Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kawasaki returns the Z1000 to the U.S. in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 09:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kawasaki returns the Z1000 to the U.S. in 2010

2010 Kawasaki Z1000 Unveiled
The Z is back! Hurray!

News Link

The Z1000 returns for the American market in 2010, and once again we should be thankful that Kawasaki had enough to spare.

Receiving cosmetic updates again, the new Z retains its aggressive but unique styling.

Though the change is subtle, the headlamp/flyscreen is altered slightly, giving the Z an even sleeker, meaner face, and the headlight is Kawasaki’s first use of a “line-beam unit.” A new LCD instrument panel, visible through an orange lens, can be tilted for better viewing angles.

The inverted 41mm fork picked compression damping adjustment for a now fully adjustable front-end, and a new shroud over the fork tubes make it look like one, big stout unit.

Also, a new chin fairing helps camouflage exhaust headers while additional pieces cover the mid-pipe portion just fore of the dual exhaust cans that engineers made shorter than on the 2007-08 Z1000 thanks to the use of an under-engine pre-chamber. Otherwise, the exhaust retains the “quad” look.

But more importantly, the engine is all-new. On the surface it would seem some type of variation on the screamin’-fast ZX-10R powerplant. However, Kawi says the engine isn’t borrowed from the Ninja.

The previous Z had a bore and stroke of 77.2 x 50.9mm, unchanged from the first generation Z’s 953cc displacement. The 2010 model now sports 77 x 56mm bore and stroke figures – exactly 1mm over the ZX-10R’s 76 x 55mm – for an engine displacing 1,043cc. Compression ratio is 11.8:1, and fueling is handled by a bank of 38mm Keihin throttle bodies.

The new Z also has longer airbox intake snorkels compared to those on the big Ninja’s mill, with the benefit being improved mid-range. A secondary balance shaft eliminates excess vibes, but Kawi also says “a little bit of character is designed in.” Hmm…

The Z’s air-intake system uses ducts just ahead of the fuel tank, a placement Kawasaki says lets the rider “savor the bold sound of screaming air being sucked into the engine’s downdraft intakes.” The company claims the Z’s engine to be noticeably smoother and quicker above 7,000 rpm.
A six-speed gearbox utilizes crankshaft and transmission shafts arranged in a straight line instead of a triangular layout.

Kawasaki isn’t able to reveal precise horsepower claims yet, but a safe guess would have the new Z engine turning out well beyond 120 rwhp. Kawasaki did, however, remark that the new Z produces the same torque as the ZX10, but the Z’s peak allegedly is 900 rpm lower.

The new Z receives an all-new aluminum frame, a nice upgrade over the steel chassis used on previous Z1000s.

The frame beams curve over the engine, just like on the ZX-10R, creating an overall narrower mid-section. The engine, working as a stressed member of the frame, is solid bolted at three places, with a rubber mount at the upper rear of the crankcase.

Team Green explains that “wherever possible, welds were eliminated for a smooth, organic appearance,” citing the main frame and swingarm’s pivot areas are cast as a single unit as an example of the cleaned up appearance. The rear subframe is a three-piece aluminum die-casting.

A little poking and prodding at Kawi USA corporate revealed the mighty naked has 24.5 degrees of rake matched to 103mm (4.05 inches) of trail, and a 1440mm (56.7-inch) wheelbase.

Though a nearly 57-inch (two more than the ZX-10R) wheelbase isn’t in the realm of supersport machines, the big Z’s rake and trail are notably steeper than the ZX-10R’s 25.5 degrees and 4.3 inches. Spec sheet jockeying would indicate the updated Z should steer quickly yet be stable, too. Just like Kawi implies it will.

Judging by the images provided by Kawasaki, the 2010 Z1000’s radial-mount front brake calipers seem straight off the ZX-10R and 6R. The upgrade to those binders, a set we deemed some of the best in the business for their incredible power matched with brilliant levels of feel, is an update worth shouting from the mountaintop!

New five-spoke wheels, with spokes machined near the rims for a custom-wheel look, a solid-mount handlebar and aluminum footpegs lifted from the Ninja ZX-10R are some of the additional detail changes on the 2010 Z1000.

Lastly, Kawasaki explains the Z’s shock, with adjustable spring preload and rebound damping, is now positioned horizontally, and the seat height is apparently lower than previous models of the Z.

Bang-for-the-buck buyers are going to love its $10,499 MSRP, just $700 more than a 2009 ZX-6R. Estimated delivery to dealers is sometime in December.

Old 11-23-09, 09:47 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what an excruciatingly garish exhaust design.

i approve.
Old 11-23-09, 09:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Riding position seems fairly comfortable
Old 11-23-09, 10:00 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the 04+ Z1000s and 2010 looks amazing. I am already interested in getting one. I just wish they didn't have those horrible quad pipes from factory.
Old 11-23-09, 10:04 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Allen K
Riding position seems fairly comfortable
That's what naked bikes are all about...
Old 11-23-09, 10:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by whoster
what an excruciatingly garish exhaust design.

i approve.

The previous versions were far worse.

'03-'06

'07-'08
Old 11-23-09, 10:30 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's what naked bikes are all about...
And it's nice to see that the American market is finally starting to really appreciate the naked/streetfigther bikes.

I really like the Zed's, and have since their inception. Even if some of the styling was questionable. They are a great, do it all, real world bike. Enough performance to take to a track-day, while ergonomical enough to commute on everyday, or even take on a weekend road trip. Sure, it's not gonna turn better lap times than a ZX-10, or be as comfy going down the road as a C-14, but it's a great compromise for someone who can only afford one bike in the garage.

It's high on my list as a replacement for my 90 ZX-10. But I'm still lusting after a new ZX-14
Old 11-23-09, 11:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

No doubt very fast, looks just okay. What's the fascination these days with naked bikes?
Old 11-23-09, 11:13 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
...What's the fascination these days with naked bikes?
For those of us that just about live on a bike in good weather, a lot of it has to do with the semi-utilitarian nature of the bikes, as well as not looking like 'Ricky-racer' with all the body-work.

Fully-faired sportbikes, often tend to also be very racetrack oriented. Ergonomics are designed for someone who is 5'6" and 120lbs. And the motor and chassis are usually tuned in such a way that makes them almost too aggressive for daily street riding.

The modern nakeds have 90% of the performance of RR's (which is still more than anyone really needs) while still being user-friendly enough to commute on everyday without twisting yourself up like a pretzel.

They've become very popular with those of us in the 30+ crowd who want good performance, but in an everyday bike.
Old 11-23-09, 11:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaseman
For those of us that just about live on a bike in good weather, a lot of it has to do with the semi-utilitarian nature of the bikes, as well as not looking like 'Ricky-racer' with all the body-work.

Fully-faired sportbikes, often tend to also be very racetrack oriented. Ergonomics are designed for someone who is 5'6" and 120lbs. And the motor and chassis are usually tuned in such a way that makes them almost too aggressive for daily street riding.

The modern nakeds have 90% of the performance of RR's (which is still more than anyone really needs) while still being user-friendly enough to commute on everyday without twisting yourself up like a pretzel.

They've become very popular with those of us in the 30+ crowd who want good performance, but in an everyday bike.
Thanks. Since I've been out of active motorcycling for well over a decade I appreciate the info here.
Old 11-23-09, 11:21 AM
Koma

I'm 23 and I want a sport bike. I weigh 150lbs at around 5'6".
I've sat on a couple of sport bikes before in the 600cc class. I need to lower the bike to flat foot.

So everything except the height thing I think is on point about the typical buyer of a full fairing sport bike.
Old 11-23-09, 11:32 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm 23 and I want a sport bike. I weigh 150lbs at around 5'6".
I've sat on a couple of sport bikes before in the 600cc class. I need to lower the bike to flat foot.

So everything except the height thing I think is on point about the typical buyer of a full fairing sport bike.
It's not necessarily that the typical buyer fits that description, but the typical factory racer does! And a modern supersport is designed primarily for the racetrack first. Lights, tags, etc.. are all tacked on as an afterthought. A factory rider at the track isn't expected to flatfoot the bike at stoplights every 2 minutes, or back the thing out of a parking spot, either, like the rest of us.
Old 11-23-09, 11:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

^^^

Well said.

For example, compare the Ducati 1198S (full-fairing) to the Streetfighter (naked).

Both weight about 375 lbs dry, but both differ in power (170 vs 155 hp) and riding position:

Old 11-23-09, 11:40 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Thanks. Since I've been out of active motorcycling for well over a decade I appreciate the info here.
No biggie.

I'm 6'2", and at 37 years old, can really appreciate the appeal of the nakeds for an everyday bike. After spending most of my life on 2-wheels, I'd have no problem handling a modern race replica on a daily basis, at least as skill level goes. But my body just doesn't like it anymore.

I rode my buddies Gixxer 1k, and while it was comfortable in the twisties, getting to and from work during the week would just be a nightmare. My knees were into my chest, and elbows stuck out like albatros wings! That, and with an RR bike, every kid in a hopped-up Civic wants to test you. Naked bikes fly a little more under the radar.
Old 11-23-09, 11:43 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Now if I could only have one bike, that might just have my name all over it. Unfortunately, I couldn't sport-tour with the wife real easily on it.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki returns the Z1000 to the U.S. in 2010