Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Now that I have seen a few 2010 E Classes on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In my experience with Mercedes only a complete redesign accomplishs real improvements in reliability.
thats true of any brand... but it is not that simple, powertrains can be problematic regardless of the car, it will be interesting to see what happens in 1-2 years when problems come out. I dont currently have any MB dealer friends, it would be fun to pick their brains
Old 11-25-09, 04:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats true of any brand... but it is not that simple, powertrains can be problematic regardless of the car, it will be interesting to see what happens in 1-2 years when problems come out. I dont currently have any MB dealer friends, it would be fun to pick their brains
to quote myself, checked on current TSB's and service campaigns on this new E class:
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/e-clas...212-sedan.html

12 current ones for vehicle 5-6 months old. Gotta love it. It also takes quite a while for TSB's to be written, it will be interesting to check 2 years after launch...
Old 11-26-09, 04:11 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Yep, pretty much. Considering that a car has two areas to look at (interior and exterior) I would say that having one of them as a slam dunk isn't that bad of a deal. The exterior is rather awkward and the interior is gorgeous.
There's actually more to a car than just the exterior and interior.

People buy the E class (or other cars in its class) based on a certain perception or appeal factor. I would think the E class stands for comfort, safety and much more (and it has the Mercedes badge upfront) and these perceptions are sometimes the deciding factor in car purchases rather than the design, inside and out. Just my two cents.

Unfortunately the rear of the E class looks a lot like these:

In MY opinion, the rear of the E just looks awful. Not only are the tail lights very reminiscent of many Asian economy cars, but they are also ridiculously disporportionate to the car. They are HUGE and take up an expanse of real estate. The shape of the GS's tails are somewhat generic but they are nicely sized and placed, and the detailing is nice. The same could be said for the 5 series. The M has a huge tail light problem but at least the detailing is unique and attractive.

I know what an American Accord and Sonata look like, but I have never been reminded of them when I see the rear of the new E class. In fact I find the rear quite suiting to the car as I cannot imagine the car with smaller rear lights like the last generation.

My only gripe with the new E class is the lack of the 7-speed automatic transmission on some of the smaller diesels. The E250 CDI for example has been winning awards in Europe but still comes with an antiquated 5-speed automatic. According to most reviews it does its job well but there is really no excuse why this car doesn't have the more modern 7-speed automatic.
Old 11-26-09, 04:18 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No the LS was not beautiful and it was bland and to me the new E-class looks like the old LS, not beautiful and bland. It could have debuted in 2001.
I actually think the original LS400 could still pass, with some slight design changes, for a 2000+ car. It's actually my favorite LS ever followed by the current LS.

Never had much going for the LS430. Performed well, was great value and nice features, but design wise, inside and out, it left me cold.

We cannot dismiss magazines when its convenient to for the sake of our opinion.
I'm not dismissing what the magazines say as they are entitled to their own opinions.

BUT, remember, the folks working for car magazines also have their personal opinions and biases. Best example? BMW and Driver, excuse me, Car and Driver.

TO me the C/E are the same, different size. The C-class gets it all right with the sport package. The E-class, way to busy even with the sport package.
I respect your opinion.

I'm seeing the new E class everyday here in various trims: taxi, elegance, sport, AMG sport body kit and so forth. I guess this exposure, at least in my case, allowed to appreciate the design quicker than others. I like the new E class from a styling point of view because I feel it combines the basic design of the last generation with some heavy early 1990s E class styling cues. Mercedes was never known for revolutionary design but rather for evolutionary (I can't think of any Mercedes design that screams "radical") and the new E class just continuous this tradition, I suppose.
Old 11-26-09, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have seen a lot of new e class on the road already, and i still don't like it at all, nothing like the previous generation where i loved it almost at first sight. the rear is just weird with the taillights and same with the front, the hard lines are very weird and the car loses a lot of classiness imho. the led fogs are "cool" but somehow i don't think they look "nice"

the e63 looks better with different bumper, but still doesn't help much

interior is definitely an improvement from previous generation, i like it a lot more. but i don't think it's my fav neither
Old 11-26-09, 09:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The new E is pretty bad. I really liked the last E and thought it was pretty much the best looking car in class especially with the recent refresh. The only thing I like about the new E is the front end treatment. The rear end is absolutely horrible and looks like a Hyundai. I saw one in person and thought it was ugly and bland and not nearly as nice as the previous one. It has a aggressive front end and then the rest of the car looks bland and out of proportion, it looks too small to me for some reason and smaller then the last model. The new interior design does not look good either. The last design looked much nicer but many pieces and plastics were cheap where I have read the quality has gone up in the newer one. Overall I think Mercedes did a bad job with the current E, the rear is terrible and does not look upmarket at all, I think they will be doing a styling update very soon on this car.
Old 11-26-09, 09:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Of course it's not that simple, but with Mercedes the powertrains weren't necessarily the problem on a consistent basis. And my experience with Benzs in the period of model years 2001-2007, you didn't have to wait 1 or 2 years to see what the problems would be, by then you had already accumulated lots of paperwork for warranty repairs (and you knew you would not keep the car).

I do have one friend who's been a Benz tech at one dealership for over 20 years.
Old 11-26-09, 09:43 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

It does seem a bit downhill. FORTUNATELY

The AMG wagon/estate/tourer version is SMOKING!!!!!!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10910132...ith-new-photos
Old 11-26-09, 09:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Despite the similarity in taillights to the ugly Accord sedan, the E-class certainly looks better IMO by far.
Old 11-27-09, 02:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
It does seem a bit downhill. FORTUNATELY

The AMG wagon/estate/tourer version is SMOKING!!!!!!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10910132...ith-new-photos
That is HOT! It looks miles better than the old wagon.
Old 11-27-09, 03:35 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

In MY opinion, the rear of the E just looks awful. Not only are the tail lights very reminiscent of many Asian economy cars, but they are also ridiculously disporportionate to the car. They are HUGE and take up an expanse of real estate. The shape of the GS's tails are somewhat generic but they are nicely sized and placed, and the detailing is nice. The same could be said for the 5 series. The M has a huge tail light problem but at least the detailing is unique and attractive.

There is a difference between conservative and handsome (previous E) and bland and disproportionate. The new E is the latter.
The 5 Series and the A6 are the only two moderately interesting tail light designs. The current M has horrid tail lights, and the GS' are not much better. You can't knock Mercedes for having tail lights that resemble a Hyundai, and then ignore the fact that the GS' tail lights design is found on the Toyota Sequoia.

To be perfectly honest, I love the new E class design. Far more aggressive than the last generation, yet still elegant and refined. It's tail lights are simple, I personally am not a fan of them, but they don't detract from the car in any way.
Old 11-27-09, 03:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
The 5 Series and the A6 are the only two moderately interesting tail light designs. The current M has horrid tail lights, and the GS' are not much better. You can't knock Mercedes for having tail lights that resemble a Hyundai, and then ignore the fact that the GS' tail lights design is found on the Toyota Sequoia.

To be perfectly honest, I love the new E class design. Far more aggressive than the last generation, yet still elegant and refined. It's tail lights are simple, I personally am not a fan of them, but they don't detract from the car in any way.
The 3GS tailight merges the 1st gen and 2nd gen together with LEDs. I like the originality of the 2GS still but the 3GS rear is fine. Amazing you think the 3GS tails are not much better than the M35/45. Seems you just don't like the car.

A Sequoia? Seriously......too much turkey yesterday?

Old 11-27-09, 09:18 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

The 3GS tailight merges the 1st gen and 2nd gen together with LEDs. I like the originality of the 2GS still but the 3GS rear is fine. Amazing you think the 3GS tails are not much better than the M35/45. Seems you just don't like the car.

A Sequoia? Seriously......too much turkey yesterday?
I love the car, not as much as the last generation, but it's definitely my favorite Lexus design (except for the layout of the dash)
I don't like the tail lights of this generation. If you don't believe me, look at the two and please tell me that you don't see a resemblance. I don't like the rear of either the M or GS, GS is at least inoffensive.
Old 11-27-09, 09:35 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like somebody here loves MB . I have to say, the first time I saw the new E-Class, I was not impressed at all. The car is ugly for me period. Now the last gen E-class. That car was/is soooo sexy. Especially the e55 amg. That car actually makes my head turn. Tail lights play an important role in the appearance of a vehicle. I love the last gen. 5 series lights as well as the last gen. E-class tails. In fact I like the tails of my 2GS way better than the new e-class. Im with MPLexus301 on the tails, it looks like a sonata! A quick glance and I do confuse the car..
Old 11-27-09, 10:26 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i always call bullsh to anyone who says a car "looks better in person"

i have to wonder what a camera lens does that makes it different from what you see with your own eyes....
your eyes appature changes all the time a camera's wont unless you do it your self, same with shutter speed you can have a fast shutter speed to capture motion and a slower one to take pictures in a more dim setting. so its very different I recomend you take a photogrophy course at a community college.

Quick Reply: Now that I have seen a few 2010 E Classes on the road...