Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 01:07 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Japanese govt never had large majority ownership stakes of Japanese automakers.

There is a big difference.
The Japanese automakers are self-supporting via keiretsu. Unlike the Americans who spin off just to make the UAW happy or there's trouble in their supply chain. Back in the mid 1990s, GM and Ford spun off their parts divisions - Delphi and Visteon respectively. Both of them couldn't secure enough non-GM or Ford business and eventually declared bankruptcy.

However, there are rare instances. Mitsu was supported by Chrysler to a certain extent. Suzuki was kept afloat by GM. Ford owned a chunk of Mazda. Nissan is in French hands - but it is in the same keiretsu as Hitachi. Honda wasn't in a formal keiretsu.
Old 02-09-10, 02:21 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akio Toyoda's apology article for the Washington Post

Toyota's plan to repair its public image
By Akio Toyoda

More than 70 years ago, Toyota entered the auto business based on a simple, but powerful, principle: that Toyota would build the highest-quality, safest and most reliable automobiles in the world. The company has always put the needs of our customers first and made the constant improvement of our vehicles a top priority. That is why 80 percent of all Toyotas sold in the United States over the past 20 years are still on the road today.

When consumers purchase a Toyota, they are not simply purchasing a car, truck or van. They are placing their trust in our company. The past few weeks, however, have made clear that Toyota has not lived up to the high standards we set for ourselves. More important, we have not lived up to the high standards you have come to expect from us. I am deeply disappointed by that and apologize. As the president of Toyota, I take personal responsibility. That is why I am personally leading the effort to restore trust in our word and in our products.

For much of Toyota's history, we have ensured the quality and reliability of our vehicles by placing a device called an andon cord on every production line -- and empowering any team member to halt production if there's an assembly problem. Only when the problem is resolved does the line begin to move again.

Two weeks ago, I pulled the andon cord for our company. I ordered production of eight models in five plants across North America temporarily stopped so that we could focus on fixing our customers' vehicles that might be affected by sticking accelerator pedals. Today, Toyota team members and dealers across North America are working around the clock to repair all recalled vehicles.

But to regain the trust of American drivers and their families, more is needed. We are taking responsibility for our mistakes, learning from them and acting immediately to address the concerns of consumers and independent government regulators.

First, I have launched a top-to-bottom review of our global operations to ensure that problems of this magnitude do not happen again and that we not only meet but exceed the high safety standards that have defined our long history. As part of this, we will establish an Automotive Center of Quality Excellence in the United States, where a team of our top engineers will focus on strengthening our quality management and quality control across North America.

Second, to ensure that our quality-control operations are in line with best industry practices, we will ask a blue-ribbon safety advisory group composed of respected outside experts in quality management to independently review our operations and make sure that we have eliminated any deficiencies in our processes. The findings of these experts will be made available to the public, as will Toyota's responses to these findings.

Third, we fully understand that we need to more aggressively investigate complaints we hear directly from consumers and move more quickly to address any safety issues we identify. That is what we are doing by addressing customer concerns about the Prius and Lexus HS250h anti-lock brake systems.

We also are putting in place steps to do a better job within Toyota of sharing important quality and safety information across our global operations. This shortcoming contributed to the current situation. With respect to sticking accelerator pedals, we failed to connect the dots between problems in Europe and problems in the United States because the European situation related primarily to right-hand-drive vehicles.

Toyota will increase its outreach to government agencies charged with protecting the safety of motorists and passengers. I have spoken with U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and given him my personal assurance that lines of communications with safety agencies and regulators will be kept open, that we will communicate more frequently and that we will be more vigilant in responding to those officials on all matters.

In recent years, much has been written about what we call "the Toyota Way" -- the values and principles at the heart of our company. Chief among these is our unwavering commitment to continuous improvement: going to the source of a problem and fixing it. While problems with our cars have been rare over the years, the issues that Toyota is addressing today are by far the most serious we have ever faced.

But great companies learn from their mistakes, and we know that we have to win back the trust of our customers by adhering to the very values on which that trust was first built. The hundreds of thousands of men and women at Toyota operations worldwide -- including the 172,000 team members and dealers in North America -- are among the best in the auto industry. Whatever problems have occurred within our company, the strength and commitment to fix them resides within our company as well.

You have my commitment that Toyota will revitalize the simple but powerful principle that has guided us for 50 years: Toyota will build the highest-quality, safest and most reliable automobiles in the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1
Old 02-09-10, 02:33 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Toyota's plan to repair its public image
By Akio Toyoda

More than 70 years ago, Toyota entered the auto business based on a simple, but powerful, principle: that Toyota would build the highest-quality, safest and most reliable automobiles in the world. The company has always put the needs of our customers first and made the constant improvement of our vehicles a top priority. That is why 80 percent of all Toyotas sold in the United States over the past 20 years are still on the road today.

When consumers purchase a Toyota, they are not simply purchasing a car, truck or van. They are placing their trust in our company. The past few weeks, however, have made clear that Toyota has not lived up to the high standards we set for ourselves. More important, we have not lived up to the high standards you have come to expect from us. I am deeply disappointed by that and apologize. As the president of Toyota, I take personal responsibility. That is why I am personally leading the effort to restore trust in our word and in our products.

For much of Toyota's history, we have ensured the quality and reliability of our vehicles by placing a device called an andon cord on every production line -- and empowering any team member to halt production if there's an assembly problem. Only when the problem is resolved does the line begin to move again.

Two weeks ago, I pulled the andon cord for our company. I ordered production of eight models in five plants across North America temporarily stopped so that we could focus on fixing our customers' vehicles that might be affected by sticking accelerator pedals. Today, Toyota team members and dealers across North America are working around the clock to repair all recalled vehicles.

But to regain the trust of American drivers and their families, more is needed. We are taking responsibility for our mistakes, learning from them and acting immediately to address the concerns of consumers and independent government regulators.

First, I have launched a top-to-bottom review of our global operations to ensure that problems of this magnitude do not happen again and that we not only meet but exceed the high safety standards that have defined our long history. As part of this, we will establish an Automotive Center of Quality Excellence in the United States, where a team of our top engineers will focus on strengthening our quality management and quality control across North America.

Second, to ensure that our quality-control operations are in line with best industry practices, we will ask a blue-ribbon safety advisory group composed of respected outside experts in quality management to independently review our operations and make sure that we have eliminated any deficiencies in our processes. The findings of these experts will be made available to the public, as will Toyota's responses to these findings.

Third, we fully understand that we need to more aggressively investigate complaints we hear directly from consumers and move more quickly to address any safety issues we identify. That is what we are doing by addressing customer concerns about the Prius and Lexus HS250h anti-lock brake systems.

We also are putting in place steps to do a better job within Toyota of sharing important quality and safety information across our global operations. This shortcoming contributed to the current situation. With respect to sticking accelerator pedals, we failed to connect the dots between problems in Europe and problems in the United States because the European situation related primarily to right-hand-drive vehicles.

Toyota will increase its outreach to government agencies charged with protecting the safety of motorists and passengers. I have spoken with U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and given him my personal assurance that lines of communications with safety agencies and regulators will be kept open, that we will communicate more frequently and that we will be more vigilant in responding to those officials on all matters.

In recent years, much has been written about what we call "the Toyota Way" -- the values and principles at the heart of our company. Chief among these is our unwavering commitment to continuous improvement: going to the source of a problem and fixing it. While problems with our cars have been rare over the years, the issues that Toyota is addressing today are by far the most serious we have ever faced.

But great companies learn from their mistakes, and we know that we have to win back the trust of our customers by adhering to the very values on which that trust was first built. The hundreds of thousands of men and women at Toyota operations worldwide -- including the 172,000 team members and dealers in North America -- are among the best in the auto industry. Whatever problems have occurred within our company, the strength and commitment to fix them resides within our company as well.

You have my commitment that Toyota will revitalize the simple but powerful principle that has guided us for 50 years: Toyota will build the highest-quality, safest and most reliable automobiles in the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1
Brilliant textbook PR...I like it. It seems Mr Toyoda is admitting his North American cars are not all that great in regards to quality. I also like the outside observer note.

Now I expect Toyota to review North American operations and trim up their lineup
Old 02-09-10, 02:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
It seems Mr Toyoda is admitting his North American cars are not all that great in regards to quality.
Look, STOP twisting words and making stuff up. He did NOT say that anywhere NOR implied that.

Old 02-09-10, 02:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
But in the end what difference does it make what reasons each government has to be biased? As I already gave a strong example of... the Japanese government is openly biased against US-made products regardless of the fact that they don't have direct ownership in their car companies.

In effect any government will have a strong financial/vested interest in the fate of their largest corporations. Those corporation keep the domestic economy strong, keep people employed, etc.

If you're criticizing the US government for bias, you need to realize that the Japanese government isn't any different.
well you did not prove anything by that example... you just wrote the words as they were some kind of truth...

... japan responded to those allegations with info that reason most US cars were not incentivised is because they do not test themselves against japanese emissions and consumptions laws under exemption that makes their car importing cheaper.

But how do you then expect them to receive emission based incentives?

On the other hand, foreign manufacturers can not exempt themselves from US testing, which is most expensive in the world.
Old 02-09-10, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
80 complaints. FYI, the Corolla is now the best selling vehicle EVER sold.
shh, dont tell anyone... Cobalt - car that sells a lot less than Corolla, is under investigation for 1100 incidents of failed power steering during drive..... but dont tell the media, lol.
Old 02-09-10, 02:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Brilliant textbook PR...I like it. It seems Mr Toyoda is admitting his North American cars are not all that great in regards to quality. I also like the outside observer note.

Now I expect Toyota to review North American operations and trim up their lineup
Wow, you're reading way between the lines. Unfortunately your perspectives are a bit skewed from the actual facts.
Old 02-09-10, 02:52 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look, STOP twisting words and making stuff up. He did NOT say that anywhere NOR implied that.
No worries. But when the President of Toyota in Japan had to pull the Andon cord in the US...there seems to be a problem. I am just reacting to the way I interpreted it. I will try not to make it seem like I am twisting things.

As a matter of fact, I actually support the PR release. Very smart move on Toyota's part.
Old 02-09-10, 02:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

"Two weeks ago, I pulled the andon cord for our company. I ordered production of eight models in five plants across North America temporarily stopped so that we could focus on fixing our customers' vehicles that might be affected by sticking accelerator pedals. Today, Toyota team members and dealers across North America are working around the clock to repair all recalled vehicles" - Akio Toyoda

Now that's what you call taking initiative and taking the bull by the horns. Shots were called by the commander-in-chief of Toyota, not a government agency or the media.
Old 02-09-10, 08:13 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Latest Lexus recall, Corolla problems

Lexus hybrid in Japan is being recalled. Watching German DW TV and they said the Corolla is also being recalled.

Toyota is blowing it. They better resurrect a new Supra TT and MR2 turbo and lower the LFA to $50,000
Old 02-09-10, 08:16 PM
LexFather

THe actual article was merged here earlier

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...merged-21.html

Old 02-10-10, 08:47 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

I like this op-ed piece by Wes Raynal of AutoWeek:

It's time to take a deep breath and relax on Toyota

As I lay here bleeding out from a paper cut I got from a Toyota Yaris owner's manual, I wonder how long it will take NHTSA to issue a recall.

Seriously, it's getting silly, all this piling on.

I'm not insensitive--I know people have died. And I'm not a Toyota apologist; the company's handling of this disaster has at times been appalling. I also realize Toyota isn't getting a lot of love right now out there in Consumer Land, especially on Internet message boards where opinions spread like, well, Toyota recalls. (It is amazing how anonymity makes being critical so easy.)

But the news on Tuesday that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration might investigate Toyota Corolla steering systems really got my eyes rolling. Oh, you hadn't heard? Yep, the Japanese automaker faces yet another possible investigation, this time of the electric power steering in 2009 and 2010 Corollas. Why? Because 83 people complained. Eighty-three, my football number in high school! Toyota sells something like 17,000 Corollas a month. So in 2009 and 2010, it sold something close to 200,000 of them. And 83 people have complained that the steering doesn't feel quite right, and this might prompt a recall?

Getting a little oversensitive, aren't we?

According to AW sister publication Automotive News, Corolla drivers say their cars steer as though the car was being buffeted by strong winds or sliding on black ice. I'm sorry, but those are two completely different sensations. Which is it? Some also said they often have to use a persistent two-handed grip on the wheel to travel in a straight line. Two hands on the wheel! This is an outrage!

Which brings me to my point: In this entire Toyota hullabaloo, I see little about personal responsibility.

Could there really be a software problem with the Corolla electronic power steering? Sure there could be. But Corolla drivers, listen up: Your cars weigh about nine pounds. It is likely you might experience times when it feels like you are being "buffeted by strong winds." Especially when, you know, winds are strong. Using two hands on the wheel is a problem? Having to be sharply focused on driving the car might get the government involved? Seriously?

As I write this, Detroit is being rocked good with snow. It turns a lot of my commuting partners into complete morons behind the wheel. Makes me wonder how many Toyota complaints--Prius brakes, unintended acceleration, "faulty" steering--can be attributed to bad driving or inattentiveness. Could be part of the problem, no?

I'm not saying all Toyota products are perfect. Some might have problems. But heaping more complaints on the automaker--getting the government involved--will just cause further confusion. Things will spiral even more out of control.

Maybe it's time we stopped . . . took a deep breath . . . and let Toyota find out what, if anything is really wrong with its cars
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0f9V6o07g
Old 02-10-10, 09:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking the Prius/HS250h issues are from crappy tires. I know our 2009 will act up over potholes or tar lines on the road if the temperature is low/high enough on occasion. I can't wait to chuck those junk OEM Goodyears.
Old 02-10-10, 06:21 PM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Expect all the experts, consultants, low-lives and ex-employees to chime in, just question why they are only coming out now. There is a feeding frenzy going on. Everyone who has an agenda will use this opportunity to forward their cause- with an air of moral holiness and authority. When there is fanfare and chaos, there is fame and money to be made. 15 seconds of fame.

How many failures qualify to make a part defective? 1 of 100, 1K, 1M ? Yes it takes only 1 to cause a accident, but that does not make ALL parts defective (in design, manufacture, and use). A modification means that there is an improvement to make a part better. A redesign means a basic flaw, discovered in retrospect. And there is always a chance of operator mistakes too, and I would think humans are more prone than machines.

On the issue of electronic controls- it is almost impossible to replicate conditions that will cause a specific malfunction, that is why software updates are only attempts to try and correct known issues. Computer software programmers are forever issuing updates, otherwise the product will never reach the marketplace. A modern car has 10 to 50+ computers. It is said that if airplanes are subjected to the same redundant testing procedure as cars, that there will be no plane flying.

Toyota designers have created great looking cars. Toyota engineers have produced great reliable cars. Toyota plants have assembled great quality cars. Toyota marketing has used these elements in projecting a great image. But nothing is perfect.

Taking measures to avoid future issues- is the responsible moral response. A timely resolution is the expected action and a sign of competence. Again statistics will prove Toyota is better than most. And a timeline will ultimately prove if the parts were defective (in design) and if Toyota responded correctly and promptly.

Buttom line is that Toyota has been the most successful company in the automotive industry. The Toyota Way is the most studied and admired by the manufacturing industry. Not the first and not the best, but the standard by which all auto companies are compared to.

Toyota customers have been the most loyal base. Lexus moreso. The consumer will be the ultimate judge on how the show ends.

Toyota/Lexus will sell less cars? That is good- they will reintroduce interesting cars. This crisis will make Toyota a better company and that is what I am looking forward to. We win.
Old 02-10-10, 08:58 PM
REAgent
Driver School Candidate

Default TOYOTA: A lesson in safety, reliability, and customer service.

Toyota’s current advertisement campaign is laughable to say the least. The present recall of vehicles affected by accelerator issues is long over due. The documentation goes back almost 10 years. But wait. Consider the three-liter V6 installed in many models of Toyota and Lexus vehicles during 1998-2001. These engines developed oil sludging/gelling that seized the engine. At first, Toyota denied any problem. Toyota failed to honor many repairs under warranty stating that the customer failed to perform proper maintenance when the maintenance was performed by Toyota! Not until after a class-action lawsuit, did Toyota finally act responsible. Then more recently, there is the three and one half liter (3.5L) engine, also installed in many models. This engine has a two-piece high pressure oil line that controls the VVT-I. The two metal lines are connected with a rubber hose. In nearly all of these engines, at between 40,000 to 60,000 miles, that rubber hose springs a leak and sprays 6.5 quarts of hot oil all over your engine, undercarriage, and driveway. Toyota is quietly fixing these vehicles, mostly under warranty. First documented in 2006. New design not until 2008. And here is still one more of Toyota’s dirty little secrets. At least the Camry and the RX350 have a coating sprayed on the internal passageways of the A/C evaporator coil that emits a fine white dust that deposits on the dash. Many people with respiratory problems had to stop using their vehicles because they couldn’t breath. Again, Toyota is denying any problem exists, and when cornered with the white dust, will not give any scientific analysis. These safety and reliability concerns are well documented; you need not take my word on the subject. I currently own a Sienna and a RX350. This is how I know these facts. I drive a Honda.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology