Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 02:12 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why not just make the resistor assembly a routine service-replacement item? That way, the chances of one wearing out are kept to minimum. Of course, that means producing enough of them to keep them in stock for a number of years.
I know engineers always try to make things easier, but sometimes I think things get a little over-engineered.

Here's a better idea. How about going back to a regular cable throttle?

BTW, my cousin is taking her previously mentioned 2010 Corolla to her driving test this Friday. Good, or bad, idea?

I'll get to drive it thursday, will see if the pedal gets stuck or not.
Old 01-26-10, 02:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

It's not something that has to be done every few thousand miles, like oil changes/tire rotations, and Toyota could (?) cover it under free maintenence like some German carmakers do.
lol... you can not be serious, right?
Old 01-26-10, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting point, but, given that logic, you wouldn't expect it to fail, either; at least in a reasonable amount of time.
The sensor itself is non contact but there is still a moving part where the gas pedal actually pivots, they will be subject to wear and tear and in Toyota's case, get stuck sometimes.
Most fail safe system is based on lost of comunication between the gas pedal and the computer, or simply the fact that they dont understand each other. If the gas pedal get stuck or sends out a false signal, there is no way for the computer to know if the driver really want to go fast or if its a system malfunction. Thats where the brake over ride sofeware will come into play. On some cars, there are two sensors on the gas pedal and if they both send out different values, the computer knows one of the sensor is bad.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-26-10 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Here's a better idea. How about going back to a regular cable throttle?

BTW, my cousin is taking her previously mentioned 2010 Corolla to her driving test this Friday. Good, or bad, idea?
Drive by wire is needed in a vehicle stability system, therefore, there is no going back to cable.

I am sure you cousin will be fine
Old 01-26-10, 05:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The sensor itself is non contact but there is still a moving part where the gas pedal actually pivots, they will be subject to wear and tear and in Toyota's case, get stuck sometimes.
How is this different from a cable-actuated throttle, except that it has fewer points at which it can get stuck?
Old 01-26-10, 12:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
How is this different from a cable-actuated throttle, except that it has fewer points at which it can get stuck?
it is not... in my '86 Golf, throttle cable teared and i lost power suddenly on the highway. Luckily it was night and nobody was around so i was able to pull over safely.

there is no issue with DBW here... just faulty part.
Old 01-26-10, 12:53 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
Cabled throttle use to get stuck too, but you are not at the mercy of electronics and softwares, and throttle cables are much cheaper to replace as routine maintenance.
Old 01-26-10, 03:38 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

And now toyota is telling dealers to suspend sales of 8 vehicles involved in recall.
Old 01-26-10, 03:42 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Toyota suspends sales of vehicles

Originally Posted by cwerdna
The above recall is a different issue and affects no Lexues.

Maybe discussion of this particular recall should actually be in another thread.
Yea...I agree. This discussion should be in a different thread---called a COURT OF LAW. If this isn't an eye opener to the toyota fanbois, i dont know what is!! Bad bad baaaad news---to suspend sales of vehicles!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx
Old 01-26-10, 04:03 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Drive by wire is needed in a vehicle stability system, therefore, there is no going back to cable.
I'm taking a big guess that some late model cars with mechanical cable throttles have VSC systems installed.

I want to say the mid-80s Mercedes 190e 2.3 16 valve had a primitive VSC system, or just traction control, and that it doesn't have DBW. This is just a guess.

Yes, cable throttle does get stuck. I had this problem on my 240sx. Luckily, the cable was too tight and just needed more slack.
Old 01-27-10, 07:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MaxNine
I'm taking a big guess that some late model cars with mechanical cable throttles have VSC systems installed.

I want to say the mid-80s Mercedes 190e 2.3 16 valve had a primitive VSC system, or just traction control, and that it doesn't have DBW. This is just a guess.

Yes, cable throttle does get stuck. I had this problem on my 240sx. Luckily, the cable was too tight and just needed more slack.
Traction control works by cutting throttle when the computer detects wheel slippage, usually with drive by wire controls and the stability apply braking to individual wheel when it detect a stability problem. Some stability combine cutting throttle and braking each wheel to regain control faster.
Old 01-27-10, 09:52 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you cousin will be fine
I don't believe drive by wire is necessary for vehicle stability system. Vehicle stability systems work by applying braking force to individual wheels as well as modulating the throttle.

We already know that braking can be done independently of throttle, so that leaves us with only throttle control to worry about. The 93-98 Supra Turbo had a traction control system where a 2nd throttle plate is normally in the open position. When the computer detects slippage, it signals an electric motor to shut that throttle plate. So, the first throttle plate that is cabled directly to the accelerator pedal can be in any position but the engine will behave like nobody's stepping on the gas.

Drive by wire's benefit is more for emissions IMO.
Old 01-27-10, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Anything new on the original topic, from Toyota?
Old 01-27-10, 11:17 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's now a global recall. yikes..

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/r...recall-global/
Old 01-27-10, 11:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
Not quite. It's in discussion. Not official yet. Read it carefully.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology