Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 05:38 AM
P A U L
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shift to N. no more runaway Toyota.
Old 02-09-11, 07:20 AM
acheparev
Driver

Toyota is also at fault here for not having a throttle cut off (like most other manufacturers) when the break is pressed. They are only including throttle cut off in vehicles this year, after all the bad press. It's their own cost cutting that contributed to how overblown this was.
Old 02-09-11, 07:25 AM
acheparev
Driver

Toyota tried to save money by not including throttle cut off tech in their cars, and it cost them big. It's Toyota's own fault it got so overblown. Other manufacturers had throttle cut off for years.

Hopefully Toyota learns that cost cutting at the expense of safety will cost more later.

It wouldn't have helped the idiots that press the gas instead of the break, but could have saved the lives of those who's pedals got stuck in their floor mats, like the police officer and his family who died in a Lexus with a stuck gas pedal and were featured in most news stories.

Last edited by acheparev; 02-09-11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 07:39 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev
Toyota tried to save money by not including throttle cut off tech in their cars, and it cost them big. It's Toyota's own fault it got so overblown. Other manufacturers had throttle cut off for years.

Hopefully Toyota learns that cost cutting at the expense of safety will cost more later.
Old 02-09-11, 07:53 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't have helped the idiots that press the gas instead of the break, but could have saved the lives of those who's pedals got stuck in their floor mats, like the police officer and his family who died in a Lexus with a stuck gas pedal and were featured in most news stories.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology-picard-no-facepalm.jpg  
Old 02-09-11, 08:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is Toyota gonna get the $16 million fine it paid for these false claims?
Old 02-09-11, 09:07 AM
acheparev
Driver

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I don't think it would. I don't think the Police officer applied the brake pedal correctly. My mum has a 2009 ES350, and before we took it in for the recall. I applied full throttle, then at 55mph while still at full throttle, I applied the brakes. The brakes did overpower the engine and bring the car to a stop with the engine at full throttle the entire time.
You were going 55 mph, the officer was driving on a major highway. I bet the gas pedal got stuck because he floored it trying to pass someone so I'd assume he was going close to 80 mph. Maybe at that speed the breaks couldn't overcome the throttle. At the time of the crash, he was going well over 100mph.

The reason I said it was Toyota's fault is because most of the stories that were on TV and in print, talked about throttle cut off that other car manufacturers use. Even now, there are commercials pointing out that Toyota just now started to include throttle cut off in their vehicles.

This all happened after extensive cost cutting at Toyota, which was highlighted by most of the news stories. I think if Toyota had stuck to quality over cost, this would not have been such a big deal.

And, why would they not include the tech in their cars if most manufacturers had already adopted it years before? To save a few bucks?
Old 02-09-11, 10:21 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You were going 55 mph, the officer was driving on a major highway. I bet the gas pedal got stuck because he floored it trying to pass someone so I'd assume he was going close to 80 mph. Maybe at that speed the breaks couldn't overcome the throttle. At the time of the crash, he was going well over 100mph.

The reason I said it was Toyota's fault is because most of the stories that were on TV and in print, talked about throttle cut off that other car manufacturers use. Even now, there are commercials pointing out that Toyota just now started to include throttle cut off in their vehicles.

This all happened after extensive cost cutting at Toyota, which was highlighted by most of the news stories. I think if Toyota had stuck to quality over cost, this would not have been such a big deal.

And, why would they not include the tech in their cars if most manufacturers had already adopted it years before? To save a few bucks?
Personally I don't like this tech. It prevents you from using the brake and throttle at the same time for launch control purposes. Most high performance cars like Porsches and Ferraris don't have this either.
Old 02-09-11, 11:27 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry, I can't take someone seriously when their whole point is on the brakes, yet they can't even spell brakes correctly. Plus, guessing, betting, and assuming doesn't include a great deal of truths and facts. I'm not putting blame on the officer nor Toyota because nobody has the full truth about what happened. It's all speculation which led to the huge amount of claims of unintended accleration. Whether they were true or not is up for debate. However, if it was just proven that their were no electrical gremlins, what is left to debunk/ decipher? Human error?
Old 02-09-11, 12:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but NASA has already concluded.
Old 02-09-11, 12:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Toyota is also at fault here for not having a throttle cut off (like most other manufacturers) when the break is pressed. They are only including throttle cut off in vehicles this year, after all the bad press. It's their own cost cutting that contributed to how overblown this was.
who are these "most other manufacturers"? most of them actually dont have it.

and no, ES350 can not catapult itself, it is not stupidly fast car... they drove for 10 miles at high speeds, screaming on the phone, instead of putting the car into neutral.
Old 02-10-11, 04:08 AM
acheparev
Driver

He doesn't know that. It's pretty obvious he knows nothing about cars. With a bit of luck guys like him will have an acceleration accident.
Really? You guys are so hostile, I can see the road rage coming through the pages. Must be fun sharing the roads with you a-holes.

I'm only pointing out that Toyota only now is including throttle cut off and are featuring it in their latest commercials. The CEO has gone on to say that they are reversing some of their cost cutting measures and are focusing on "safety and quality".

In the Lexus ES accident, they guy's pedal was stuck. It was stuck on the wrongly installed floor mat. He was on the phone for a good part of a minute before he crashed, and told the 911 dispatch his breaks didn't work. If you tell me that I assumed too much, fine, but to say he didn't hit the break is assuming as well, since you were not in the car with him looking at his feet. But if you feel he didn't hit the break, feel free to recreate it and post you findings. Get up to 80+mph and without letting go of the gas, hit the break.

And off course there are things he could have done. He could have put it in neutral.... blah blah. The fact remains, his pedal was stuck, he couldn't/didn't react in time, he and his family died, and it became the headline of most of the "Unintended Acceleration" news stories, however wrong it was.

There is a car company running ads now stating that they had throttle cut off 6 years ago standard.

Anyway, feel free to bash my spelling, call me an a-hole and hope that I die. You guys really contribute to this forum in a meaningful way.
Old 02-10-11, 06:15 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? You guys are so hostile, I can see the road rage coming through the pages. Must be fun sharing the roads with you a-holes.

I'm only pointing out that Toyota only now is including throttle cut off and are featuring it in their latest commercials. The CEO has gone on to say that they are reversing some of their cost cutting measures and are focusing on "safety and quality".

In the Lexus ES accident, they guy's pedal was stuck. It was stuck on the wrongly installed floor mat. He was on the phone for a good part of a minute before he crashed, and told the 911 dispatch his breaks didn't work. If you tell me that I assumed too much, fine, but to say he didn't hit the break is assuming as well, since you were not in the car with him looking at his feet. But if you feel he didn't hit the break, feel free to recreate it and post you findings. Get up to 80+mph and without letting go of the gas, hit the break.

And off course there are things he could have done. He could have put it in neutral.... blah blah. The fact remains, his pedal was stuck, he couldn't/didn't react in time, he and his family died, and it became the headline of most of the "Unintended Acceleration" news stories, however wrong it was.

There is a car company running ads now stating that they had throttle cut off 6 years ago standard.

Anyway, feel free to bash my spelling, call me an a-hole and hope that I die. You guys really contribute to this forum in a meaningful way.
Old 02-10-11, 06:17 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I don't know about the rest of you but throttle cut off is not a feature to me, it's something to be avoided. Cars have enough digital nannies kicking in as it is trying to take a best guess at what the driver is actually trying to do. You can't make a car account for every stupid person out there. Thankfully, my GS doesn't have throttle cut off. If I want to destroy my brakes and tires, I can do so on my own terms for now. :P
Old 02-10-11, 08:28 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Completely agree. Throttle cut off is for dumb drivers, and quite frankly I'd rather leave dumb drivers to their doom. Whenever I read an unintended acceleration case, my reaction was one less bad driver.
The problem with that is that their doom is often spread around to others.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology