Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 12:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
BECAUSE I HAVE AN OPINION AND YOU HAVE YOURS. You think this is a "dumbass" issue and want to draw the line in the sand. I'm telling you, no, I don't believe that's the case, and I also don't believe bringing up the continued "Toyota is hated everywhere and anywhere" line has much anything to do with this beyond questioning personal intention.

That's the problem - it hasn't been. I'm not saying anything, but you can't be definitive, and especially not from a keyboard.

Not sure what you're saying or think is "funny". It's my position that a brake switch cutoff for the DBW should be crucial to any electronic pedal implementation, end of story.
1. Watch your tone. No one is directing anything to you. You are defending the "dumbasses". You are taking some personal issue with the term "dumbass" when I know and now IntegraSS has reported "yes there are dumbasses involved with this issue".
2. You can't pick and chose posts to report as "bait" when there is no baiting. You are active in this thread, I am active in this thread. If you cannot debate without getting upset, maybe don't post.
3. This is another thread where we are talking about Toyota and somehow "German engineering" is brought in. Well I posted one recall on "German engineering" and the fuel lines can erupt.
4. The FACT is
a-Toyota was found NOT AT FAULT for the ES crash
b-The reported vehicles were found NOT to have Engine surges

Why this is now multiple pages is beyond me.

Old 11-06-09, 12:50 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Toyota and Lexus vehicles has been one of the most thoroughly and repeatedly investigated issues by Toyota, as well as by the engineering experts at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Six times in the past six years NHTSA has undertaken an exhaustive review of allegations of unintended acceleration on Toyota and Lexus vehicles and six times the agency closed the investigation without finding any electronic engine control system malfunction to be the cause of unintended acceleration."

Thank you.

Last edited by IS350jet; 11-06-09 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 01:30 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. Watch your tone. No one is directing anything to you. You are defending the "dumbasses". You are taking some personal issue with the term "dumbass" when I know and now IntegraSS has reported "yes there are dumbasses involved with this issue".
2. You can't pick and chose posts to report as "bait" when there is no baiting. You are active in this thread, I am active in this thread. If you cannot debate without getting upset, maybe don't post.
3. This is another thread where we are talking about Toyota and somehow "German engineering" is brought in. Well I posted one recall on "German engineering" and the fuel lines can erupt.
1. Sorry, I was using a tone that was EXACTLY the same as the one you purport.
2. Nobody is baiting and that is the first time that has been mentioned in this thread.
3. The point has been made, Toyota has no failsafe measure in their DBW electronic throttle system. End of story.

Maybe we should both leave this thread?
Old 11-06-09, 01:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
1. Sorry, I was using a tone that was EXACTLY the same as the one you purport.
2. Nobody is baiting and that is the first time that has been mentioned in this thread.
3. The point has been made, Toyota has no failsafe measure in their DBW electronic throttle system. End of story.

Maybe we should both leave this thread?
Again, leave the moderating to Moderators.

The point is.
1. Toyota was not found guilty of the ES accident
2. No "engine surge" issues were found

This "failsafe" measure is not needed as no issue was proven to be found.

So my original post was correct. Why is this 2 pages.

Old 11-06-09, 02:04 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be super honest with all this media blow up. Once a car crashes again after the dealers took each ES/Camry and zip tied the carpets to the chair (freaking pissed they did that to my new car but I understood), then we should all consider this case closed due to the floor mats, which was pretty much reported anyway. Unfortunately, there will always be those who cry, "software!" or whatnot just to discredit the company because that is not as easily fixable.
Old 11-09-09, 10:00 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Class action suit filed over Toyota recall

Redlands, California – A California law firm has filed a national class action lawsuit against Toyota Motor Corporation on behalf of Toyota and Lexus owners who said they have experienced incidents of sudden unintended acceleration.

The suit claims that several fatal crashes have resulted from the unintended acceleration, including that of a California Highway Patrol officer whose Lexus ES 350 was involved in a crash that also killed the officer’s wife, daughter and brother-in-law. The law firm said that more than 2,000 complaints have been determined from litigation and consumer-reported complaints to the automaker and to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Last month, Toyota launched a recall asking owners to remove floor mats from the vehicle, which it said were bunching up on the accelerator pedal and causing the acceleration.
Old 11-09-09, 10:53 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

not gonna go through considering the NHTSA has reported on 6 difference accounts that the ECM is fine. yawn

but still bad press is bad news

Last edited by RXSF; 11-09-09 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-09-09, 11:15 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Toyota will fix this and make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm sure Toyota will do what it takes to keep their position as number one and their repuation...
Old 11-10-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
not gonna go through considering the NHTSA has reported on 6 difference accounts that the ECM is fine. yawn

but still bad press is bad news
What does the NHTSA know about ECM programming?
Old 11-10-09, 08:07 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Cant tell whether or not that was a sarcastic comment but they do their independent testing to send electrical gremlins into the system to see if they can trick the ECM to WOT.

First, the question of unintended acceleration involving Toyota and Lexus vehicles has been one of the most thoroughly and repeatedly investigated issues by Toyota, as well as by the engineering experts at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Six times in the past six years NHTSA has undertaken an exhaustive review of allegations of unintended acceleration on Toyota and Lexus vehicles and six times the agency closed the investigation without finding any electronic engine control system malfunction to be the cause of unintended acceleration.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/o...t.aspx?id=2234
Old 11-10-09, 08:17 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 808 Likes on 564 Posts

I'll round that over 2k complaints to 3k and take just US Toyota sales for 2008 of 2,217,662 (from a Toyota press briefing). 3000 / 2,217,662 * 100 = 0.135% of vehicles have this problem. Now add in the fact that the recall goes back to 2003 and that is tens of millions more. Add in global sales and there are tens of millions of more essentially making these "reported cases" a little less than a blip. I'll take user error and incorrectly installed mats for $1000 Alex.
Old 11-10-09, 08:21 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is stupid. is you cant notice your floor mats riding up then your a dumbass....
Old 11-10-09, 08:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Cant tell whether or not that was a sarcastic comment but they do their independent testing to send electrical gremlins into the system to see if they can trick the ECM to WOT.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/o...t.aspx?id=2234
When was the last time the NHTSA found any ECU problem with sudden accelaration by any car manufacturer. If your computer crashed once and works again when you reboot it, do you think you can find the problem 100% of the time why it crash? The percentage of incident might be small, but try to tell that to the state trooper in Calif. who is dead.
Old 11-10-09, 08:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'll round that over 2k complaints to 3k and take just US Toyota sales for 2008 of 2,217,662 (from a Toyota press briefing). 3000 / 2,217,662 * 100 = 0.135% of vehicles have this problem. Now add in the fact that the recall goes back to 2003 and that is tens of millions more. Add in global sales and there are tens of millions of more essentially making these "reported cases" a little less than a blip. I'll take user error and incorrectly installed mats for $1000 Alex.
I believe the numbers are much lower than those numbers.People are just trying to cash in after a tragedy.
The guy that just was killed was a trained police officer who somehow didn't put the ES in neutral.
Old 11-10-09, 09:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
When was the last time the NHTSA found any ECU problem with sudden accelaration by any car manufacturer. If your computer crashed once and works again when you reboot it, do you think you can find the problem 100% of the time why it crash? The percentage of incident might be small, but try to tell that to the state trooper in Calif. who is dead.
Again, the NHTSA found no issues with "sudden acceleration". We can speculate all we want, no problem was found.

Not sure why you want to bring up the state trooper as we have had various threads on it. Why didn't he put the vehicle in NEUTRAL???Toyota was found NOT AT FAULT in his death. The issue was the WRONG FLOOR MATS were IN HIS ES 350 LOANER by the Lexus dealership. That was determined as the CAUSE of the accident.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology