Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 02:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxNine
My 17-year-old cousin just got a 2010 Corolla XRS, and when I told her about the sticking accelerator recall, she told me that she has experienced this problem. I told her to give the dealer a call today.

She got the car 2 weeks ago.

I sure hope Toyota gets these accelerator problems resolved and that the FT86 DOES NOT come with drive-by-wire.

I repeat, NO DRIVE-BY-WIRE in the FT86.

If Toyota is serious about putting the FT86 on the market, I'm all for safety equipment like ABS and Traction Control that can be disabled. Make LSD available, have the car weigh around 2,500 pounds, and offer a stripped down model with the high performance motor. I need something to replace my aging S13.

I hope someone from Toyota Corporate reads this.
dont see how drive by wire is associated with it... if anything, with drive by wire they will be able to have an emergency workaround when you press both gas and brake pedeals.
Old 01-23-10, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
At this rate we should all sell our cars and walk.
Don't give Big Brother any more ideas. There are enough people in government who want that now.
Old 01-23-10, 06:43 PM
cwerdna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
dont see how drive by wire is associated with it... if anything, with drive by wire they will be able to have an emergency workaround when you press both gas and brake pedeals.
Uh, if you read my post #207 w/the NHTSA recall info, it sure looks like all the recalled cars have drive by wire. Why else would there be a pedal sensor assembly?

Someone w/the service manuals for any of the affected cars should be able to confirm whether there's a physical cable that moves connected to the throttle assembly vs. pedal w/sensor and a wire (that doesn't move) that carries signal.

(Even my former 02 Nissan Maxima had drive by wire. I had a recall related to it [for the pedal stopper]. One could push the pedal down and to the side, passing the plastic stopper, which the car thinks is a malfunction and triggers the check engine light and limp mode.)
Old 01-24-10, 07:34 PM
cwerdna
Driver School Candidate

More good info http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...tm?csp=usat.me. Be sure to read the rest of the story and not just my quotes.

The 09-10 Pontiac Vibe, twin of the Toyota Matrix and built at the Fremont, CA NUMMI plant is also affected.
Toyota says the potentially faulty pedals came from a CTS facility in Streetsville, Ontario.
Toyota says the problem appears to be due to premature wear of some mechanical parts in the CTS throttle assemblies. Hanson says that means new vehicles should be risk-free, at least long enough for Toyota to come up with a fix.

Throttle-pedal assemblies from Toyota's other supplier, Denso, are not all interchangeable, eliminating that as a quick-fix solution, Toyota says.
Old 01-25-10, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cwerdna
physical cable that moves connected to the throttle assembly vs. pedal w/sensor and a wire (that doesn't move) that carries signal.
On cars with drive by wire, there is no moving cable attach to the throttle. The gas pedal is nothing more than a varible resistor with a wire connected to it. As most people who work with electronics knows, depending on the resistor's design, some varible resistor do get worn down and tends to sometimes get stunk when they are old. The brake pedal override recall should fix this problem.
Old 01-25-10, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
On cars with drive by wire, there is no moving cable attach to the throttle. The gas pedal is nothing more than a varible resistor with a wire connected to it. As most people who work with electronics knows, depending on the resistor's design, some varible resistor do get worn down and tends to sometimes get stunk when they are old. The brake pedal override recall should fix this problem.
Why not just make the resistor assembly a routine service-replacement item? That way, the chances of one wearing out are kept to minimum. Of course, that means producing enough of them to keep them in stock for a number of years.
Old 01-25-10, 12:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why not just make the resistor assembly a routine service-replacement item? That way, the chances of one wearing out are kept to minimum. Of course, that means producing enough of them to keep them in stock for a number of years.
After doing some more research, I realized that the newer cars today are using a Hall Effect throttle sensor instead of a varible resister. A Hall effect sensor works with a electromagnetic field. The distance between the magnet and the coil will increase or decrease the electromagnetic field which will determine the gas pedal's position. Since there are no parts in contact, there is no routine maintenance.
Old 01-25-10, 01:02 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

After doing some more research, I realized that the newer cars today are using a Hall Effect throttle sensor instead of a varible resister. A Hall effect sensor works with a electromagnetic field. The distance between the magnet and the coil will increase or decrease the electromagnetic field which will determine the gas pedal's position. Since there are no parts in contact, there is no routine maintenance.
No parts in contact doesn't necessarily mean it won't go bad. My mom's E320 died at a light one day and wouldn't start again. When I did some research, I found that the crank position sensor is a huge problem on those engines. That sensor works with on magnetic fields and has no moving parts, yet has such a large failure rate.
Old 01-25-10, 01:06 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
No parts in contact doesn't necessarily mean it won't go bad. My mom's E320 died at a light one day and wouldn't start again. When I did some research, I found that the crank position sensor is a huge problem on those engines. That sensor works with on magnetic fields and has no moving parts, yet has such a large failure rate.
Of course no parts in contact doesnt mean it will never fail, it just mean it doesnt need routine maintenance.
Old 01-25-10, 01:07 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Of course no parts in contact doesnt mean it will never fail, it just mean it doesnt need routine maintenance.
mmarshall suggested to routinely replace them, not perform maintenance on them (although I'd be pretty pissed buying a car with the reputation of Toyota reliability knowing that I'd have to routinely replace a part that could have just been built better in the first place).
Old 01-25-10, 01:11 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

mmarshall suggested to routinely replace them, not perform maintenance on them (although I'd be pretty pissed buying a car with the reputation of Toyota reliability knowing that I'd have to routinely replace a part that could have just been built better in the first place).
I think a lot of people would agree with you. I know I wouldnt buy a car knowing I have to replace the gas pedal every so many miles
Old 01-25-10, 01:28 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Crank sensors are also subject to extreme heat, oil, and whatever evilness is suspended in that oil (solvents, metal shavings, etc) and will therefore be more likely to fail than a hall sensor in the passenger compartment that never comes into contact with anything. It's not a very fair comparison.
Old 01-25-10, 02:27 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geko29
Crank sensors are also subject to extreme heat, oil, and whatever evilness is suspended in that oil (solvents, metal shavings, etc) and will therefore be more likely to fail than a hall sensor in the passenger compartment that never comes into contact with anything. It's not a very fair comparison.
This particular crank sensor is mounted in the tranny bellhousing, thus not exposed to oil. Of course it's subject to more heat, but my 2JZ-GTE's crank position sensor was probably subject to more extreme temperatures and I've never heard of them failing enough to warrant an entire howto thread.
Old 01-25-10, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's not something that has to be done every few thousand miles, like oil changes/tire rotations, and Toyota could (?) cover it under free maintenence like some German carmakers do.
Old 01-25-10, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting point, but, given that logic, you wouldn't expect it to fail, either; at least in a reasonable amount of time.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology