Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 04:28 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
our WORTHLESS driving 'test' and lack of retesting when people hit social security age is bringing the inevitable results.

of course it's not the driver's faults, let's sue car makers.
100% agree Bit. The media and the gov. just open a can of worms.

Run the red light: Hey, my brake fail to stop, not me.

Illegal lane change caused the accident: My steering fail.

Following too close and rear end another car" My gas pedal and brake fail.

Now, any car makers can get sue,not just Toyota, just wait. We can blame about anything on the car if we get into the wreck. Cell phone, texting, DVD system and alcohol has nothing to do with it.
Old 03-05-10, 04:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Again,I agree.
Reveal the box contents.
Hiding the info from the black box just makes Toyota look bad and that's the last thing they need right now.
One,two...five seconds,I don't care.Make the data public.
black boxes show only 1-2 seconds of data before the crash... thats why they dont show anything useful to these incidents. Toyota has given black box data previously when asked by court. Toyota is going to have >hundred black box readers next month in the USA.

But you will still not be able see more than 2 seconds of data before airbag deployment. Thats how black boxes work.
Old 03-05-10, 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

p.s. i am quite sure black box data was among 50,000 pages subpoenaed by congress... and nothing came out.
Old 03-05-10, 04:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
black boxes show only 1-2 seconds of data before the crash... that's why they dont show anything useful to these incidents. Toyota has given black box data previously when asked by court. Toyota is going to have >hundred black box readers next month in the USA.

But you will still not be able see more than 2 seconds of data before airbag deployment. That's how black boxes work.
More reason to let others read the data.

Better than being so secretive and giving the media more ammo.
Old 03-05-10, 07:54 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I'm new here. Anyway, I found it in jalopnik.com. Hope it helps.

http://gawker.com/5486865/abc-news-toyota-test-fiasco
Old 03-05-10, 09:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

already posted in #912. I cant believe I didnt notice the gauges when I first saw the vid. What a joke of investigative journalism
Old 03-05-10, 10:17 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
already posted in #912. I cant believe I didnt notice the gauges when I first saw the vid. What a joke of investigative journalism
Oh gosh, one step behind. Haha
Anyway, That guy sucks hard. Does he thinks people watch his program are jokes?
Old 03-06-10, 01:29 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree.
Sure looks like Toyota is hiding something.
Or, perhaps they are protecting people's privacy ?

Does anyone here even realize what would happen if the Toyota black box data was made freely available to anyone who wanted it?

It would destroy any privacy Toyota owners have, and it would open up a pandora's box of potential liability and frivolous lawsuits against Toyota owners, and Toyota itself.

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Agreed. Except in Toyota's current situation, everything should be put out in the open that people think could help find answers. Making any recordings from the black box unavailable to anyone but themselves is a big PR blunder.

Like I said, all of the thousands of complaints from all makes over decades (yup, before electronic throttles) seems evident that these incidences are driver error.
Again,I agree.
Reveal the box contents.
Hiding the info from the black box just makes Toyota look bad and that's the last thing they need right now.
One,two...five seconds,I don't care.Make the data public.
It doesn't matter; even if Toyota DID make the black box data public, it wouldn't help Toyota.

This is a witch hunt. Toyota will be portrayed as hiding something, or being at fault no matter what they do.

If Toyota reveals the black box data, the media and government will simply find something else to blame, and claim Toyota is withholding other information or hiding something else.

After the black box data, what's next? Is the media and govt going to demand for Toyota to completely open up their ECU codes?

Will they demand that Toyota publicly reveal all R&D activities, to make sure they aren't "hiding anything"?

It will never end.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The only thing that can save toyota is the media worry about something else.....

-Lochness Monster found
-Britt Spears in playgirl
-Tiger Woods gets hit by CTS-V by wife
-natural disaster here
-Willie Nelson the new drug kingpin of Columbia
-add yours here
Exactly! Toyota cannot do anything to help the situation at this point. They simply have to ride out the witch hunt, and do their best to maintain customer loyalty and satisfaction.
Old 03-06-10, 02:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

this whole thing reminds me of the whole Ford Explorer / Firestone recall...

the tires that were installed on Ford Explorers actually had an amazing track record, with some of the lowest defect percentages of any manufacturer at the time... What was truly happening was that people weren't checking tire pressures and loading down vehicles, putting undue stress on the tires...

so, except for maybe one or two cases, the NHTSA went back and found that almost every single failure was attributable to lack of maintenance...

but look at how much money Firestone had to pay out... ridiculous...
Old 03-06-10, 06:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Does anyone here even realize what would happen if the Toyota black box data was made freely available to anyone who wanted it?

It would destroy any privacy Toyota owners have, and it would open up a pandora's box of potential liability and frivolous lawsuits against Toyota owners, and Toyota itself.
GM's black box data is available to anybody who wants it. Their readers are commercially available and can be downloaded to any computer to be read by anyone. I don't see GM having issues with this.
Old 03-06-10, 06:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
GM's black box data is available to anybody who wants it. Their readers are commercially available and can be downloaded to any computer to be read by anyone. I don't see GM having issues with this.
Old 03-06-10, 06:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

the tires that were installed on Ford Explorers actually had an amazing track record, with some of the lowest defect percentages of any manufacturer at the time... What was truly happening was that people weren't checking tire pressures and loading down vehicles, putting undue stress on the tires...

so, except for maybe one or two cases, the NHTSA went back and found that almost every single failure was attributable to lack of maintenance...

ford lowered the recommended psi from 28 to 25 because people complained about bad ride quality. WTF 25 psi on an SUV? My IS tires are 35/37 psi. No wonder the tread got wrecked on those explorers.
Old 03-06-10, 06:40 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ford lowered the recommended psi from 28 to 25 because people complained about bad ride quality. WTF 25 psi on an SUV? My IS tires are 35/37 psi. No wonder the tread got wrecked on those explorers.
As I also mentioned earlier in the post, FoMoCo wanted the tires to be quieter so they reinforced the sidewalls with softer materials (for an SUV)=NO NO!!!!
Old 03-06-10, 06:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4Th Nguyen
and most vehicles on the road have tires that are underinflated.So that 25 may be 20.
Old 03-06-10, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

excellent post. wasn't just firestone that paid out, of course ford got clobbered. the upside - my 2 fords came with quality michelins.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is a witch hunt. Toyota will be portrayed as hiding something, or being at fault no matter what they do.
the late night talk shows are relentless (leno, letterman) with the toyota jokes. they're lame jokes, but they just keep pounding.

It will never end.
yes it will. audi still sells cars. ford still sells cars...

Toyota cannot do anything to help the situation at this point. They simply have to ride out the witch hunt, and do their best to maintain customer loyalty and satisfaction.
i 100% disagree. they have chosen to do very little from a PR standpoint except keep saying "sorry" and "but we have a good record". weaksauce.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology