Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 11:52 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would be curious to know what cars everyone owns. From the tards at abc to the congressmen etc.
Obama is shuttled in a O'Gara-Hess made Cadillac limo built on a GM/Isuzu Topkick chassis.
ABC's corporate cars are probably rent-a-car special Chevy Impalas or Chrysler Sebrings, with custom Freightliner or Navistar chassis vans for their "news" teams.
The GSA is in charge of the ENTIRE Fed fleet, it's a diverse mix - everything from MCI D4500 buses for prisoner transport to the Chrysler Sebrings and Chevy Impalas you see military recruiters drive. However, Congress gets shuttled in Suburbans, however Nancy Pelosi wanted the GSA to source an armored Prius for her.
Old 02-23-10, 12:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Its not a matter of doing fine, nothing is fair regardless of where you go is my point. And will it really come back to us? Toyota can pack up and leave the country; someone else will just take the market share, big deal. We should not be afraid of a corporation nor pledge any allegiance to one unless you happen to have some personal major investment in them.

I also say why defend a corporation? Why defend a corporation that did screw up, they did make mistakes correct?

Yeah they are being treated unfairly but your going to have a hard time convincing me that American companies play on a level ground in other countries.

Go setup a new business in China and tell me it’s all fair, it’s not so at the end of the day maybe this all balances out.
I wasn't talking about fairness. Fact is, the playing ground in most markets is not level, despite the whole notion of a "free market". Even the US is no longer a level playing ground under the current govt, as you can obviously see with the Toyota situation.

China has many obstacles, and there is a noticeable anti-Japan sentiment there, yet Toyota is selling pretty well there, even though they're not very close to the market leaders.

In Japan, ALL foreign automakers face the same obstacles and difficulties. I don't see how American automakers have a hard time there, and the Europeans don't. My point is European automakers have an equally hard time in Japan as American automakers do. This means American automakers have no real excuse for their lack of competiveness in Japan. It's not fair, but the Europeans have managed to compete fine in Japan anyways despite the many obstacles for foreign automakers in that market.

Are you defending the US govt in this case? Sure another company will take up marketshare, but that does NOT mean any other corporation can make up the massive loss of investment in terms of money, jobs, and human resources. Toyota is the world's top R&D spender among public corporations, and one of the world's biggest corporate spenders on capital expenditures. Simply "someone else" is not going to completely fill the gap if Toyota was to reduce US investment.

Anyways, this is all hypothetical and just speculation. There is no guarantee any of this will actually happen.

Why defend a corporation? Perhaps because they are NOT at fault in many of these cases? Perhaps because there is a witch hunt going on against said corporation?

Why defend the govt?

There is NO conclusive proof that Toyota is at fault in all of these situations.
Old 02-23-10, 12:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

WTF Mr rush from Illonois is asking about sincere apologies and where these apologies are rooted from? total irrelevant.

WOW AT MR LENTZ TEARING. he must be under hella pressure and stress
Old 02-23-10, 12:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Lentz being burned at the stake. They continue to keep asking him questions which have NO relevance, even after Lentz has clarified his responsibilities as an executive within the company. They are questioning him as if he is the CEO himself .

When Akio Toyoda takes the stand, I think it's going to be ugly.
Old 02-23-10, 12:28 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not defending the government so don’t try to display me saying something I didn’t.

I said in plain clear view above

And at the rate the government is going with this witch hunt on Toyota…

I do not agree with what is happening to Toyota right now……

Yeah they are being treated unfairly…….
So several times I acknowledge the government is taking it to them but unless you can prove to me American corporations get fair treatment on other countries soils, it all balances out to me.

I am not going to defend a company that has screwed up; if their quality was higher we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Sorry to break it to you but Toyota is not perfect, if you feel a need to constantly defend them then do so.
Old 02-23-10, 12:31 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nthach
...however Nancy Pelosi wanted the GSA to source an armored Prius for her.
That would've been one Prius I wouldn't have minded seeing with braking issues...
Old 02-23-10, 12:32 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Lentz being burned at the stake. They continue to keep asking him questions which have NO relevance, even after Lentz has clarified his responsibilities as an executive within the company. They are questioning him as if he is the CEO himself .

Is Toyoda going on today?
Old 02-23-10, 12:35 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Is Toyoda going on today?

I hope he is because he can't do any worse than this guy.Jeez...
Old 02-23-10, 12:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I hope he is because he can't do any worse than this guy.Jeez...
tomorrow...
Old 02-23-10, 12:37 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

So what's the thing with this Dr. Gilbert thing? These comission keep talking about the "credibility" of Dr. Gilbert.

They keep saying get Gilbert's phone number....
Old 02-23-10, 12:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

they are asking him question that nobody can answer... thats the whole point.. they are politicians, thats what they know how to do... a lot of previous talk revealed that they do not know much about recalls themselves.
Old 02-23-10, 12:41 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

I have a question, and pardon my ignorance. If there is even the remote possibility of electronics being an issue, would it that difficult to fix this electronic problem along with all the other things they are doing?
Old 02-23-10, 12:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So what's the thing with this Dr. Gilbert thing? These comission keep talking about the "credibility" of Dr. Gilbert.

They keep saying get Gilbert's phone number....
he is not Dr., and he was hired by lawyers who are suing toyota... plus credibility was at stake as soon as it was revealed what exactly is he doing (connecting wires together, introducing current, etc).
Old 02-23-10, 12:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I have a question, and pardon my ignorance. If there is even the remote possibility of electronics being an issue, would it that difficult to fix this electronic problem along with all the other things they are doing?
if the problem was found, yes they could fix it... and smart pedals will be work around on any similar issue in the future.
Old 02-23-10, 12:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.

I am not going to defend a company that has screwed up; if their quality was higher we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Sorry to break it to you but Toyota is not perfect, if you feel a need to constantly defend them then do so.
Once again, WHERE is the proof Toyota has conclusively screwed up? It seems you have formed an opinion here without concrete facts, but I won't argue with you on that.

This is getting rather annoying; sorry to break it to you, but NOBODY here on CL is saying Toyota is perfect. Why is it that only Toyota critics keep bringing up the word "perfect"?

IMHO it's foolish for anyone to think that of any automaker or corporation as being perfect. Corporations are run by human beings, of course they're not perfect, I would think this is common sense.

You seem to be somewhat contradictory with your posts. One the one hand you seemingly agree this witch hunt is out of hand, yet on the other hand you think Toyota deserves what it's getting right now? So which is it?

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology