Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 10:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a so-called "automotive expert", Dr. Gilbert is having a lot of trouble answering some fairly simple questions, what a joke .
Old 02-23-10, 10:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Is this Dr Gilbert a guru in automotive electronics?
He's actually no doctor. He just has a master's in teaching auto tech. Is he a real auto electronic expert? I don't think so. He maybe book proficient in it, but in his credits, it shows no real automotive technician experience of any sort.
Old 02-23-10, 10:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
For a so-called "automotive expert", Dr. Gilbert is having a lot of trouble answering some fairly simple questions, what a joke .
That whole ABC segment is flawed (not just the short video clip shown on the internet). I'm glad Toyota called both ABC and Gilbert out in that response last night.
Old 02-23-10, 10:08 AM
LexFather

So I add abc to my go to hell list...

Old 02-23-10, 10:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
That whole ABC segment is flawed (not just the short video clip shown on the internet). I'm glad Toyota called both ABC and Gilbert out in that response last night.
I agree, unfortunately I have my doubts that it will make a difference in the overall outcome of the hearings.
Old 02-23-10, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So I add abc to my go to hell list...
ABC and CBS (even more) was there a long time ago. That's why I watch mostly PBS news.
Old 02-23-10, 10:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that ABC thing was a joke, putting a resistor across two totally independent signal wires to try to induce a failure. Theres no way that would happen in real life

60 Minutes artificially caused Audi pedals to move on their own by drilling and pumping fluid somewhere to make it seem like it had a mind of its own. Falsifying experiment results in order to reach a pre-determined conclusion has already been done by the media with no apologies, dont think it wont happen again.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/v...n-acceleratio/

PRESS RELEASE

Toyota's Statement in Regard to ABC News Story: Expert Recreates Sudden Acceleration in Toyota

Toyota spoke with Mr. Gilbert on February 16 in an effort to understand his concerns. During this discussion, Mr. Gilbert explained that he had connected a resistor between the output wires of the two accelerator pedal sensors on a Toyota Tundra. In other words, he had artificially introduced an abnormal connection between two otherwise independent signals coming from the accelerator pedal sensors. Mr. Gilbert advised Toyota that he believed that his intentional misdirection of these signals could cause the vehicle to accelerate unexpectedly.

In response to Mr. Gilbert's claim as communicated to Toyota, Toyota confirmed that what Mr. Gilbert described would not cause unintended acceleration to occur. In fact, under the abnormal condition described last week by Mr. Gilbert, if there is a short with low resistance between the two signals, the electronic throttle control system illuminates the "check engine" light and the vehicle enters into a fail-safe mode of engine idle operation. If there is a short with high resistance, outside the range of "check engine" light illumination, the accelerator pedal continues to be responsive to driver input and the vehicle will return to the idle condition when the foot is taken off of the accelerator pedal. Unintended acceleration would not occur.

After watching the story today on ABC News featuring Mr. Gilbert, Toyota was surprised to learn that Mr. Gilbert appears now to be making a different claim regarding the electronic throttle control system and in a vehicle other than as described to Toyota last week. Although it is difficult to tell from the footage used in the story, Mr. Gilbert appears to be introducing a different external and artificial method to manipulate the throttle. In order to set the record straight, Toyota welcomes the opportunity to evaluate the Toyota Avalon shown in today's story and the method by which Mr. Gilbert allegedly caused the vehicle to accelerate unintentionally. We welcome the attendance of ABC News at any such evaluation of this vehicle and Mr. Gilbert's testing.
People buy all kinds of those after market floormats from walmart or whatever, how come you never hear of any sudden unintended acceleration from those?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-23-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 10:18 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

So I'm watching CNBC right now and you have these congressmen being interviewed and anyone with half a brain can tell that these people are just milking this situation as much as they can. This is their big opportunity to put down the international auto company that has been taking over their country's auto industry.

They were just asked the question if they were just picking on Toyota and reply seems so fake. "Oh, not at all, Toyota employs hundreds of thousands of people, blah blah blah..."

And another congressman says that they have a internal memo where Toyota executives were "celebrating" the fact that they didn't have to do a full recall (before all this) and kept losses at hundred million. What fortune 500 company in their right mind would do that unless it was intentional by a small group of executives.

They also had this white lady testifying how she was scared to death because of a malfunctioning vehicle and she started to cry as she started to talk about calling her husband just to hear his voice yet she is completely fine. It just seems too phony to me.
Old 02-23-10, 10:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I want to know if any of these congressmen are from the UAW friendly states, that would be a hoot. Its a huge witch hunt. Dont let this distract anyone from the real issues in this country
Old 02-23-10, 10:30 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Mr. Barton is asking some very good questions to Dr. Gilbert. Gilbert seems to be struggling in answering them.
Look at Gilbert's body language. He's full of it.

BTW, quit addressing him as Dr....he's NOT! LOL
Old 02-23-10, 10:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Gee,I didn't know this happens with Prius vehicles too
Old 02-23-10, 10:34 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just painful. Half of them don't even know what they are talking about
Old 02-23-10, 10:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

So if you have a Masters, you can be called Doctor? Unless this is old...they should update his credentials. So far it's May 2009.

David W. Gilbert

DEGREES: MS Industrial Arts Education; Oklahoma State University; 1981
BS Industrial Arts Education; Oklahoma State University; 1979
AAS Industrial Arts; Northern Oklahoma College; 1977

http://automotivetechnology.siuc.edu/d_gilbrt.html
Old 02-23-10, 10:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I can't believe ABC has to stoop to rigging Toyota's for ratings like was done to Audi in the 80's and others. Does not surprise me though coming from ABC. Since ABC and most of the mainstream media is in love with this administration and this administration now owns some of GM and Chrysler and is closely supported and tied to the UAW these silly BS stagings by a bookworm "expert" is not surprising.

Still as we get more info Toyota very well may have done some underhanded things and should be held responsible if they ignored or tried to cover up things but it is getting a little silly with all the panic and drama the media is playing up into this and how they are taking every little thing, interview, personal account whether factual or not and acting as if it is true.

Letterman did have a funny bit on his show last night. It showed the camera zoom in on him real quick and then head right for his desk and hit something with the operator trying to stop it. When they showed a shot of the camera it had a big Toyota sticker on it.
Old 02-23-10, 10:44 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not anti-toyota, Mr. Braley?

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology