Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 01:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Why so much hate for the last gen 5 though?
Three words. Chris Bangle design
Old 11-24-09, 01:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Edmunds has a first drive of the Infiniti M56
Unfortunately I would say that review was relatively luke warm. They certainly didn't walk away impressed. With a car that has 420hp I would have also expected more about the driving experience or acceleration but the information on both was sparse.
Old 11-24-09, 01:31 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
agreed. it was a controversial, love/hate design.
Old 11-24-09, 01:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Unfortunately I would say that review was relatively luke warm. They certainly didn't walk away impressed. With a car that has 420hp I would have also expected more about the driving experience or acceleration but the information on both was sparse.
They said even the G37x felt sportier than the 56...420hp is nice. Surely the new 7 speed helps MPG but the GS and now 5 have an 8 speed. I don't like the fact it has changed so quick, the E and 5 were out years before this car and noq they all debut around the same time. I like the fact Lexus is sticking to its product cycle and when the new GS debuts, it will bring some fresh air to this crowded segment.

Overall it seems well done but now that we can see the new 5 and see how it as been launched what a difference. BMW teased slightly then WHAM, here is the new 5 series, much more effective. I also am really lukewarm to the M56 styling while this new 5 seems pretty nice.

Old 11-24-09, 01:40 PM
LexFather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFaG...layer_embedded

Old 11-24-09, 02:48 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Real life shots:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325055

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325064
Old 11-24-09, 03:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This new 5-series really is my speed. I'm liking this a lot. Classy yet sporty and dynamic. Not a wierd or awkward angle on this car. The interior is very nice as well. The design is easy on the eyes with just the right amount of wood, chrome and leather throughout. Plus you can still get it with a traditional 6-speed manual for all models? I'm sold.

In short, IMO this new 5-series is the equivalent to business casual dress.
Old 11-24-09, 03:44 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GFerg
This new 5-series really is my speed. I'm liking this a lot. Classy yet sporty and dynamic. Not a wierd or awkward angle on this car. The interior is very nice as well. The design is easy on the eyes with just the right amount of wood, chrome and leather throughout. Plus you can still get it with a traditional 6-speed manual for all models? I'm sold.

In short, IMO this new 5-series is the equivalent to business casual dress.
Spot on description, GFerg.

Oh, and by the looks of it; they finally got the cup holders right. The e60 cup holders are atrocious. Your drink ends up on your pants by the end of the ride. The e34 didn't even have cup holders, I think.
Old 11-24-09, 04:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this car is definitely gaining points by my book
Old 11-24-09, 04:35 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I would agree 100% that the F10 is handsome.

However, to say that the F10 is handsome while the 3GS is boring is like saying Roseanne Barr is fat but Rosie O'Donnell is big boned...

I got no problem giving credit when credit is due, just that the double standard is really annoying.
Old 11-24-09, 05:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Oh man, this car is quickly growing on me. I really hated it when I just saw the front end teaser shots. Such a classy car. I am loving it so far.

I am not sure if Lexus can top that with the new 4GS. It will be pretty difficult.
Old 11-24-09, 06:45 PM
LexFather

I agree looks pretty damn good. What is shocking is WHEEL GAP on a BMW

Old 11-24-09, 07:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
New 5-series interior:

New 7-series interior:

BMW... YOU ROCK!!!
Ah, good point...not only does the exterior seem very, very similar to the 7 and 3, the interior is a scaled-down version as well. I find this interesting, because it takes the one car, cookie-cutter size mentality further. While I still like the way this car looks, especially vs. the prior gen, and note the improved interior, it does seem to be a bit less individualistic. Still, if they fixed those cupholders, and removed the strange wave-like center aspect, that's something better.

Interestingly, Lexus seems to have taken a more diverse approach to their interiors lately, each with a different character. The widescreen NAVI could be added to the RX in a refresh, should it prove the trend du jour, but overall Remote Touch and its features+interior are a worthy rival to iDrive and its related elements IMO.

I like the business suit characterization for the 5, that has also been used for the E and other vehicles. It hits the bread-and-butter luxury market.
Old 11-24-09, 07:25 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Yeah BMW usually does a great job of filling out their wheel wells with the stock wheels. I noticed the new Z4 has an unhealthy amount of wheel gap too
Old 11-24-09, 09:06 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
I would agree 100% that the F10 is handsome.

However, to say that the F10 is handsome while the 3GS is boring is like saying Roseanne Barr is fat but Rosie O'Donnell is big boned...

I got no problem giving credit when credit is due, just that the double standard is really annoying.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yeah, I know that, but IMO it and the 6 are the only cars which it looks good on.

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)