Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 12:43 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
they are asking him question that nobody can answer... thats the whole point.. they are politicians, thats what they know how to do... a lot of previous talk revealed that they do not know much about recalls themselves.
its a feel good day for the politicians
Old 02-23-10, 12:46 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a question, and pardon my ignorance. If there is even the remote possibility of electronics being an issue, would it that difficult to fix this electronic problem along with all the other things they are doing?
the problem is that if toyota says now they found something ,everything they have said for the past 6 months is moot, and people are going to think that they continually lied. I dont even know what to think anymore. Lentz is screwed
Old 02-23-10, 12:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
its a feel good day for the politicians
whole thing was pretty sobering to me, i have to say my outlook on world politics has been very naive previously. As this is field i know something about, fact that these people have apsolutly no idea on what they are talking about is making me rethinking everything we have been told on TV before. Oh i was always a bit sceptic, but this is crazy... How can I trust now CNN on what is happening around the world, when they had so many simply wrong reports on this that only went for sensationalism?
Old 02-23-10, 12:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not defending the government so don’t try to display me saying something I didn’t.

I said in plain clear view above

So several times I acknowledge the government is taking it to them but unless you can prove to me American corporations get fair treatment on other countries soils, it all balances out to me.

I am not going to defend a company that has screwed up; if their quality was higher we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Sorry to break it to you but Toyota is not perfect, if you feel a need to constantly defend them then do so.
I agree that many people on this forum are forgetting that Toyota actually made an error and will have to pay for it. Yes its hyped but yes people died and yes they may have dragged their feet. Only time will tell us how far this will go. Now I am hearing on CNN about criminal charges possibly. That makes me scratch my head a bit but.....
Old 02-23-10, 12:53 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Once again, WHERE is the proof Toyota has conclusively screwed up? It seems you have formed an opinion here without concrete facts, but I won't argue with you on that.

This is getting rather annoying; sorry to break it to you, but NOBODY here on CL is saying Toyota is perfect. Why is it that only Toyota critics keep bringing up the word "perfect"?

IMHO it's foolish for anyone to think that of any automaker or corporation as being perfect. Corporations are run by human beings, of course they're not perfect, I would think this is common sense.

You seem to be somewhat contradictory with your posts. One the one hand you seemingly agree this witch hunt is out of hand, yet on the other hand you think Toyota deserves what it's getting right now? So which is it?
Ok you are right, Toyota did nothing wrong. 100% of this entire mess is fabricated.

And my posts are clear separating my opinion that the government is blowing it up, but for the third time I will say unless you can prove to me American corps get a fair deal in other countries, well I guess that’s too bad. If you cannot understand or process that, simply don’t continue to debate me then.

Its also funny you seem to think no one on here defends Toyota or thinks their perfect, there are plenty of Toyota fan boys on here going to bat for them.

Anyone that’s says anything about this precious company is a “Toyota critic” right? That is what you said, so what does that tell me exactly?
Old 02-23-10, 12:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
the problem is that if toyota says now they found something ,everything they have said for the past 6 months is moot, and people are going to think that they continually lied. I dont even know what to think anymore. Lentz is screwed
the whole thing was focused on electronics earlier, and you have this congresswoman asking if he daughter is safe in '94 Camry... i mean did they even explain anything to her? Does she even know anything about the issue that he is discussing? Apperantly not.
Old 02-23-10, 12:56 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I agree that many people on this forum are forgetting that Toyota actually made an error and will have to pay for it. Yes its hyped but yes people died and yes they may have dragged their feet. Only time will tell us how far this will go. Now I am hearing on CNN about criminal charges possibly. That makes me scratch my head a bit but.....
They didn’t screw up; they made no mistakes at all. 100% good cars and parts! You don’t know that?

Yeah they made some mistakes and their going to pay for it.

I think of the old saying “don’t give them a reason to”………

Well Toyota just gave the government a reason to ram it up their *** and surely they will.
Old 02-23-10, 12:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Ok you are right, Toyota did nothing wrong. 100% of this entire mess is fabricated.

And my posts are clear separating my opinion that the government is blowing it up, but for the third time I will say unless you can prove to me American corps get a fair deal in other countries, well I guess that’s too bad. If you cannot understand or process that, simply don’t continue to debate me then.

Its also funny you seem to think no one on here defends Toyota or thinks their perfect, there are plenty of Toyota fan boys on here going to bat for them.

Anyone that’s says anything about this precious company is a “Toyota critic” right? That is what you said, so what does that tell me exactly?
pretty sure nothing like this has ever happened to american companies in the world... only Audi in the USA...
Old 02-23-10, 01:00 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

pretty sure nothing like this has ever happened to american companies in the world... only Audi in the USA...
It’s not this particular case of recalls; I am talking about doing business in general. The field if far from level when your doing business on their soil, I have heard countless stories to go with that from people I sent over there and brought back, so like I said it may not be fair, but it kind of is.
Old 02-23-10, 01:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

It’s not this particular case of recalls; I am talking about doing business in general. The field if far from level when your doing business on their soil, I have heard countless stories to go with that from people I sent over there and brought back, so like I said it may not be fair, but it kind of is.
not sure what that means... Asian countries should expell Microsoft, Google, Intel and all other US companies that make money there in retaliation?
Old 02-23-10, 01:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

No he means other countries don't treat US companies equally so why should we expect the US to treat foreign companies equally?
Old 02-23-10, 01:17 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

not sure what that means... Asian countries should expell Microsoft, Google, Intel and all other US companies that make money there in retaliation?
Not going to drag this off topic about those companies, but doing business on someone else’s soil is DIFFICULT and we are watching what Toyota has to deal with right now as an example HERE. There are stories going on all day long overseas where business large and small are successful but not without strife.

Thinking back to one conversation with an executive at tower automotive and what they went through when setting up shop in Asia, sure it can be done but it’s difficult because your an outsider.

Just my opinion, the global economy is going to balance itself one way or another. We are just all paying attention to this case as it’s about a brand we all enjoy and follow.
Old 02-23-10, 01:18 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
No he means other countries don't treat US companies equally so why should we expect the US to treat foreign companies equally?
Simple way of saying it

So in the end is it all fair?

Maybe it is a zero sum game over a long enough time line, we shall see.
Old 02-23-10, 01:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

okay...this california rep is talking about NUMMI and the plant in fremont. He claims that people will not buy toyota's because we lose like 3500 jobs? rediculous
Old 02-23-10, 01:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
okay...this california rep is talking about NUMMI and the plant in fremont. He claims that people will not buy toyota's because we lose like 3500 jobs? rediculous
He had to play that card to be elected again.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology