Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 09:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
If you think the Big 3 ceo's were hammered for taking private planes just wait till the hearings next week, Toyota will come back but with all this bad news I think it will take longer than most think.
I wonder how the Toyota execs will arrive? I say Prius
Old 02-18-10, 05:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
If you think the Big 3 ceo's were hammered for taking private planes just wait till the hearings next week, Toyota will come back but with all this bad news I think it will take longer than most think.
i heard ceo of toyota won't come to the hearings. i think that's a big PR mistake.
Old 02-18-10, 08:32 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i heard ceo of toyota won't come to the hearings. i think that's a big PR mistake.
He will come if he is asked to appear at the hearings; otherwise he won't come. The rationale is that he is very busy right now going through a top-to-bottom review of all policies and procedures within the company related to quality.
Old 02-18-10, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Not being an American citizen, he is probably not subject to a Congressional subpoena, but, as you point out, the reputation of the company may be at stake.

And still, even so, we may not be missing much. I've watched a number of corporate big-wigs testify before, and a lot of what they have to say (indeed, like the very politicians they're sitting in front of) is double-talk. That's not to say that ALL of what they have to say is B.S., but you can tell that at least some of it is done simply for damage control, political, or PR effect.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 03:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CEO Akio Toyoda to testify before Congress

CEO Akio Toyoda to testify before Congress:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...754600732.html

They've also subpoenaed the former Toyota lawyer who accused his bosses of a coverup, along with documents which his own lawyers later found contained no such evidence. I wonder how many media outlets will mention his discredited history? It didn't stop ABC News from interviewing him recently, without mention that.
Old 02-18-10, 04:02 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the benefits of electric steering, but . . .

what happens if the electric steering unit loses power? Will you still be able to steer the car?

I don't know the whole workings of electric steering.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The electronic, Drive-by-Wire throttles have also had some other issues unrelated to runaway acceleration. Some Lexus models (including my old IS300) have had problems with very sluggish throttle response/acceleration on rolling starts at low speeds. You would slow to 5 or 10 MPH, hit the gas, and almost nothing at all would happen for several seconds.
Haven't tried this. Hmm.

You got to wonder, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Last edited by dsp979; 02-18-10 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BTW, on the public news tonight, the Toyota CEO said he was not going to actually testify himself, but send some of his execs to do the talking. Whether he changes his mind or not and testifies remains to be seen.
He has now changed his mind and says he WILL testify.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/02...-over-recalls/
Old 02-20-10, 11:00 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Does Akio toyoda even speak a lick of english? Im actually pretty curious to what will be asked.. I wonder if they will air this on CSPAN
Old 02-20-10, 11:28 AM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

He can write and understands English perfectly. The hesitation is more that he cannot speak it fluently. In Japan, when you ask anyone something in English, they usually will wave no and bow and step backwards- not that they do not understand, but they are embarrassed they cannot speak it fluently.

Akio worked at Toyota USA several years ago, met all the important Toyota visiors, etc. and he also took Graduate School in the East Coast.... then worked odd jobs in various Toyota departments and even dealerships!

He may not be too familiar with the exact details of what has been going on lately and in litigation it is always the safer way to assign a subordinate who knows more first hand.

There is real ugly politics and vendetta going on here. He was "invited" but not Subpoenaed- after he earlier said he was not coming.

Shame is a real big cutural thing in Japan. It is this same culture why maybe Toyota USA could not respond in a more timely matter, instead using a "silent recall" mode.

It was Motorsport day at Toyota last Wednesday- Toyota sponsored teams and associates displayed their race vehicles... but the general feeling in the whole Torrance campus was like Ground Zero.

Real sad days... but like a disciplined child- Toyota will become better and stronger.

Last edited by TOYSPORT; 02-20-10 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-20-10, 11:49 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOYSPORT
He can write and understands English perfectly. The hesitation is more that he cannot speak it fluently. In Japan, when you ask anyone something in English, they usually will wave no and bow and step backwards- not that they do not understand, but they are embarrassed they cannot speak it fluently.

Akio worked at Toyota USA several years ago, met all the important Toyota visiors, etc. and he also took Graduate School in the East Coast.... then worked odd jobs in various Toyota departments and even dealerships!

He may not be too familiar with the exact details of what has been going on lately and in litigation it is always the safer way to assign a subordinate who knows more first hand.

There is real ugly politics and vendetta going on here. He was "invited" but not Subpoenaed- after he earlier said he was not coming.

Shame is a real big cutural thing in Japan. It is this same culture why maybe Toyota USA could not respond in a more timely matter, instead using a "silent recall" mode.

It was Motorsport day at Toyota last Wednesday- Toyota sponsored teams and associates displayed there race vehicles... but the general feeling in the whole Torrance campus was like Ground Zero.

Real sad days... but like a disciplined child- Toyota will become better and stronger.
Wow, thanks for the report. Yes, I read that Akio's prepared English remarks at the recent Japan press conferences were ok, but it's not his native tongue so the back and forth may be difficult. It's been a very difficult first year as CEO, I wish him the best. And hopefully after this week, the recovery can begin in earnest...there will be bumps along the way, but past the political grandstanding this month, and with the successful completion of the recalls, there may be better days ahead.
Old 02-20-10, 04:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It was Motorsport day at Toyota last Wednesday- Toyota sponsored teams and associates displayed there race vehicles... but the general feeling in the whole Torrance campus was like Ground Zero.

Thanks for the news .
Old 02-20-10, 06:42 PM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

the problem Toyota is facing in responding to all the negative news is that they are now all lawyered-up and PR crisis manged. Toyota has one main spokesperson M.M.- but if you read the statements emanating from Toyota there are now 5-6 named as spokesperson.

Toyota USA wanted to respond a certain way, but Toyota Japan calls the final shot. Then the Japanese government adds to the distraction by simoultaneously attacking Toyota and then defending Toyota (and the rest of the Japanese auto industry).

The NHTSA was caught not doing it's job- and is now taking it against Toyota: over-reacting and bypassing standard procedures on investigation and recalls. In the future- all manufacturers will suffer because the lawyers will have a field day going thru all the NHTSA records, where they will find out that Toyota has a better record than anyone. But Toyota is on the hot seat and Toyota has the dough so it is the perfect storm....

there is no such thing as a 100% perfect product, more than 98% of accidents are caused by operator error-the other 2% by all the oher variables (natural and mechanical) that can be attributed to the circumstance...

did all the electronic safety devices help? definitely yes, but how to defend it against supposed malfunction? human error is the biggest factor here, all the devices were designed to help the operators' shortcomings- and the ultimate control is with the operator. If he cannot manage a modern car with all the electronics than maybe he should not drive it?

Last edited by TOYSPORT; 02-20-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 06:53 PM
LexFather

the problem Toyota is facing in responding to all the negative news is that they are now all lawyered-up and PR crisis manged. Toyota has one main spokesperson M.M.- but if you read the statements emanating from Toyota there are now 5-6 named as spokesperson.

Toyota USA wanted to respond a certain way, but Toyota Japan calls the final shot. Then the Japanese government adds to the distraction by simoultaneously attacking Toyota and then defending Toyota (and the rest of the Japanese auto industry).

The NHTSA was caught not doing it's job- and is now taking it against Toyota: over-reacting and bypassing standard procedures on investigation and recalls. In the future- all manufacturers will suffer because the lawyers will have a field day going thru all the NHTSA records, where they will find out that Toyota has a better record than anyone. But Toyota is on the hot seat and Toyota has the dough so it is the perfect storm....

there is no such thing as a 100% perfect product, more than 98% of accidents are caused by operator error-the other 2% by all the oher variables (natural and mechanical) that can be attributed to the circumstance...

did all the electronic safety devices help? definitely yes, but how to defend it against supposed malfunction? human error is the biggest factor here, all the devices were designed to help the operators' shortcomings- and the ultimate control is with the operator. If he cannot manage a modern car with all the electronics than maybe he should not drive it?
Wow, some great posts, thanks!

Last edited by LexFather; 02-20-10 at 07:20 PM.

Old 02-21-10, 06:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

nobody cares of the actual ratings of toyota@nthsa... edmunds researched it, it was 4th best overall, above all full line manufacturers and competition....nobody mentions it anymore.

why would they? lahood says that he is on mission to make toyota fix every car. whenever it slows down, media and politicians bring it up again.

p.s. If GlaxoSmithKline was an non-USA company, there would be hundreds of people in jail now. But now, apperantly media is defending them despite study showing 83,000 heart attacks due to their diabetes medicine. There are 350 articles on google right now about it... and 20,000 about toyota recalls.

83,000 vs 5... and 5 wins. its funny. and sad.
Old 02-21-10, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

spwolf - don't confuse the issue with facts.

you're right, it isn't 'fair' but politics, and life, are never entirely fair.

sometimes a person or organization is at the wrong place at the wrong time. and sometimes when that happens they react poorly or insufficiently, too. i think TOYSPORT's comment that perhaps japanese culture and strong control by the toyota's japanese headquarters (i've heard u.s. subsidiaries of japanese companies, perhaps toyota too, have very little control over strategy or even operational flexibility) have made this mess FAR WORSE than it needed to be.

yes, they have an overzealous administration against them, an administration hell bent on helping GM and UAW by bashing toyota, but toyota has played this ALL WRONG. they've tried to be the 'nice guy' and they're getting stomped. they needed to come out and VIGOROUSLY defend themselves, their safety records, compare themselves against others, sue slanderers, aggressively seek a settlement with LEGITIMATE claimants, put major short term incentives on vehicles, and on and on.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology