Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 12:05 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYWqqgr7Wcg

the abc 7 investigation
Old 11-04-09, 01:54 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They were cleared. This shouldnt even be on page 2.
Thread should stay open even if we are discussing the lack of a brake switch throttle cut off on all Toyota and Lexus vehicles. It wouldn't be hard to add as again, it's just a code in the software. That software coding would rule all of this conjecture moot.
Old 11-04-09, 01:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Here is a letter from a safety group in response to Toyota's letter to its customers regarding its documented sudden acceleration problem:

"Some of this is actually true. The agency has not found a vehicle-based defect that is causing unwanted acceleration. It doesn’t mean there isn’t one – it just means that the agency hasn’t found it. By any standard, the agency investigations are far from the thorough and can be accurately described as cursory by anyone with a passing understanding of defect investigation.

In other words NHTSA:

Talked to owners who complained;

Drove the petitioners vehicle and didn’t experience SUA;

Asked Toyota what, if any, problems existed (none of course);

Found that the throttle control system may have had a problem but couldn’t find a cause;

Had limited information to work with;

Faced with limited resources and other more easily solvable safety issues, dropped any further investigation.

The most thorough of the government investigations appears to be the agency’s Vehicle Research & Test Center analysis of a 2007 Lexus ES350. This investigation, cited by Toyota above as evidence of the lack of a defect, suggests otherwise. Here’s what else the report stated:

“To comprehend the statistical significance of the probability for this event to occur, a survey was sent to a sample size of 1986 registered owners of a 2007 Lexus ES-350 requesting information regarding episodes of unintended acceleration. NHTSA received 600 responses for an overall response rate of 30.2%. Fifty-nine owners stated they experienced unintended acceleration. Thirty-five of those responding also reported that their vehicles were equipped with rubber Lexus all-weather floor mats and several commented that the incident occurred when the accelerator had become trapped in a groove in the floor mat. Interviews with owners revealed that many had unsecured rubber floor mats in place at the time of the unintended acceleration event, which included in some cases unsecured rubber floor mats placed over existing Lexus carpeted mats.”

The report is silent on several key issues, including owners who did not comment that the accelerator pedal was trapped in the groove of an all weather floor mat. And what of the remaining 24 who didn’t have all weather floor mats? "

http://product-liability.lawyers.com...on-Defect.html

The big question is what cause the sudden accelartion of the 40% of owners who did not have the all weather mats.
so whats your beef with Toyota/Lexus?
Old 11-04-09, 01:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If its an ECU issue its going to get REALLY REALLY pricey for toyota to repair. I am sure they have insurance for this stuff

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-04-09 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 02:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If its an ECU issue its going to get REALLY RTEALLY pricey for toyota to repair
If you ask product liability lawyers, it is and toyota is at fault

;-).

If you ask NTHSA it is driver issue, and then had quite few investigations.
Old 11-04-09, 03:48 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Shouldn't be, but the news/media is going crazy with these allegations of unintended acceleration.

Thanks Nightline ABC news.
What would be the cause of the acceleration accidents INCREASING during and after the years of changing the design to DBW???

I believe the # of reported incidents doubled or tripled since the change to DBW? To support my statement (and what ABC reported last night) I searched for charts of "reported" acceleration (sudden or stuck) problems at ntsb but came up empty.

Also...I've read several people saying "almost" every incident or "nearly all" incidents were driver error or not the cause of Toyota. But...THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! It should be 100% driver error! (to clear Toyota 100%)

If even JUST 1% of these accidents are in fact, ecu/cpu problems, THEN IT IS A TOYOTA PROBLEM!!!!
Old 11-04-09, 03:53 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
Wow! That is certainly a very damaging report for Toyota. Too bad all incidents reported on were 99.9% driver error. I especially like the last one where the driver says "we all know that brakes don't cause a car to speed up" LOL. Well, he's certainly right. That's why he should have taken his foot off the ACCELERATOR. Again, no manufacturer is perfect and it is slightly possible (but extremely unlikely) that Toyota has an issue with Drive By Wire. I would really like to see the same results of consumers reporting run-a-way cars of other manufacturers. This is over dramatization at its best and I don't think Toyota deserves it. Let's face it. It's giant ego that's really involved, here. People just can't accept any fault of their own. "I accidentally stepped on the gas instead of the brake and put my car into lake Okeechobee, but I can clear my name by blaming Toyota for a faulty DBW system." Sorry, I'm just not buying it.
Old 11-04-09, 04:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

is it too hard to shift to neutral or something, increase the nanny in my electronics more please
Old 11-05-09, 07:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Thread should stay open even if we are discussing the lack of a brake switch throttle cut off on all Toyota and Lexus vehicles. It wouldn't be hard to add as again, it's just a code in the software. That software coding would rule all of this conjecture moot.
Exactly, if Toyota didnt think of coding this feature into their software, what other fail safe software codes or hardware did they miss to back up a drive by wire failure. The Germans always over engineer their cars, in the case of drive by wire, there is never enough back up to the back up system.
Old 11-05-09, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
What? That wasn't a threat to lock the thread. I'm saying its asinine to be on page two as asinine as these people that cannot drive.

This isn't a Toyota issue, this is a DUMBASS issue.

TOYOTA CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR DUMBASSES. NO COMPANY should be held liable b/c people are DUMB (though dumb people have won tons of court cases).

I've said over and over, driving tests here are way to easy. People DO NOT know how to drive. If an emergency happens, they have NO EXPERIENCE and PANIC.

Quite frankly why just stop at suing Toyota. Lets sue the government for these ridiculously EASY driving tests putting EVERYONE in danger.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Wow! That is certainly a very damaging report for Toyota. Too bad all incidents reported on were 99.9% driver error. I especially like the last one where the driver says "we all know that brakes don't cause a car to speed up" LOL. Well, he's certainly right. That's why he should have taken his foot off the ACCELERATOR. Again, no manufacturer is perfect and it is slightly possible (but extremely unlikely) that Toyota has an issue with Drive By Wire. I would really like to see the same results of consumers reporting run-a-way cars of other manufacturers. This is over dramatization at its best and I don't think Toyota deserves it. Let's face it. It's giant ego that's really involved, here. People just can't accept any fault of their own. "I accidentally stepped on the gas instead of the brake and put my car into lake Okeechobee, but I can clear my name by blaming Toyota for a faulty DBW system." Sorry, I'm just not buying it.
Bingo

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
is it too hard to shift to neutral or something, increase the nanny in my electronics more please
Bingo. Hey we all like heavier cars

Exactly, if Toyota didnt think of coding this feature into their software, what other fail safe software codes or hardware did they miss to back up a drive by wire failure. The Germans always over engineer their cars, in the case of drive by wire, there is never enough back up to the back up system.
Okay I've had pretty much enough of this acting like German cars are all so safe and they don't get into accidents b/c of failures (BMW had a brake recall on the M3 of all models recently for instance). Also unless you are Albert Einstein there is no cracking a Toyota ECU or simply "adding" whatever is being proposed. More than likely it will need a complete redesign.

Old 11-05-09, 09:51 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
What would be the cause of the acceleration accidents INCREASING during and after the years of changing the design to DBW???

I believe the # of reported incidents doubled or tripled since the change to DBW? To support my statement (and what ABC reported last night) I searched for charts of "reported" acceleration (sudden or stuck) problems at ntsb but came up empty.

Also...I've read several people saying "almost" every incident or "nearly all" incidents were driver error or not the cause of Toyota. But...THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! It should be 100% driver error! (to clear Toyota 100%)

If even JUST 1% of these accidents are in fact, ecu/cpu problems, THEN IT IS A TOYOTA PROBLEM!!!!

I'm not saying Toyota is right or wrong in this situation. I don't have all of the facts presented in front me to make that call, and I am not taking sides.

What I am saying is that the news and media are known for taking something and blowing it up in an effort to get people to watch, as a scare tactic "This could happen to you!, tonight at 9"

I pointed out the Nightline ABC news bit because they didn't even show Toyota's full official response. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsbz8uLi-Xs

Again, I'm not taking sides here, I just think the news/media goes a bit too far sometimes and just ends up scaring people rather than presenting unbiased facts.

Just released:
Toyota's official statement: It was never our intention to mislead or provide inaccurate information. Toyota agrees with NHTSA’s position that the removal of the floor mats is an interim measure and that further vehicle-based action is required. We are in the process of developing vehicle-based remedies to help avoid the potential for an incompatible or unsecured driver's floor mat to interfere with the accelerator pedal and cause it to get stuck in the wide open position.
Old 11-05-09, 10:37 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

ok let me ask this question, i am gona try as well in my ISF.

hit the gas WOT 100%, and my car is ley]ts say pedal is stuck or whatever happens and i have time, to just shift it to neutral, would that not work?
i mean the engine still be reving but my car would not accelerating?
Before you guys say this is old news, it is not. There are claims that the misplace floor mats may not be the only problem with Toyota and Lexus when it comes to Sudden Acceleration. The report go on to say that some owners have claim when it happened to them, they look down at the accelarator and it was not stuck to the floor mat. Now all eyes are on the drive by wire ECU, since Toyota started using DBW in 2002, Sudden Acceleration incidents have since double or triple.
Experts recommands when Sudden Acceleration or a runaway situation happens, try to shift the car in neutral and do not shut off the car. Also, do not hit the brakes, it will cause it to over heat and render it useless. Although it did mention that there are a few German cars that when your tap the brakes, it will cut off the throttle, anyone know which German cars does that?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Runawa...ory?id=8980479
Old 11-05-09, 11:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Okay I've had pretty much enough of this acting like German cars are all so safe and they don't get into accidents b/c of failures (BMW had a brake recall on the M3 of all models recently for instance). Also unless you are Albert Einstein there is no cracking a Toyota ECU or simply "adding" whatever is being proposed. More than likely it will need a complete redesign.
Of course German car gets into accident as well, but like it or not, the Germans do over engineer their cars more than the Japanese.

Since the San Diego crash, Toyota has urged all its customers to remove their floor mats as an interim fix. But longer term, Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said, the company is examining significant design changes.

One possible remedy is to redesign the accelerator pedal to make it harder to get caught by a floor mat, he said. Another potential fix, he said, involves reprogramming the engine's computer to automatically cut power when a driver brakes while the gas pedal is depressed.

The other common defense tactic advised by experts is to simply shift a runaway vehicle into neutral. But the ES 350 is equipped with an automatic transmission that can mimic manual shifting, and its shift lever on the console has a series of gates and detents that allow a driver to select any of at least four forward gears.

The arrangement of those gear selections could make it difficult to shift from a forward gear directly into neutral in a panic situation, Toyota spokesman Lyons acknowledged.

Last edited by The G Man; 11-05-09 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 03:31 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Found this post from another site, these incidents doesnt sound like its the floor mat getting stuck to me:

I was looking at the NHTSA site http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints to see if there were many complaints about unintended acceleration and found quite a few. I'm wondering how many of these could be blamed on mats:

Make: TOYOTA
Model: RAV4

Year: 2006
Complaint Number: 10158098
Summary:
DT*: THE CONTACT STATED AFTER BEING PARKED IN A PARKING LOT FOR 2 HOURS AND 15 MINUTES, THE VEHICLE WAS STARTED. IT WAS PLACED IN REVERSE AND THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL WAS DEPRESSED. WHILE THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL WAS DEPRESSED, THE VEHICLE PROCEEDED AT AN EXCEPTIONAL SPEED. IN AN ATTEMPT TO STOP THE MOMENTUM OF THE VEHICLE, THE CONTACT PLACED THE VEHICLE INTO NEUTRAL. DURING THE INCIDENT, THE VEHICLE MADE AN EXTREMELY LOUD NOISE AS IF THE VEHICLE WAS TRAVELING AT 100 MPH. THE BRAKES WERE USED TO STOP THE VEHICLE. THE KEY WAS TURNED TO THE OFF POSITION AND THE VEHICLE WAS LATER DRIVEN HOME. THE VEHICLE IS CURRENTLY AT THE SERVICE DEALER FOR INSPECTION.

Complaint Number: 10160084
Summary:
AS I STOPPED AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT THE ENGINE BEGAN RACING AND I ALMOST WAS FORCED INTO THE INTERSECTION INTO TRAFFIC. I HAD TO PUSH AS HARD AS I COULD ON THE BRAKE PEDAL TO PREVENT AN ACCIDENT. THIS IS THE 3RD TIME THAT HAS HAPPENED AND I AM VERY APPREHENSIVE ABOUT DRIVING THE VEHICLE. IT IS A 2006 TOYOTA RAV 4 SPORT.

Complaint Number: 10166085
Summary:
DT*: THE CONTACT STATED WHILE DRIVING 35MPH ON A CITY STREET, THE VEHICLE LURCHED FORWARD WITHOUT WARNING INTO THE RIGHT SIDE OF ANOTHER VEHICLE. THE CONTACT STOPPED THE SUDDEN ACCELERATION BY TURNING OFF THE IGNITION AND ENGAGING THE EMERGENCY PARK BRAKE. NO INJURIES WERE SUSTAINED. THERE WAS MODERATE DAMAGE TO EACH OF THE VEHICLES. THE POLICE WERE ON THE SCENE AND A REPORT WAS TAKEN. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO A BODY SHOP TO AWAIT INSPECTION. THE MANUFACTURER WAS ALERTED.

Complaint Number: 10179066
Summary:
TL* - THE CONTACT STATED THE HE OWNS A 2006 TOYOTA RAV4. WHILE DRIVING HIS VEHICLE AT 5 MPH AND HE WAS TRIED TO COME TO A STOP WHEN THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THIS HAPPENED 3 TIMES BEFORE HE TOOK THE VEHICLE TO DEALERSHIP. THE DEALERSHIP DID RUN A COMPUTER DIAGNOSTIC AND FOUND NO ERRORS. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE RAN FINE FOR A WHILE AND ON 12/29/06 WHILE DRIVING THE VEHICLE TRIED TO MAKE A TURN AND TO STOP WHEN THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED AGAIN. HE STATED THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED 4 TIMES THAT DAY. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE SECOND TIME THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT COME TO A STOP AND RAN INTO STAIRS WHICH DAMAGED THE GUARD THAT PROTECTS THE BUMPER. THE CONTACT CALLED TOYOTA'S REGIONAL OFFICE IN CHICAGO. THE CONTACT MET AN INVESTIGATOR AT A DEALERSHIP TO RUN MORE DIAGNOSTIC TESTING. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE INVESTIGATOR FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH THE VEHICLE, BUT IS WAITING FOR THE OFFICIAL TEST RESULTS. *JB THE CONSUMER STATED THE THIRD TIME THE INCIDENT HAPPENED, HE RAN INTO A DECK AND CAUSED DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE. UPDATED 03/07/07*JB

Complaint Number: 10181057
Summary:
I WAS DRIVING MY 2006 TOYOTA RAV4 WHEN I APPLIED THE BRAKES FROM ABOUT 25 MPH TO STOP FOR TRAFFIC AT A LIGHT. AS I APPLIED THE BRAKE THE ENGINE ACCELERATED AND I HAD TO STAND HARD ON THE BRAKE TO KEEP FROM HITTING THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME. AFTER A FEW SECONDS THE ENGINE SPEED CAME BACK TO NORMAL. AT THAT TIME I DOUBLE CHECKED MY FOOT POSITION ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND AM CONFIDENT THAT I WAS IN NO WAY CONTACTING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. *JB

Complaint Number: 10179165
Summary:
TL* - THE CONTACT STATED THAT HIS 2006 TOYOTA RAV4 ACCELERATED WHILE HIS FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE. THE CONTACT TOOK THE VEHICLE TO DEALER AND THE COMPUTER WAS REPLACED. ON 12/27/06 THE CONTACT STATED HE WAS INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT. WHILE HIS FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE AND HE WAS STOPPED AT A LIGHT, THE VEHICLE LURCHED FORWARD AND STRUCK THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF HIM. THE CONTACT HEARD A LOUD NOISE BEFORE THE INCIDENT. THE FAILURE MILEAGE ON THE VEHICLE WAS 94000. THE CONTACT WAS ABLE TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE. THERE WAS DAMAGE TO THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. THE DEALER TOLD THE CONTACT THAT THE FRONT END DAMAGE WILL NEED TO BE REPAIRED BEFORE THEY CAN DIAGNOSE ERRORS IN THE COMPUTER. THE CONTACT HAS A POLICE REPORT AND A REPAIR INVOICE FROM THE FIRST INCIDENT. *NM WHEN MAKING TURNS LEFT OR RIGHT THE CONSUMER INDICATED THAT THE STEERING WHEEL FELT HARD. THE DEALER ORDERED A POWER STEERING COMPUTER. *NM UPDATED 02/16/07.*JB

Complaint Number: 10193540
Summary:
HESITATES TO ACCELERATE. IT WOULD NOT GO OVER 20 MPH FOR OVER 2 MILES. I LIVE RIGHT OFF A MAJOR HIGHWAY, AND WHEN I TRY TO PULL ON HIGHWAY, CAR DOES NOT WANT TO GO. I HAD IT TO THE DEALER ABOUT 4 TIMES, BUT THEY COULD NOT GET IT TO GO. ONCE THEY CLAIMED IT WAS THE FLOOR MAT JAMMING UNDER THE GAS PEDAL. THEY KEPT IT FOR A WEEK AND FOUND NOTHING. ALSO, THEY LOOKED ON A WEBSITE AND FOUND NO OTHER COMPLAINTS. I AM VERY UNHAPPY. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.*AK

Complaint Number: 10193615
Summary:
THE ENGINE ON TOYOTA RAV 4 STARTED TO RACE AT MAXIMUM RPMS WHILE I WAS PARKING THE CAR. FORTUNATELY IT WAS IN NEUTRAL. I PUMPED THE ACCELERATOR BUT THAT DID NO GOOD. I TURNED THE KEY OFF AND THEN RESTARTED THE CAR. THE PROBLEM REPEATED. I DID THIS SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE ENGINE STARTED TO IDLE NORMALLY. I TOOK THE CAR TO THE DEALER,BUT THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT. I' WAS CONCERNE DTHE PROBLEM WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN WHILE DRIVING.*AK

Complaint Number: 10219888
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 TOYOTA RAV4. THE VEHICLE AUTOMATICALLY ACCELERATED. THE CONTACT HAD TO DEPRESS HARD ON THE BRAKES AND/OR SHIFT INTO NEUTRAL IN ORDER TO KEEP THE VEHICLE FROM ENTERING INTO TRAFFIC. THE FAILURE OCCURRED ON MARCH 2, 2008. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 12,125 AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 12,135. UPDATED 03/25/08. *LJ

Complaint Number: 10225586
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 TOYOTA RAV4. ON MARCH 17, 2008, WHILE COASTING INTO A PARKING SPACE WITH HER FOOT ON THE BRAKE, THE ENGINE REVVED AND THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED AND CRASHED INTO ANOTHER VEHICLE. THERE WERE NO WARNING SIGNS PRIOR TO THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE HAD UNDERGONE REGULARLY SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE BEFORE THE CRASH OCCURRED. THE WEATHER WAS DRY ON THE DAY OF THE CRASH. THE VEHICLE WAS RELEASED BACK TO THE CONTACT; HOWEVER, IT HAD TO BE TAKEN BACK TO THE SHOP DUE TO RIDING ROUGHLY WHEN PLACED INTO OVERDRIVE. THE DEALER STATED THAT THE TORQUE CONVERTER WAS LOCKING EVERYTIME THE TRANSMISSION WAS PLACED INTO OVERDRIVE. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THERE WERE NO INJURIES AND THE CONTACT WAS NOT CITED. THE CURRENT MILEAGE IS 17,690 AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 17,687. UPDATED 5/13/08 *CN THE DEALER DETERMINED THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE OVERDIRVE. UPDATED

Year: 2007
Complaint Number: 10210368
Summary:
RACING RPM'S WHEN USING CRUISE CONTROL; RACED WAY UP TO 5-6 AND THEN BACK DOWN. *TR

Complaint Number: 10210427
Summary:
I HAVE A TOYOTA RAV-4. IF I APPLY THE BRAKES AND MY FOOT IS PLACED PARTIALLY TOO FAR TO THE RIGHT, IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL, CAUSING THE ENGINE TO RACE AND THE CAR TO LUNGE FORWARD. THE BRAKE PEDAL TRAVELS BELOW THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. I NOTICE AN INCREASED LEVEL OF ACCIDENTS WHERE A VEHICLE CRASHES INTO A BUILDING. I BELIEVE THIS MIGHT BE A CAUSE OF THIS TYPE OF ACCIDENT. I DISCUSSED THE PROBLEM WITH THE TOYOTA SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AND HE SAID THAT THIS CONDITION IS TYPICAL WITH THE NEW TYPE OF BRAKING SYSTEM. *TR

Complaint Number: 10216273
Summary:
MY 2007 TOYOTA RAV4 EXPERIENCES SUDDEN AND RANDOM INSTANCES OF UNCONTROLLABLE ACCELERATION WHEN ATTEMPTING TO STOP. UNDER FULL BRAKE PRESSURE THE ENGINE REVS TO 4000 RPM AND CONTINUES TO MOVE. WHEN I SHIFT TO NEUTRAL TO STOP THE VEHICLE, THE ENGINE REVS TO 6500 RPM. SOMETIMES IT WILL RETURN TO NORMAL IDLE AFTER A FEW SECONDS AND SOMETIMES IT IS NECESSARY TO TURN OFF THE IGNITION. IT USUALLY RESTARTS NORMALLY BUT OCCASIONALLY REPEATS THE 6500 RPM. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO THE DEALER TWICE WHO FINDS NO COMPUTER RECORD OF A MALFUNCTION AND REPORTS THAT " EVERYTHING MEETS FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS. " I HAVE REQUESTED TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FROM TOYOTA MOTOR SALES BUT THEY ONLY REFER ME BACK TO THE DEALER. *TR

Complaint Number: 10263960
Summary:
AFTER A DANGEROUS SURGE-AT-STOP PROBLEM, WE TOOK OUR 2007 RAV4 TO OUR DEALER YESTERDAY, BUT SO FAR THEY CLAIM THEY CAN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG. WE TOLD THE DEALER THAT WE DON'T WANT THE CAR BACK UNTIL THEY FIX THIS LIFE-THREATENING CONDITION. YESTERDAY WAS ACTUALLY THE THIRD TIME THAT THIS HAPPENED, AND EACH TIME THE PROBLEM WAS MORE INTENSE THAN THE PRIOR INCIDENT. THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED, AROUND THREE WEEKS AGO, MY HUSBAND WASN'T SURE IF HE HAD ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE ACCELERATOR, SO HE IGNORED IT. THE SECOND TIME IT HAPPENED, FIVE DAYS AGO, HE WAS MORE AWARE, AND KNEW WHERE HIS FOOT WAS PLACED, AND KNEW FOR SURE THAT THIS WAS AN ENGINE SURGE ENTIRELY UNRELATED TO ANYTHING HE WAS DOING. IT WAS ONLY BECAUSE HE HAD HIS FOOT PLACED FIRMLY ON THE BRAKE THAT HE WAS ABLE TO CONTROL THE RAV4 AND PREVENT IT SURGING PAST THE RED LIGHT. YESTERDAY WAS THE WORST INCIDENT, SINCE THE SURGE HAPPENED, AGAIN AT A RED LIGHT, WITH CARS PASSING IN FRONT OF OUR RAV4 (WE WERE FIRST IN LINE) AND WHEN MY HUSBAND JAMMED HIS FOOT HARDER ON THE BRAKE, THE ENGINE SURGED EVEN HARDER, AND LOUDER, AND HE HAD TO REALLY FORCE THE BRAKE PEDAL DOWN. IF OUR DAUGHTER HAD BEEN DRIVING THE RAV4 THERE IS NO DOUBT IN OUR MINDS THAT SHE WOULD HAVE GONE RIGHT INTO THE INTERSECTION, AND EITHER BROADSIDED A VEHICLE, OR BEEN BROADSIDED HERSELF, WITH CATASTROPHIC RESULTS. THIS SEEMS LIKE THE KIND OF LIFE-THREATENING CONDITION THAT NHTSA SHOULD REALLY FOCUS ON, AND THAT TOYOTA SHOULD WANT TO IMMEDIATELY FIX, BEFORE SEVERAL PEOPLE GET KILLED. *TR

Complaint Number: 10274014
Summary:
THE THROTTLE IN MY 2007 RAV4 V6 LIMITED HAS STUCK OPEN THREE TIMES IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS. IT HAPPENS AFTER I "FLOOR" THE ACCELERATOR. THE FIRST TIME OCCURRED IN MY GARAGE AS I WAS TRYING TO START THE ENGINE. I HAD TO TURN IT OFF. THE SECOND TIME WAS A WEEK LATER AS I WAS PASSING A TRUCK GOING UP A HILL ON A 3 LANE HIGHWAY. I PUT ON THE BRAKES AND TRIED TO GET THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL AS I TRIED TO GET TO CROSS TWO LANES OF TRAFFIC TO GET TO THE SHOULDER. I WAS SUCCESSFUL WITHOUT GETTING INTO AN ACCIDENT, BUT IT WAS SCARY. I TOOK THE CAR TO A DEALER AND THEY SAID THAT THE THROTTLE BODY HAD A LEAK, SO THEY REPLACED THE SEAL. I DID NOT EXPERIENCE THE PROBLEM AGAIN FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS UNTIL IT HAPPENED AGAIN TWO DAYS AGO. I WAS ACCELERATING TO MERGE WITH TRAFFIC ON A FREEWAY. I APPLIED THE BRAKES AND THE THROTTLE STOPPED STICKING AND QUICKLY RETURNED TO NORMAL OPERATION. *TR

Year: 2008
Complaint Number: 10260129
Summary:
2008 TOYOTA RAV4 HAD A JAMMED GAS PEDAL. CONSUMER STATES THAT THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE FLOOR MATS. *NJ THE CONSUMER STATED WHILE DRIVING, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED ONE QUARTER BLOCK OF A CITY BLOCK, VEERING TO THE LEFT AND DEMOLISHED ONE CAR. THE VEHICLE THEN CONTINUED ANOTHER QUARTER BLOCK AND DESTROYED ANOTHER VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE THEN TURNED IN THE OTHER DIRECTION AND HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE ONLY CAME TO A STOP AFTER IT CRASHED INTO A BUILDING. *JB

Year: 2008
Complaint Number: 10245542
Summary:
WAS GOING THROUGH A DRIVE THROUGH CARWASH, AUTO IN NEUTRAL. REACHED THE END, PUT FOOT ON BRAKE, PUT AUTO INTO DRIVE. THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED ON IT'S OWN, GOING STRAIGHT OUT OF THE END OF THE CARWASH. HAD THE BRAKES ON BUT THEY DIDN'T STOP THE VEHICLE. TURNED THE CAR TO MISS A TELEPHONE POLE AND WENT OUT INTO 4-LANE HWY., CRASHING INTO ANOTHER VEHICLE, STOPPING MY VEHICLE FINALLY. VEHICLE WOULD NOT STOP AT ALL. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO OUR INS. CO. REPAIR/ESTIMATE SHOP. DO NOT HAVE A CAUSE FOR THE PROBLEM AS YET, STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION. *TR
Old 11-05-09, 03:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Here is another incidence in a Toyota, you can go onto any Toyota model forum and you will find stories like this:

This guy actaully make sure the gas pedal was free when his RAV was surging out of control:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...=16073&start=0

I just find it odd that Toyota jump on this floor mat recall so quickly, is it because if the floor mat is the problem that cause sudden accelaration, it would be the best senerio for Toyota.

Last edited by The G Man; 11-05-09 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology