Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Now that I have seen a few 2010 E Classes on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 10:00 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone here actually driven one?

The exterior styling is going to be subjective. They have a couple sedans side by side in my local dealer and imo, the new one is markedly better. Ironically, it's actually cheaper to buy a new one than an '09. Even the sales guys are having a tough time figuring out how they're going to move the remaining '09's.

The drive is fantastic. It's exactly what MB intends it to be a comfortable, quiet, luxurious ride. The E350 4matic that we drove a couple of times isn't a race car, but is everything you could want in a family sized sedan.

I agree that the coupe is better looking, but the rear seats in it are essentially useless.

Now the E63....pure understated beauty with the performance to match.
Old 11-24-09, 10:05 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have similar reactions when I looked carefully at the new E-class both inside and out. Nice enough but leaves me a bit cold. I previously was critical of some the exterior design details/cliches including roofline, squarish inboard headlamps, Hyundai taillamps, longish overhangs, rear fender fake swoops, etc.

The styling of the current C, S, CLS, and CL is more cohesive IMO.

The coupe does catch my eye, but I don't hate the E sedan.

I haven't bothered to drive one yet because I know the experience is similar to the current C-class, quite nice and roomier. I did drive a previous gen E350 for a week and it was fine.
Old 11-24-09, 10:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
For some of us who hates the current E class, we love the old E class. It was perfect in our eyes.
I said it before , I like the current C class even better than the new E (which was not the case with the last C class)

Now if we said ALL MB is butt ugly, then that's being biased.
Agreed, I think the last gen was so well received that it would've been extremely difficult to improve upon it. That said, I like the interior and the front of the car but the back is meh mainly because the Asian brands have been using a similar style for so long.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Has anyone here actually driven one?

The exterior styling is going to be subjective. They have a couple sedans side by side in my local dealer and imo, the new one is markedly better. Ironically, it's actually cheaper to buy a new one than an '09. Even the sales guys are having a tough time figuring out how they're going to move the remaining '09's.

The drive is fantastic. It's exactly what MB intends it to be a comfortable, quiet, luxurious ride. The E350 4matic that we drove a couple of times isn't a race car, but is everything you could want in a family sized sedan.

I agree that the coupe is better looking, but the rear seats in it are essentially useless.

Now the E63....pure understated beauty with the performance to match.
I agree. I test drove the 350 RWD and had some intensive time behind the wheel of my dad's last gen E350. Overall, I like the way the new E drives. It's still as comfortable as the last E, but is also bit more confidence inspiring when being spiritedly driven . The engine was a bit of a disappointment though. The car should get better once they add the DI V6
Old 11-24-09, 11:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agreed, I think the last gen was so well received that it would've been extremely difficult to improve upon it. That said, I like the interior and the front of the car but the back is meh mainly because the Asian brands have been using a similar style for so long.
Yes, but the area of improvement needing the most attention with all Mercedes is the reliability, (including the 2003-2009 E-class).

And there is a good chance that has been successfully addressed as it was done with the current gen C-class. In my experience with Mercedes only a complete redesign accomplishs real improvements in reliability.
Old 11-24-09, 01:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im sorry but the last generation of mercedes with the round headlights was unattractive. For that reason alone, I would not buy an MB from with that design language. It was just so "chinsy"

now the new one with its sharp edges and squared off proportions looks a lot better. Maybe the rear is a bit of a let down but the front of it is almost perfect
Old 11-24-09, 01:37 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess i'm the only who likes it... i thought it looked great..
Old 11-24-09, 01:56 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joe80
i guess i'm the only who likes it... i thought it looked great..
I like it to, I have seen a few on the road and can't wait to test drive them
Old 11-24-09, 04:31 PM
Milla...

I actually like this Korean butted one better than the last Japanese butted one.
Old 11-24-09, 05:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

funny that I was thinking the very same thing as the OP today. I saw one today on the freeway and I thought how it really didnt look as nice as I initially thought and I really do think the old generation looked nicer
Old 11-24-09, 06:16 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Whoever said the new E-class looks better in person than it does in pictures lied. .
i always call bullsh to anyone who says a car "looks better in person"

i have to wonder what a camera lens does that makes it different from what you see with your own eyes....
Old 11-24-09, 07:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Love the new E class. A return to the squarish Mercedes, which is what initially drew me to Mercedes.
Old 11-24-09, 08:34 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i always call bullsh to anyone who says a car "looks better in person"

i have to wonder what a camera lens does that makes it different from what you see with your own eyes....
You see in 3D.
Old 11-24-09, 08:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

yes, unless you have a 3D camera and 3D glasses, seeing it in person makes a TON of difference
Old 11-24-09, 08:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see what you're saying about the cabin. The windshield and rear window appear more upright than recent designs (of any car).

Also, that representative picture that you've attached... it really highlights the understated elegance of the E-Class. IOW, it's designed to withstand the test of time rather than look cool now and boring 3 years later. It really is just a slight evolution of the previous design (similar headlights but now squarish and classic MB taillight design).

It's not bad but if you're looking for something flashy, this car isn't it. One thing that does bug me is the lower body side chrome strip. It drops too low just behind the front wheels.
Old 11-25-09, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Design looks very americanized... especially the back... they should have made smaller S class.

Quick Reply: Now that I have seen a few 2010 E Classes on the road...