Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 06:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Cabled throttle use to get stuck too, but you are not at the mercy of electronics and softwares, and throttle cables are much cheaper to replace as routine maintenance.
You're going in circles here. If a physical pedal gets stuck, how are you "at the mercy of electronics" when the results are the same (unintended acceleration) whether the throttle is controlled by a cable or a computer? The problem here is not the mechanism that actually actuates the throttle--it's on the input side. You don't replace the computer because the pedal sticks, you replace the pedal. You don't replace the cable because the pedal sticks, you replace the pedal. Where's the difference?

And even if the throttle is wholly mechanical, you can still be "at the mercy of electronics" where unintended acceleration is concerned. I know, because I was on two occasions--in a 1996 Ford Ranger, which had an old-school mechanical throttle. But it also had a feature that's present in every Lexus, and nearly every Toyota affected by the recall--that being Cruise Control. In my Ranger, the CC overheated or shorted, decided I needed to be going 150mph, and took the engine to WOT without input from me. The pedal dropped to the floor and if I lifted it back up to its normal position, it didn't idle down. Let go of the pedal, and gravity dragged it back to the floor.
Old 02-02-10, 08:12 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Japan gets complaints on Prius brakes

And it continues . . .

Japan gets 14 complaints over Toyota Prius brakes
By SHINO YUASA
Associated Press Writer
TOKYO (AP) — The Japanese government said Wednesday it has received 14 complaints in Japan about brake problems with Toyota’s popular Prius hybrid.
The automaker’s sales are being battered in the U.S. after massive recalls of top-selling models to fix a gas pedal that can stick in the depressed position. The new Prius gas-electric hybrid, which went on sale last year, is not part of the global recalls which cover nearly 4.5 million vehicles.
The 14 complaints included an accident in July 2009, in which a Prius crashed head on into another car at an intersection. Transport ministry official Masaya Ota said two people were slightly injured in the accident.
‘‘The complaints involve the new Toyota Prius model, and the vehicles were all made in Japan,’’ Ota said. ‘‘Prius drivers complained brakes were not so sharp.’’
The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received about 100 complaints involving the brakes of the Prius new model. Two involved crashes resulting in injuries.
The ministry ordered Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s No. 1 automaker, to investigate the complaints. The other 13 cases happened from December to January 2010. Ota said the ministry has yet to receive a formal report on the complaints from Toyota.
Toyota spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi said the company is looking into the matter.
Toyota shares dropped 3.7 percent to 3,470 yen in the morning session Wednesday.
The Prius, now in its third generation since its 1997 introduction, is the best-selling gas-electric hybrid in the world, racking up a cumulative 1.6 million units sold so far, according to Toyota.
Hybrids, by going back and forth between a gasoline engine and electric motor, tend to offer better mileage in slow-speed and stop-and-go driving that’s common in crowded cities.
Old 02-02-10, 08:23 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Toyota failed plain and simple. Way to drop the ball.
"Showing car companies how its done"

Last edited by Oleg400; 02-02-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 08:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default CNN: Steve Wozniak's Toyota Prius Problems! LOL

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010...yota.owner.cnn

Steve Wozniak's claims about problems with his Prius have caught a lot of attention. He speaks with CNN about Toyota.

Source: CNN
Old 02-02-10, 08:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The witchhunt continues. Karma will come back to bite the US government for this.
Old 02-02-10, 08:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, so cars are not perfect? What a concept!

This is just a snowball effect. People in Japan have heard about Toyota's current situation, are jumping on the bandwagon to report any and all problems.

It's really too bad the US media is not reporting on the numerous dangerous issues with GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles, or for that matter numerous issues that vehicles from other automakers have.

Yes, Toyota messed up, but this coverage and focus on Toyota is completely out of hand .
Old 02-02-10, 09:08 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess people are trying to cash in... acceleration then braking issues.. what next? it doesn't move? lol
Old 02-02-10, 09:10 PM
LexFather

The crazy thing is this is going to have everyone blaming Toyota for everything. Then guess what, they will blame their Ford, their GM car, their Honda, and everyone....the snowball is not limited to Toyota.

Toyota better (again) nip this in the bud b/c no matter if its a true problem or not, it is creating a mess for them.

Old 02-02-10, 09:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The crazy thing is this is going to have everyone blaming Toyota for everything. Then guess what, they will blame their Ford, their GM car, their Honda, and everyone....the snowball is not limited to Toyota.

Toyota better (again) nip this in the bud b/c no matter if its a true problem or not, it is creating a mess for them.
With the media focusing on Toyota, it will influence people only to focus on problems with Toyota models.

Other automakers will only encounter problems if the media focuses on them. Right now it seems the media is way too busy focusing on Toyota.
Old 02-02-10, 09:38 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Guess people are trying to cash in... acceleration then braking issues.. what next? it doesn't move? lol
i can see it now....

Customer reports to Toyota claiming vehicle does not move.
Service Advisor reports back saying all 4 tires were flat.
Customer claims, they magically deflated at a stoplight.
valve stem recall..
Old 02-02-10, 09:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Hybrid brakes have always been different than a regular car's brakes...
Old 02-02-10, 10:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is going to become like a leaky roof where once a certain hole is plugged, another opens. There is going to be seemingly endless scrutiny and media hype for the near future on any Toyota 'defect', real or not. Get ready folks, we're in for some turbulence.

That being said, I hope that Toyota gets upfront and on the consumers' side, ensuring that there are no safety issues, and if there are, correcting them and being clear with the public.

Moreover, remember the fuss over the navigation override? Kiss any chance of that being stopped in the U.S. goodbye. Brake overrides for all, and you can bet that there will be more "I agree" type warning messages (although they've gotten rid of the button, the warnings still remain), and all kinds of preventative measures.

This is shaping up to be the perfect storm of bad publicity, and recent articles suggest that the US execs were aware of the issue, but Japan HQ was not as focused on it (probably because they were plotting how to emerge from this recession). You can bet that right now they are in full crisis review mode. I just hope that something positive emerges from this.
Old 02-02-10, 10:38 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

- The Japanese government said Wednesday it has received 14 complaints
- The NHTSA has received about 100 complaints involving the brakes

114 complaints / 208.9 thousand (Japan) + 139.7 thousand (US) sold = 114 / 348,600 = 327 DPPM

As a comparison, in the tech industry, it is not uncommon to have a chip with millions of transistors with a typical defect rate of 500 dppm as its threshold.

Food for thought....
Old 02-02-10, 10:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
This is going to become like a leaky roof where once a certain hole is plugged, another opens. There is going to be seemingly endless scrutiny and media hype for the near future on any Toyota 'defect', real or not. Get ready folks, we're in for some turbulence.

That being said, I hope that Toyota gets upfront and on the consumers' side, ensuring that there are no safety issues, and if there are, correcting them and being clear with the public.

Moreover, remember the fuss over the navigation override? Kiss any chance of that being stopped in the U.S. goodbye. Brake overrides for all, and you can bet that there will be more "I agree" type warning messages (although they've gotten rid of the button, the warnings still remain), and all kinds of preventative measures.

This is shaping up to be the perfect storm of bad publicity, and recent articles suggest that the US execs were aware of the issue, but Japan HQ was not as focused on it (probably because they were plotting how to emerge from this recession). You can bet that right now they are in full crisis review mode. I just hope that something positive emerges from this.
QFT, I agree completely.

Originally Posted by ST430

114 complaints / 208.9 thousand (Japan) + 139.7 thousand (US) sold = 114 / 348,600 = 327 DPPM

As a comparison, in the tech industry, it is not uncommon to have a chip with millions of transistors with a typical defect rate of 500 dppm as its threshold.

Food for thought....
Unfortunately, facts or food for thought will not stop this witchhunt.

If the govt chooses to, they can really ruin Toyota's rep here in the US.
Old 02-02-10, 10:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ST430

Food for thought....
Yummy

Quite frankly, all companies have issues. Hell I've never owned a perfect car.

With driver education at an all time low as far as I am concerned we are in trouble.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology