Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 11:08 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota on Friday also recalled a small number of 2010 model year Tacomas to fix potential problems with their drive shaft that could cause the pickups to lose control.

From http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...TrT3AD9DQUVC81
Old 02-12-10, 11:26 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Good news to report. My dad called his Toyota/Lexus dealer today and asked about an oil change. The lady said bring it in, my dad then asked if he could schedule an appointment for the pedal fix....the ladies response..."How about now?"

What amazing service from Ken Shaw Lexus Toyota in the GTA.....30 minutes later, my dad's car had the pedal fixed.
Old 02-13-10, 05:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sounds like a bunch of people that hate driving and don't know how to drive now PAYING ATTENTION to driving and bishing.

Electronic hybrid brakes feel "different" and the MANUAL states this.
well even the positive articles suck - Steve was not talking about that at all, he just did not know how cruise control works, which has nothing to do with brakes.

I swear, if journalist built cars, we would all be dead by now.
Old 02-13-10, 01:40 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Hail to the victors! I read most of his books on toyota. he is well respected at michigan.

man, I miss ann arbor. hope our football team bounces back.
Old 02-14-10, 04:12 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an interesting read from MSN and WSJ. Seems toyota has know the sticky pedal problem since they switched to electronic throttles but managed to sway NHTSA.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ts.aspx?page=1
Old 02-14-10, 05:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

don't know if this is a repost but good article on how toyota was kind of blind to its problems...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...5uaDQD9DRSP300
Old 02-14-10, 08:27 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erm, has anyone mentioned that the Camrys have 2 different style recalls? Depending on the vin #, you either get the shingle stuff in the pedal OR they just shave it down. 2010 Model Camry's (mine) only get the shaving part.

Not going to do it since I don't floor my car when I drive...
Old 02-15-10, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Good news to report. My dad called his Toyota/Lexus dealer today and asked about an oil change. The lady said bring it in, my dad then asked if he could schedule an appointment for the pedal fix....the ladies response..."How about now?"

What amazing service from Ken Shaw Lexus Toyota in the GTA.....30 minutes later, my dad's car had the pedal fixed.
Dad's car eh? What kind of car was this for? I'm goign to guess the Avalon?
Old 02-15-10, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Dad's car eh? What kind of car was this for? I'm goign to guess the Avalon?

With 3.0L, V6 Avalons, getting the oil changed is probably as important as the gas-pedal issues. That engine, though fine with frequent oil changes, is unforgiving of extended intervals, and has classic gel/sludge problems.
Old 02-15-10, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Here's an interesting read from MSN and WSJ. Seems toyota has know the sticky pedal problem since they switched to electronic throttles but managed to sway NHTSA.
The electronic, Drive-by-Wire throttles have also had some other issues unrelated to runaway acceleration. Some Lexus models (including my old IS300) have had problems with very sluggish throttle response/acceleration on rolling starts at low speeds. You would slow to 5 or 10 MPH, hit the gas, and almost nothing at all would happen for several seconds.
Old 02-16-10, 01:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With 3.0L, V6 Avalons, getting the oil changed is probably as important as the gas-pedal issues. That engine, though fine with frequent oil changes, is unforgiving of extended intervals, and has classic gel/sludge problems.
I've owned 2 vehicles with 1MZ-FE V6's (95 Avalon and 99 Solara). Both were driven to 100k miles with NO issues. Oil and filter was changed at regular 3k intervals religiously. Never burnt oil, never had sludge issues, never had one problem. Like the pedal entrapment fiasco, the sludge issue in my opinion is stupidity. Toyota is all about the customer and customer service. They will absorb the cost because of someone's stupidity.
Old 02-16-10, 05:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Here is article from Retures on updated number of complaints:
http://in.reuters.com/article/global...46192420100216

Toyota crash complaints rise in U.S. - govt
Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:30am IST
Email | Print | Share| Single Page[-] Text [+]
1 of 1Full SizeWASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fatalities alleged by consumers to the government related to unintended acceleration in Toyota Motor Corp vehicles have reached 34, with a recent jump in complaints accounting for more than a third of the total, U.S. regulators said on Monday.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has added reports of nine crashes from 2005 to 2010 to its complaint database since Jan. 27, alleging 13 fatalities and 10 injuries.

Regulators say it is common for consumer complaints to rise following a major automotive recall. Toyota has recalled millions of vehicles in recent months due to complaints of unintended acceleration.

Another huge recall in late January involved gas pedals that do not spring back as designed. Toyota is fixing that problem.

NHTSA has said it believes five deaths are related to floor mats and none to the "sticky pedal" problem
So 5 people with mats, none with anything else. In span of 10 years. 350,000 people died in automotive accidents during the same time.
Old 02-16-10, 07:00 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
India-46192420100216
So 5 people with mats, none with anything else. In span of 10 years. 350,000 people died in automotive accidents during the same time.
Makes you think, doesn't it?
Regarding the CTS pedal that doesn't spring back, people need to know that Toyota, along with the NHTSA are reaching, here. They *never* said that they found the pedal to be sticking, only that there is a possibility. They still haven't found one single stuck or sticking CTS pedal. It's important to know this fact because things have been blown way out of proportion, here.
Old 02-16-10, 09:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Makes you think, doesn't it?
Regarding the CTS pedal that doesn't spring back, people need to know that Toyota, along with the NHTSA are reaching, here. They *never* said that they found the pedal to be sticking, only that there is a possibility. They still haven't found one single stuck or sticking CTS pedal. It's important to know this fact because things have been blown way out of proportion, here.
yeah, ALL of the media reported of crashes as pedal stuck issue (smartly mentioning both recalls so they are not cought in a lie), so most people think accidents were due to pedal recall and not mats...

and as predicted, my eastern european newspaper now reported how "it seems like unprecedented media frenzy was at fault" and that it does not seem that it was that bad... even if they lead the media charge... haha.

sadly there is no accountability in today's media. It makes me think about ALL the other issues happening in the world, and what is the actual truth behind them.
Old 02-16-10, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
I've owned 2 vehicles with 1MZ-FE V6's (95 Avalon and 99 Solara). Both were driven to 100k miles with NO issues. Oil and filter was changed at regular 3k intervals religiously. Never burnt oil, never had sludge issues, never had one problem. Like the pedal entrapment fiasco, the sludge issue in my opinion is stupidity. Toyota is all about the customer and customer service. They will absorb the cost because of someone's stupidity.
Yes, we agree on that. The 3.0 was OK as long as you kept the oil changed......which, IMO, is 3-5 months and 3000-5000 miles, depending on driving conditons.

But too many people simply neglect the oil or let it go too long. Some engines are forgiving of that.....the 3.0 simply isn't.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology