks—except for Lexus’s new Remote Touch.

This haptic system works just like a computer mouse: You guide an arrow on the car’s main screen and click a button at the controller’s base with your thumb to make a selection. It offers subtle but effective force feedback to let the operator know when the cursor has crossed to a different function or onto a virtual button. And you can dial in exactly the amount of feedback you want.

This brilliant system is the solution we’ve been waiting for. Remote Touch is only available on the Lexus HS250h and RX 350.
Sorry, but this whole theory falls apart when you consider the fact that trying to align a mouse cursor with an icon while driving is simply unsafe. Thus Lexus pretty much disables the whole functionality of this controller while the car is in motion, rendering its useless.

The BMW systems is much better. It does have a learning curve and can be confusing, but navigating while the car is in motion isn't too bad. Quick glance at the screen, turn the **** that "clicks" with every time, so you know how many clicks you need till you've scrolled to where you want it. That being said, its still an awful system, I personally much prefer traditional buttons.
Old 11-24-09, 08:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
LOL, if you make a ridiculous claim that LS460 interior lacks elegance and simplicity, do yourself a favor and don't even bring up the 7 series in the same paragraph.
Old 11-24-09, 08:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Sorry, but this whole theory falls apart when you consider the fact that trying to align a mouse cursor with an icon while driving is simply unsafe. Thus Lexus pretty much disables the whole functionality of this controller while the car is in motion, rendering its useless.

The BMW systems is much better. It does have a learning curve and can be confusing, but navigating while the car is in motion isn't too bad. Quick glance at the screen, turn the **** that "clicks" with every time, so you know how many clicks you need till you've scrolled to where you want it. That being said, its still an awful system, I personally much prefer traditional buttons.
I've said from day one I prefer touch screen, I am not a fan of any "controller". I've tried iDrive/Remote Touch and Remote Touch is easier to figure out. I'm sure over time, you can figure out iDrive. However every single review since that controller has been created has said its pretty ridiculous, short and long term ones. Reviews have said remote touch is very simple and easy to use. Of course on the internetz, some owners will tell us iDrive is perfect while others have stated it is nutty, even with improvements.

That said we have had huge discussions on these controllers, so we all need to move back to talking about the new 5 series. I'll let a few answers in before I ask we all talk about the 5.

Old 11-24-09, 08:44 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Wow, another jab at Lexus. Then you ask for people to be "unbiased". Facts are Audi and Lexus are seen as the leaders and best in interior design. You might not like it but clearly most and the experts do. BMWs have NEVER been known for interiors, that is not their forte, the driving experience is. Lexus has always been revered for incredible interiors but a less involving driving experience.
A jab at Lexus? Oh please. I said IN MY OPINION the LS interior has some deficiencies. That is my opinion. Besides, do you see me attacking the quality anywhere? I criticized the design of the LS cabin. Design is subjective. Period.

Also, Lexus interiors, TO ME, are overrated. They're good, but they're not as "good" as they are made out to be - in my opinion of course. If you ask me most interiors from all the big brands are more or less on the same level. There is no real better than or worse than here. Everything else is purely subjective.

Every EUROPEAN review raves about the Lexus interiors and the "spec" you get.
Really? A number of British reviews for example have cited the LS interior to be inferior to that of their German rivals. I seem to even recall a French review which said the same thing.

I won't get into German reviews since I know what you will say about them.

Some of you would have us believe that Lexus does nothing good or great and the Germans do everything better.
Old 11-24-09, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The new BMW interiors are not boring once you sit in it and experience the various creature comforts. The new I-drive is leaps & bounds better than the old version, Audi's MMI, and the Lexus system. The resolution & available internet access alone makes the systems inside of the competition comparable to a Commodore 64

Ipod integration, heated steering wheel, vat dyed leather (no semi anything), fit & finish of these cars speak volumes.

This 5 will have many configuration options available including the ability to customize your car through the BMW individual program.

Bring on the mighty M5!
well i am pretty sure people know you are biased toward bmw. idrive (even the new one) better than the lexus system? you have to be one of the first i hear that. i have idrive, and i have used the new idrive a lot too. it's very slow compared to lexus, and it's never easy to use i have to say. the new lexus remote touch system is also better than the idrive in terms of interface, my wife and i both think so. every time we use the idrive system we curse about it (and unfortunately a lot of other bmw owners i know comment the same thing)
Old 11-24-09, 08:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, if you make a ridiculous claim that LS460 interior lacks elegance and simplicity, do yourself a favor and don't even bring up the 7 series in the same paragraph.
You heard my SUBJECTIVE OPINION.

I'll say it again for your benefit. The new 7 series interior looks great to me. Simple, elegant and classy. The LS cabin is too busy and complex (futuristic) from a design standpoint.

You might like it, I don't. That's the difference.
Old 11-24-09, 08:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I've said from day one I prefer touch screen, I am not a fan of any "controller". I've tried iDrive/Remote Touch and Remote Touch is easier to figure out. I'm sure over time, you can figure out iDrive. However every single review since that controller has been created has said its pretty ridiculous, short and long term ones. Reviews have said remote touch is very simple and easy to use. Of course on the internetz, some owners will tell us iDrive is perfect while others have stated it is nutty, even with improvements.

That said we have had huge discussions on these controllers, so we all need to move back to talking about the new 5 series. I'll let a few answers in before I ask we all talk about the 5.
Well, like I said, the I-drive is confusing at first, and does require a learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, its not that bad. But remote touch, while more or less straight forward and easier to comprehend, its still rendered nearly useless since you cant use it while driving. At least remote touch is optional equipment, and thankfully hasn't yet infested most of Lexus models.
Old 11-24-09, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, like I said, the I-drive is confusing at first, and does require a learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, its not that bad. But remote touch, while more or less straight forward and easier to comprehend, its still rendered nearly useless since you cant use it while driving. At least remote touch is optional equipment, and thankfully hasn't yet infested most of Lexus models.
must be one hell of a learning curve, almost a yr and i am still cursing the system. and i consider myself a pretty fast learner, i learned about the remote touch in about 5 seconds.
Old 11-24-09, 08:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
must be one hell of a learning curve, almost a yr and i am still cursing the system. and i consider myself a pretty fast learner, i learned about the remote touch in about 5 seconds.
Well thus my statements is that comparing these systems is like comparing STD's.
Old 11-24-09, 08:58 AM
LexFather

well i am pretty sure people know you are biased toward bmw. idrive (even the new one) better than the lexus system? you have to be one of the first i hear that. i have idrive, and i have used the new idrive a lot too. it's very slow compared to lexus, and it's never easy to use i have to say. the new lexus remote touch system is also better than the idrive in terms of interface, my wife and i both think so. every time we use the idrive system we curse about it (and unfortunately a lot of other bmw owners i know comment the same thing)
Thank you Henry for the much needed sanity.....

Originally Posted by Och
Well thus my statements is that comparing these systems is like comparing STD's.
I guess some people like defending their STD?

Old 11-24-09, 09:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your M3 has the old i-drive & my 07 335 had the very same i-drive. The old interface is no comparison to the new version. Are you sure you've utilized the new interface?? There is absolutley no delay as there was in the old version. You seriously believe that the Lexus system is better in terms of interface??? Alright now.. I need to pull out my Atari 2600 & tout that it is better than a PS3.
Old 11-24-09, 09:43 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new BMW interiors are not boring once you sit in it and experience the various creature comforts. The new I-drive is leaps & bounds better than the old version, Audi's MMI, and the Lexus system. The resolution & available internet access alone makes the systems inside of the competition comparable to a Commodore 64

Ipod integration, heated steering wheel, vat dyed leather (no semi anything), fit & finish of these cars speak volumes.

This 5 will have many configuration options available including the ability to customize your car through the BMW individual program.

Bring on the mighty M5!
The new i-drive interface is much easier to use than remote touch. the implementation of the menu, back & other buttons around the **** make the use and guess work a no brainer.
Think I-pod with the addition of shortcut buttons.

Your experience OF BOTH is based on the following correct?
You must be high. The new Idrive is light years better than the old system, but in no way better than Remote Touch. It is very similar to Audi's MMI, and much better than MB Command. I have recently used all of these sytems, including the new Idrive and you're way off base. It's an improvement but not industry leading by any stretch of the imagination.

The new i-drive interface does not have 4 buttons. The Audi screen & interface still needs work.....lol.. Lets just agree to disagree here.
Again, wtf are you talking about? It certainly does have four buttons, five actually if you include the menu button. Pretty much an exact copy of Audi's MMI set up.

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)