Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Koenigsegg pulls out of SAAB deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 08:34 AM
LexFather

Post Koenigsegg pulls out of SAAB deal

STOCKHOLM, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Tiny Swedish luxury car firm Koenigsegg said on Tuesday it had withdrawn from discussions with U.S. auto giant General Motors [GM.UL] over the purchase of its loss-making Saab Automobile unit.

"The time factor has always been critical for our strategy to breathe new life into the company," Koenigsegg said in a statement.

Old 11-24-09, 09:04 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saab's Buyer Backs Out

Koenigsegg, the Swedish boutique car maker, has terminated its purchase agreement to buy Saab from GM. General Motors just released a statement from CEO Fritz Henderson:

"Many have worked tirelessly over the past several months to create a sustainable plan for the future of Saab by selling the brand and its manufacturing interests to Koenigsegg Group AB. Given the sudden change in direction, we will take the next several days to assess the situation and will advise on the next steps next week."

What the next steps will be is uncertain. GM recently decided to keep Opel, it’s German subsidiary instead of selling it off. Could Saab possibly remain under the GM umbrella? Or will it suffer the same fate as Saturn?

The sale was based on a loan from the Swedish government of roughly $600 million and a Chinese company was planning on a minority stake as part of the deal as well.
Source: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...acks-out-.html
Old 11-24-09, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

These two threads can be merged:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-buy-saab.html
Old 11-24-09, 05:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

this is no surprise. Koenegsegg has sold like 118 cars total. Its kind of a huge bite for such a small company. I know the owner of Koenisegg is a rich guy who has a lot of pride in Sweedish cars but that still not enough to make this work.
Old 11-24-09, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My own $.02.............Saab needs to go back to being a Swedish-run company like it was before GM grabbed it up. The REAL (pre-GM) Saabs, though admittedly quirky, had a loyal core of dedicated buyers, many of who liked their quirkiness. GM did to Saab essentially what it did to Saturn......tried to mainstream the brand with people who didn't want mainstream, and, like Saturn, set off a downward spiral that led to the mess you see today.

(You could say a SAAB story)

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-09 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 05:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought it was a great idea when I read about the owner in a Road & Track article recently but still wondered how a small company like Koenigsegg would be able to buy SAAB and make it profitable
Old 11-24-09, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I thought it was a great idea when I read about the owner in a Road & Track article recently but still wondered how a small company like Koenigsegg would be able to buy SAAB and make it profitable

Many, if not most, corporate buyouts today are done with borrowed money....that's why they call them leveraged buyouts. It is a very complex and involved process.......companies rarely, if ever, just hand over a conventional check or cash based on their current assets or bank accounts. Sometimes, of course, even government money is involved.....like it was, of course, with GM and Chrysler.
Old 11-24-09, 06:44 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that GM is screwing up these deals somehow... First Saturn, now SAAB? Me thinks that the common factor is the root of the problem...
Old 11-24-09, 07:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My own $.02.............Saab needs to go back to being a Swedish-run company like it was before GM grabbed it up. The REAL (pre-GM) Saabs, though admittedly quirky, had a loyal core of dedicated buyers, many of who liked their quirkiness. GM did to Saab essentially what it did to Saturn......tried to mainstream the brand with people who didn't want mainstream, and, like Saturn, set off a downward spiral that led to the mess you see today.

(You could say a SAAB story)
Amen. Saab should not be allowed to die, but it shouldn't remain in GMs hands. Throughout my high school year, ever class had between 3 to 5 people who were known because they had vintage (now even more so vintage) 900s. My buddy has a '93 9000 with 215k miles on the original 2.3L turbo. I would one day like to own a Saab, especially since I love my manual tranny so much and Saab is a company that still offers it today!
Old 11-24-09, 08:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Indeed. I am annoyed that GM has done NOTHING with Saab (what the hell was the 9-2X??? and the 9-7X??!?!). The 9-5 has been around since 1999. They didn't bother to do anything with Saab. I rarely see any adds and the number of Saabs on the road are now next to non-existent. I can't even see any older (80s, 90s) Saab either.
Old 11-24-09, 10:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much money for Saab. These failed auto businesses such as Saturn and Hummer were valued at much lower amounts.
Old 11-24-09, 10:09 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere, but Norwegian entrepreneur Bard Eker (who owns a 49% share in Koenigsegg) would have played a major role in providing the necessary 600 million to purchase Saab from GM. It is quite obvious that Koenigsegg alone does not have the necessary funds to purchase Saab.

That being said, I find this to be quite sad. I would have loved to see what Koenigsegg can do with a car like the Turbo X.
Old 11-25-09, 04:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
That being said, I find this to be quite sad. I would have loved to see what Koenigsegg can do with a car like the Turbo X.
Probably nothing! And probably one of the reasons why they backed up from the deal. Taking over a established but in a very bad shape car brand is too much of a challenge and only huge experience can get you out of the hole.
I guess its easier to start a completely new brand from ground up than to try to reanimate Saab.
Old 11-25-09, 05:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

They probably back out on purpose after some thought. Owning a failing car in this economy with so many car comapnies on the chopping block is a death wish. It is probably better if just Saab die than Saab dragging Koenigsegg down with them.
Old 11-25-09, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Indeed. I am annoyed that GM has done NOTHING with Saab (what the hell was the 9-2X??? and the 9-7X??!?!).
I agree.....both were questionble from a market standpoint (and it showed in low sales), but, a least, the 9-2X, being a redone, upmarket Subaru Impreza, was a reliable car with an excellent AWD system, something that can't always be said for other Saabs.

Quick Reply: Koenigsegg pulls out of SAAB deal