Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 04:35 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Gas then brake = override
Brake then gas = no override.

^so launching/etc is still possible.
Thanks for clearing this up. If this is the way it is programmed, then that's pretty good.
Old 02-11-11, 11:22 PM
RY2K
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool factory all weather mats are the problem

I used to work at a Lexus dealer for 3 years as a valet and people always used to put their factory all weather mats ontop of the carpet cloth ones. I now work as a tech at a Toyota dealer for 4 years and I see the same thing, people putting their all weather mats on top of the cloth ones all the time. The factory driver's side all weather mat on all toyota and lexus models have holes in the rear of them just like the cloth ones, where the factory clips secure the mat in place, by leaving the carpet mat in there, there is no way for the all weather mat to be secure. The original mats must be taken out so that the floor clips will go through the hole in the all weather mat and keep it in place. The mats are made by weather tech and are thick so they slide ontop of the original mat very easily.

My friend at lexus told me a woman in an ES350 put her all weather mats from her lease return RX330 into her new ES350 and she crashed cause the mat got stuck on the accelerator, well the mat wasn't made for that model. I belive this was in the news.

As far *** the ecu reflash on all the cars with the gas pedal recall that is supposed shut the ignition off if the computer sees full acceleration and full braking, i.e. the override, well that didn't work. We tried that on several different cars with no results.

one last thing I've seen a lot is those thin aftermarket rubber mats on top of the cloth ones, they're the worst. They are all ways bunched up next to the gas pedal.

I hope this wasn't too long and I hope it was informative.
Old 02-12-11, 02:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

^^

Just for clarification, the Lexus Accessory All Weather Floor Mats are not "Factory" all weather floor mats. No Lexus accessory all weather mats come from the factory.
Old 02-12-11, 04:23 AM
RY2K
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
^^

Just for clarification, the Lexus Accessory All Weather Floor Mats are not "Factory" all weather floor mats. No Lexus accessory all weather mats come from the factory.
ok boss
I know that and I wrote that they were made by weather tech
salesmen and other people tell customers they are factory
obviosly you and I know they are not
what ever you just got another post, good for you

they are designed to fit in the factory location and use the factory clips

I'm just trying to give some helpful info here, so don't try and **** on my post
Old 02-12-11, 07:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RY2K
ok boss
I know that and I wrote that they were made by weather tech
salesmen and other people tell customers they are factory
obviosly you and I know they are not
what ever you just got another post, good for you

they are designed to fit in the factory location and use the factory clips

I'm just trying to give some helpful info here, so don't try and **** on my post

sorry to be ball buster, but you wrote some info that isnt correct too... No ECU flash was done on cars that would shut them down when gad pedal was pressed together with brakes. You are talking about brake override tech which basically means ECU disregards the gas pedal input, when brakes are pressed. Car will certainly never shut down during that. It was also separate work and not done on all vehicles.

Granted you were only valet guy there but still, you would think you would know some basics there
Old 02-12-11, 09:12 PM
LexFather

So out of curiosity I've been asking pretty much anyone today I've interacted with did they know Toyota was found to have no defect. NOT ONE PERSON WAS AWARE OF THE FINDINGS. They were all very aware Toyota's were recalled and had tons of issues and were "out of control" last year.

SMH

Old 02-13-11, 08:59 AM
LexFather

Guys I'm reviewing the last couple of pages and I will ask for everyone to tone it down and watch how we are responding to one another. Thanks

Mike

Old 02-13-11, 09:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is not like it would help a lot - like with that report of Prius speeding out of control for half an hour, while it had brake over-ride feature.
That guy was fraud who couldn't afford his car payment and decided to do something dramatic to get out of it. They gave his car a look over and his brakes barely showed any type of wear let alone the brake mashing he claimed he did.
Old 02-13-11, 02:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
That guy was fraud who couldn't afford his car payment and decided to do something dramatic to get out of it. They gave his car a look over and his brakes barely showed any type of wear let alone the brake mashing he claimed he did.
exactly... so brake override wouldnt have helped a lot there .

Same goes with NTHSA finding that out of all investigations, only 1 crash with stuck mats, no stuck pedal crashes... rest of the cases - user error, someone pressing gas instead of brakes.

and now we will be stuck with data preserving black boxes, which will now help insurance companies to not pay us insurance claims. are we going to be better off now? Not at all.
Old 02-13-11, 03:39 PM
Bassil
Driver School Candidate

What I found most peculiar about all these "recalls" was that they all magically appeared right when the domestic manufacturers started to get the ball rolling. It may be just a coincedence, but honestly with the way our government and corporations behave nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some foul play involved.
Old 02-13-11, 03:44 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

toyota took out a full page advertisement in today's newspaper, mentioning the nasa/nhtsa results.

they don't explicitly say "ha! we told you so".......... so the ad is a little vague.
Old 02-13-11, 04:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
toyota took out a full page advertisement in today's newspaper, mentioning the nasa/nhtsa results.

they don't explicitly say "ha! we told you so".......... so the ad is a little vague.
I saw that ad in todays Chicago Tribune. Must be a nationwide blitz. Good for them.
Old 02-13-11, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

lol, they don't want to make the haters feel bitter?
Old 02-14-11, 01:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Great article here from Businessweek, saying that the US media owes Toyota an apology:

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...210_848076.htm
Old 02-14-11, 06:23 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

^^^ That article is an excellent must-read. Its author, Eli Wallace, was one of the few journalistic voices of reason when this whole brouhaha was in full swing last year. In fact, I'm pretty sure a link to his initial article last year ridiculing the dramamongers is buried somewhere in this thread, so he definitely deserves to write this new "I told you so" piece.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology