Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
He doesn't know that. It's pretty obvious he knows nothing about cars. With a bit of luck guys like him will have an acceleration accident.
hoping for a CL poster or anyone to have an accident is unacceptable. please do not contribute further to this thread. if you have questions or comments, please pm them to me or another moderator.
Old 02-10-11, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

ok people, there's more heat than light in some recent posts.

calm down, and post nice.
Old 02-10-11, 10:08 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Heres the thing, its not like Toyota didnt install the fail safe throttle/brake override to safe cost or anything. They deemed it wasnt necessary. How do I know? All their hybrids have had the brake override since the beginning, thats including the 1gen Prius in 1999. And the reason to have it on the hybrid is so that if both were applied, you wouldnt overheat the hybrid system.

So they didnt even install it for safety reasons with unintended acceleration. It wasnt even conceivable to them that this would be an issue (and they still need not be blamed bc so far its been the driver's fault).
Old 02-10-11, 10:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dumb drivers and poor drivers educations becomes car manufacturers responsibility.

This is the same as McD coffee being too hot, and the rest of frivolous lawsuits that we had in the recent history in our country. Dumb people do dumb things, and scumbag lawyers jump all over these cases to extort money. And ultimately, we the consumers, are paying for it, and having to deal with inconveniences such as brake override switch, etc.
Old 02-10-11, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

batman, please exit the thread as requested by another moderator. thanks
Old 02-10-11, 02:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I deleted the offending posts. I am complying with the request to calm down and play nice. And now I am now asking a legitimate question:

Does the brake triggered throttle override feature require anything more than a software update?
Old 02-10-11, 03:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I deleted the offending posts. I am complying with the request to calm down and play nice. And now I am now asking a legitimate question:

Does the brake triggered throttle override feature require anything more than a software update?
depends on the car, they already did it like that for cars that it was possible for, and for others, they had to change the hardware.
Old 02-10-11, 04:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
depends on the car, they already did it like that for cars that it was possible for, and for others, they had to change the hardware.
Got it. So for many of the cars it would have cost them the same to make it with or without the override, but they chose to do without, until this series of unfortunate incidents caused a rethink.

Who else of the top auto manufacturers doesn't have a brake override?
Old 02-10-11, 06:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Got it. So for many of the cars it would have cost them the same to make it with or without the override, but they chose to do without, until this series of unfortunate incidents caused a rethink.

Who else of the top auto manufacturers doesn't have a brake override?
Chrysler has it on all cars, BMW does too I think...

GM didnt have it, most japanese and koreans didnt have it (mazda, honda, hyundai, subaru).

It is not like it would help a lot - like with that report of Prius speeding out of control for half an hour, while it had brake over-ride feature.

Something like 40,000 people die in car accidents in USA per year... we are talking about 1 case where it might have helped (or not, person who drives 10 minutes at WOT while killing his brakes and not remembering to put the car into neutral, might have still killed his family).

I had to look at old articles to find this info, and it was quite awful to see how media pumped this up - nobody actually believed it was floormats, mostly everyone was saying how it is probably electronic interference or bad electronic throttle control.

Luckily NASA solved that and NTHSA also tested every other car that was reported in accident, and only 1 case with floormats was confirmed out of all accidents reported to them. No other defects were found (so yes, brakes override engine, N makes it coast, etc).
Old 02-10-11, 06:56 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Chrysler has it on all cars, BMW does too I think...

GM didnt have it, most japanese and koreans didnt have it (mazda, honda, hyundai, subaru).

It is not like it would help a lot - like with that report of Prius speeding out of control for half an hour, while it had brake over-ride feature.

Something like 40,000 people die in car accidents in USA per year... we are talking about 1 case where it might have helped (or not, person who drives 10 minutes at WOT while killing his brakes and not remembering to put the car into neutral, might have still killed his family).

I had to look at old articles to find this info, and it was quite awful to see how media pumped this up - nobody actually believed it was floormats, mostly everyone was saying how it is probably electronic interference or bad electronic throttle control.

Luckily NASA solved that and NTHSA also tested every other car that was reported in accident, and only 1 case with floormats was confirmed out of all accidents reported to them. No other defects were found (so yes, brakes override engine, N makes it coast, etc).
Thanks for the info. Quite helpful. I'm surprised BMW has that, I would have expected a few BMW drivers to use 2 feet.
Old 02-10-11, 07:57 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

merc has it too, it works on my C lol
Old 02-10-11, 09:48 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. Quite helpful. I'm surprised BMW has that, I would have expected a few BMW drivers to use 2 feet.
Gas then brake = override
Brake then gas = no override.

^so launching/etc is still possible.
Old 02-10-11, 11:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Gas then brake = override
Brake then gas = no override.

^so launching/etc is still possible.
so this is like 50% override? don't see how sequence would matter. coz' it's like saying if the gas pedal got caught by the floormat and i step on the brakes, it overrides nothing?
Old 02-10-11, 11:55 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so this is like 50% override? don't see how sequence would matter. coz' it's like saying if the gas pedal got caught by the floormat and i step on the brakes, it overrides nothing?
no, that'd be like the first case GiantsFan mentioned, so = override.

the gist of it is if the gas pedal is pressed first (and held down), and then brake pedal is pressed = override. (actually to be more specific, the system only engages if the vehicle is above a certain speed, throttle open to a certain level, and both pedals are pressed for a set time, but i'm too tired now to look up the details).

And if the brake pedal is pressed first (and held down), then the gas is pressed (e.g. in launching) = no override.

EDIT: well decided to look it up anyway. here's the post where Joe Z posted the PDF describing the brake override system.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5406353-post88.html

Last edited by raptor22; 02-11-11 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 12:20 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Im watching David Letterman right now. He just asked the audience if they remembered the toyota acceleration problems. .... He then told everyone that after NASA engineers did a huge investigation, they found no electronic faults with the cars. "Mr Toyoda" then came out and made a speech

At least some are giving this some air time

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology