Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 12:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I will call this out, these people are absolutely LYING and full of it and I would hope would be brought up on charges for lying under oath.
Perhaps it is time to fight back and stage a drive-in at the White House. 10K Toyota vehicles parked out in front blocking all of the traffic.
Get a few Tundras and roll through the White House gates and do donuts on Obama's lawn. I'm actually serious.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-27-10 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 01:15 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Lawn Mower?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_QyFlbA8w

Old 02-27-10, 01:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
we know how fast these V6 cars are... you are at top speed within 20 seconds... I know that I personally could not drive my car at 130mph for 5-6 minutes like these people can...

... so congrats to them.
I will admit I am less defensive when it comes to people making claims about toyota issue but I have to admit I keep thinking if my car kept accelerating I would be at 145 mph and I don't #1 I could sustain that kind of speed in town anywhere for more than maybe 30 -60 seconds if even. #2 How do you stop a car at full speed with no brakes and walk away.

I am detecting some BS as well
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-10, 02:28 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by McMuffin
Hilarious, like to see how that was done.
Old 02-27-10, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
There is video of Akio Toyoda speaking with the news reporters in English!
Yeah...that's strange. I watched him live at the hearings a few days ago. He seemed to give some of his answers in English...others in Japanese, through a translator.
Old 02-27-10, 05:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah...that's strange. I watched him live at the hearings a few days ago. He seemed to give some of his answers in English...others in Japanese, through a translator.
people to whom english is 2nd language probably would not speak it well under pressure.

CNN actually laughed at Toyoda's english ("stuttering english") when he spoke it in press conference earlier this month... after that, he spoke with translator in tow.
Old 02-27-10, 06:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://detnews.com/article/20100226/AUTO01/2260443

NHTSA will test runaway Toyota vehicle
David Shepardson / The Detroit News
Washington -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday it bought a 2006 Lexus at the heart of the debate over Toyota Motor Corp.'s sudden acceleration complaints.

On Friday, the agency said it had purchased the 2006 Lexus ES350 formerly owned by Rhonda and Eddie Smith of east Tennessee.

At a congressional hearing this week, the couple offered harrowing testimony of Rhonda Smith's sudden acceleration incident in 2006. They blasted both the government and Toyota for their handling of the incident, and the investigation of runaway vehicles.

The Smiths' car will be studied at the NHTSA Vehicle Research and Test Center in East Liberty, Ohio.

The car was traded in by The Smiths with 3,000 miles on it several years ago; NHTSA has now acquired it with approximately 30,000 miles on the odometer.

Rhonda Smith traded her vehicle in to a Toyota dealer and did not sell it to the individuals NHTSA acquired it from, the family said Friday.

"NHTSA will thoroughly examine the Smiths' car as we work to get to the bottom of possible causes for sudden acceleration," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Friday.

Rhonda Smith told a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee of the terror she felt Oct. 12, 2006, as she struggled to slow down her racing Lexus on a freeway. She repeatedly punched the stop/start ignition button. She stomped on the brakes. Feeling desperate, she said she called her husband. "I knew he could not help me but I wanted to hear his voice," she said, wiping away tears. Six miles down the road, she managed to regain control of the car.

"Shame on you, Toyota, for being so greedy," she testified.

But the cause of the incident is unclear, since it apparently has been trouble-free since then.

Toyota spokesman Ed Lewis said the company was looking forward to the tests.

"Toyota is pleased that we immediately located the 2006 Lexus ES350 formerly owned by Rhonda and Eddie Smith, as promised in our testimony this week before the House Energy and Commerce Committee," Lewis said. "We look forward to the results of the agency's independent analysis of the vehicle's electronic throttle control system."
Old 02-27-10, 07:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I saw that as well. I watched 3 hours of the hearings . I think the black lady who was questioning Mr Toyoda about the safety of her hybrid camary was a total *****. I wanted to smack her .
Old 02-27-10, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
people to whom english is 2nd language probably would not speak it well under pressure.

CNN actually laughed at Toyoda's english ("stuttering english") when he spoke it in press conference earlier this month... after that, he spoke with translator in tow.
Well, what do you think CNN's reaction would be if they listened to you or me try and speak Japanese? I couldn't speak....or write.....a single sentence.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-27-10 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 08:08 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a step back and think about the enormity of the situation. The is a congressional hearing for the whole public to see and one misunderstood question or misplaced remark due to language nuances would kill all credability of Akio Toyoda. The reason being is if he was to have said "that is not what I was intending to say" if someone was to take a remark and run with it ,they would crucify him. In my mind he did the only thing that could possibly be done here, he spoke to them in his own words and the Government, press and general public can only reply to them.

I understand how difficult it is to convey your feelings in another language when you speak is limited, b/c I have been through that when I was first learning Japanese.

However being a credited translator now, I did not like the way his words were translated. IMO he should have a native English speaker as his translator b/c the one at the hearing did not fully convey his emotion or his concern for this matter, to put it in a word , the translation was very "Japanese", which can come across very vague and uncaring.
Old 02-27-10, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

I understand how difficult it is to convey your feelings in another language when you speak is limited, b/c I have been through that when I was first learning Japanese.

However being a credited translator now, I did not like the way his words were translated. IMO he should have a native English speaker as his translator b/c the one at the hearing did not fully convey his emotion or his concern for this matter, to put it in a word , the translation was very "Japanese", which can come across very vague and uncaring.
So, then, by your post, we can assume that you are fluent enough in both English and Japanese that you can be an effective judge of the translator and her abilities? By the question, I'm not necessarily doubting your ability...if you are that knowledgeable, then fine.
Old 02-28-10, 12:31 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, then, by your post, we can assume that you are fluent enough in both English and Japanese that you can be an effective judge of the translator and her abilities? By the question, I'm not necessarily doubting your ability...if you are that knowledgeable, then fine.
Yes, you can assume that.

I want to point out that unless you have been exposed to 2 languages from early childhood, it is much easier to convey someones thoughts and feelings through translation into your own language, translating into your second language in much more difficult. You can see the translator was Japanese so she was translating into her second language and it is my opinion that he should have had an American translator translating Japanese to English for him.
Old 02-28-10, 08:49 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/28/r...le/2#c25837503

experts are anticipating Ford to gain the most from the toyota fiasco. Toyota at 12% marketshare, and ford to jump 9% to 14%. Damn, I thought Ford would bankrupt just 3 years ago.
Old 02-28-10, 08:58 AM
LexFather

Okay I thought the translator was horrid as well but I didn't want to bring it up. Glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way.

Ford stock ftw

Old 02-28-10, 11:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/28/r...le/2#c25837503

experts are anticipating Ford to gain the most from the toyota fiasco. Toyota at 12% marketshare, and ford to jump 9% to 14%. Damn, I thought Ford would bankrupt just 3 years ago.
seems like Ford is coming up faster than any other American car manufacturer

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology