Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 12:43 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tale of two interviews

A tale of two interviews, watch this one then CNN, did his tone change or is it just me?

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/toyo...oubles-9732049
Old 02-03-10, 12:51 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't the Prius have auto or radar based cruise control
Old 02-03-10, 01:19 AM
cwerdna
Driver School Candidate

There's a LOT of great analysis and comparison of the totally different CTS and Denso pedals at http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag...edal-analyzed/. They also went further in discussing the fix, replicating it and giving some conclusions.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toy...lusive-photos/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toy...t-by-too-much/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/why...r-denso-pedal/

Interesting. I now understand this better than from the Toyota diagrams that I saw on their web site and NY Times.
Old 02-03-10, 01:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Doesn't the Prius have auto or radar based cruise control
Dynamic radar cruise available on Package V. Laser was the old setup Toyota and Lexus used in the past.
Old 02-03-10, 01:58 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Dynamic radar cruise available on Package V. Laser was the old setup Toyota and Lexus used in the past.
So the guy is complaining about acceleration with the cruise control on...well it perhaps could be exactly that
Old 02-03-10, 03:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010...yota.owner.cnn

Steve Wozniak's claims about problems with his Prius have caught a lot of attention. He speaks with CNN about Toyota.

Source: CNN
You know these people are quite funny... I saw this last night.

He expects to call 800 number and talk to some engineer and "explain" to him what the problem is... Thats so freaking crazy.

a. Obviously his iPhone is still dropping calls, so obviously he still cant get hold of AT&T either.
b. You can not call 800 number to talk to engineer and "explain" problem you have in your car. You go to the dealer, take a drive with service adviser, reproduce the issue. Service adviser writes the FTR which engineers read and reproduce/fix the issue. He claims not to have time for it but he has time to appear on major TV channels.
c. Imagine Bill Gates calling up Apple 800 number and trying to get hold of engineer to explain how to fix dropping calls and add bluetooth file transfer... how would that work?

Steve is celebrity and he lives in this magical world.
Old 02-03-10, 03:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cwerdna
There's a LOT of great analysis and comparison of the totally different CTS and Denso pedals at http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag...edal-analyzed/. They also went further in discussing the fix, replicating it and giving some conclusions.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toy...lusive-photos/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toy...t-by-too-much/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/why...r-denso-pedal/

Interesting. I now understand this better than from the Toyota diagrams that I saw on their web site and NY Times.
reading that fud will not make you any smarter... they wedged in an screw driver to simulate fix and did not like the result... Thats just hillarious.

Wonderful that new members are posting that crap... lol.
Old 02-03-10, 03:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
So the guy is complaining about acceleration with the cruise control on...well it perhaps could be exactly that
Sigh....another ambulance chaser and whistle blower. Steve's appearance on CNN is just useless publicity which his story doesn't even make sense. Why does upper management at Toyota HQ need to answer his question when it's something that can easily be answered at the dealership level? He's just another customer with a different concern (a concern not even related to the recall), and thinks he is entitled to an answer from the top.

BTW, he doesn't realize that when you have the Cruise Control engaged and once you hold the CRUISE stalk upward (ACCEL) the speed will increase. I'm going to bet he's never read the owners manual on his Prius.
Old 02-03-10, 03:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by efusco
Yea.... Here's what's happening (I think)....
1)He wants to increase his casual speed from 85mph to a more chippy 90mph.
2)He taps the CC lever a couple times
3)He doesn't notice his speed increase much immediately.
4)He impatiently taps it up about 10 more times...then 5 times more.
5)Suddenly the car goes into WOT mode to increase his speed.
6)He gets a little nervous when the speed exceeds his target of 90mph...well he tapped it to go up to 100mph, the car is still accelerating,
7)He taps down a few times, but the number of "up" taps still exceeds the number of "down" taps so the car continues to accelerate.
8)He frantically taps down several more times finally exceeding his up-tap threshold...eventually acceleration stops, and a bit of deceleration begins.

Not a software glitch, an operator error.

Thank you Efusco, I think you hit the nail there, that's exactly what I thought when I read his experiment description.

This guy seriously needs to read the Prius user manual, and stop complaining to the press about some error that only exists on his head.

The sad part is that instead of trying to understand what happens, most people immediately jump on Toyota and on the Prius. Just because it's Wozzy speaking... for crying out loud, it seems the guy just wants to get in to the news...

Let me just add some more tech info: At least in the European 3G Prius the stalk increases/decreases at different steps as it is on CC or on ACC mode.

If we're on normal CC mode (constant speed) then each nudge will alter target speed by about 1 MPH, but if we are on ACC mode (radar on) each nudge will alter target speed by 5 km/h.

If we are on Adaptive Cruise Control mode and we keep the lever up for about 2 or 3 seconds the target speed can increase over 30 km/h or more quite fast. I'm betting the guy was on ACC mode and kept the lever up for some time, not just nudged it... just guessing...

I'm also not happy that he made silly claims, for someone who claims to be such an intelligent man:

"it's so wrong and so out of your normal control"

"It's scary because you don't think of things like putting the car in neutral when this happens"

"I am sure you can't turn the car off with the keyless power button, the only option on this model."

"Braking does disable this scary cruise control effect. It is a natural response, so the problem is mitigated a great deal"

Which one is it Mr. S.W.? Was the car "out of your normal control" or was just as easy as "Braking does disable this scary cruise control effect"???

Reminds me of the RTFM joke... just RTFM Mr. S.W., just RTFM... who's paying for this anyway?
http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hy...ml#post1052417

Apperantly Steve does not know how to operate CC/ACC ;-).

p.s. even if he is wrong, and even if news outlets say that later on (they wont), it is still bad publicity that sticks. Once you try to explain that something is not wrong, you are on defensive, and you seem like you are trying to get yourself out of the trouble.
Old 02-03-10, 04:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It's simply the snowball effect continuing. Right now, anyone with a Toyota is going to report every single problem they have with their car, exaggerate the problem, and blow things out of proportion.
Old 02-03-10, 04:10 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That site is a complete embarrassment to car enthusiasts. It should be renamed "jokesaboutcars.com".
Old 02-03-10, 06:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'm sure that he will have a Volt to complain about soon enough.
Old 02-03-10, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's simply the snowball effect continuing. Right now, anyone with a Toyota is going to report every single problem they have with their car, exaggerate the problem, and blow things out of proportion.
true. toyota is in a PR nightmare right now. and they should NEVER let that goofball jim lentz go on tv. he looked PATHETIC and insincere. but they will come through this a stronger company.

toyota worked extremely hard to earn its great reputation, but then it got complacent and sloppy, but hopefully they will regain their mojo.
Old 02-03-10, 06:31 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Default Should Akio Toyoda be more public in replying to recall questions?

An op-ed piece from Automotive News:

No-show Akio leaves recall matters to Toyota lieutenants
by Hans Greimel

TOKYO -- It has been an inauspicious start for Akio Toyoda, who took over last summer as president of the world’s largest automaker.

Toyota Motor Corp. is battling its biggest quality crisis ever and is reeling from recalls of more than 8 million cars on three continents. If there was ever a time to lead, this is it. But Akio has so far been a no-show.

The grandson of the company’s founder has largely skirted the recall fiasco in public. In October he made a brief apology after four people were killed in a runaway Lexus near San Diego.

But since then, he has continued to lie low -- even as the recalls exploded in scope last month.

His only recent public comment was captured by an intrepid Japanese TV crew that cornered the reclusive scion on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. In the video clip, a somewhat flustered-looking Toyoda again apologized.

“We're extremely sorry to have made customers uneasy,” Toyoda said told reporters from Japan’s public broadcaster, NHK. “We plan to establish the facts and give an explanation that will remove customers' concerns as soon as possible.”

In a country used to executives bowing for forgiveness at press conferences, it was a departure.

In the United States, Jim Lentz, president of Toyota Motor Sales, made the first public overture. He explained the recall fix and, in a solemn video clip, apologized to the company’s customers.

Toyoda missed a great opportunity to express his own personal concern the next day.

The company had arranged a Feb. 2 press conference at its Nagoya offices to address the recalls for the first time in Japan. To the surprise of many reporters, it was not Toyoda who met them, but a top lieutenant: Shinichi Sasaki, executive vice president in charge of quality.

Sasaki said he was given a “free hand” to handle recall matters. And when asked why the president was not in attendance, Sasaki replied he was handling the press on behalf of his boss.

Toyoda’s low profile contrasts with the media offensive staged by Ford Motor Co. CEO Jacques Nasser during the Ford-Firestone recall incident a decade ago. Even William Clay Ford Jr. came out and said: “It hurts to see a family name and a family heritage tarnished so badly.”

Toyoda might take a few pointers. After all, it’s his name on the cars.

During his first appearance after taking the helm last June, Toyoda said his new management team felt like it was “setting sail during a storm.” Now it is time to show who’s captain.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...100209977/1018

So, what do you think? Should Akio Toyoda, who has studied in the United States and is quite proficient in English, be more upfront and public in answering recall questions and concerns from the American media and public directly himself (including maybe a personal appearance at the upcoming U.S. Congressional hearings) or is he correct in delegating to his lieutenants and letting them do the "dirty work"?
Old 02-03-10, 06:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
You know these people are quite funny... I saw this last night.

He expects to call 800 number and talk to some engineer and "explain" to him what the problem is... Thats so freaking crazy.

a. Obviously his iPhone is still dropping calls, so obviously he still cant get hold of AT&T either.
b. You can not call 800 number to talk to engineer and "explain" problem you have in your car. You go to the dealer, take a drive with service adviser, reproduce the issue. Service adviser writes the FTR which engineers read and reproduce/fix the issue. He claims not to have time for it but he has time to appear on major TV channels.
c. Imagine Bill Gates calling up Apple 800 number and trying to get hold of engineer to explain how to fix dropping calls and add bluetooth file transfer... how would that work?

Steve is celebrity and he lives in this magical world.
he's an idiot.....I just lost some respect for Apple products....

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology