Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the late night talk shows are relentless (leno, letterman) with the toyota jokes. they're lame jokes, but they just keep pounding.
Letterman, I can understand......he doesn't know any better than to make often-unfair jokes. But Leno, that's another story. Leno is a true car buff, knows his stuff, and has one of the world's most famous individually-owned car collections.
Old 03-06-10, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
this whole thing reminds me of the whole Ford Explorer / Firestone recall...

so, except for maybe one or two cases, the NHTSA went back and found that almost every single failure was attributable to lack of maintenance...
While technically true, it was more than just general lack of maintenance. Ford and Firestone couldn't agree on proper PSIs, because of customer ride-quality complaints (never mind the fact that the Explorer was based on a full-frame truck, and you couldn't reasonably expect a Camry ride). And most (not all) of the reported failures happened on sun-heated roads in the South and Southwest, and in desert areas, which added a lot of heat to the tires and hastened their failure.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-06-10, 08:55 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le+Feedfetcher
Old 03-06-10, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

(per our rules - please don't post links without some idea of what the link is to - thank you)

all - the article (truncated? ) is about toyota planning to fight back at its critics.

'bout time!
Old 03-06-10, 04:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The hits just keep on coming

http://www.toyotasimulator.com/
Old 03-06-10, 04:25 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way that guy screamed was hilarious.
Old 03-06-10, 04:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal
The way that guy screamed was hilarious.
yeah,I agree.
Old 03-06-10, 05:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
More reason to let others read the data.

Better than being so secretive and giving the media more ammo.
you dont seem to get it - they will have >100 black box readers in the USA within a MONTH. You will be able to get the data, or court will...

and Court has always been able to get the data... At congress hearings, they were able to get all the data they have requested.

Toyota can NOT deny any proper legal claims for the data. They just never made it "public", and now they are shipping >100 of them within a month so they can.

Once data is being made commercially, expect insurance companies to use them against you at court. Hey you damaged your car? Well black box says you were driving ABOVE speed limit... claim denied.... Hey you did not wear seat belt and you got into accident? No insurance for you.

What will happen when everyone reads the data? Nothing, because it will not be useful to the media. You think Toyota would be shipping >100 units ASAP to the USA if thats not true? I doubt it.

And lastly, only american companies have open black box data.. it is not an law. Toyota didnt because it contains some proprietary software... They now said they will move to open black boxes by the end of 2011, before law mandates, and sooner than many other manufacturers.

But once again, articles make it sound as if Toyota did not allow black box data to anyone... thats just not possible. Any court could subpoena them for the documents, and Toyota said it themselves they already did (of course, this is USA). Toyota does not have any power to deny those claims.
Old 03-06-10, 05:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

p.s. i would think the reason Toyota was not outspoken about many things until this week, when they went out with info ASAP was that (among other things), they probably did complete engineering investigation of everything to make sure they can legally claim what they want to claim now.
Old 03-06-10, 06:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

and most vehicles on the road have tires that are underinflated.So that 25 may be 20.
there is the true source of the issue... imagine this...

you don't ever check the air in your tires, and on average, a tire loses 1 psi per month... maybe it's been since your last tire rotation that the tire pressure was checked, assuming you even rotate your tires to start... so, 6 months go by since the tire rotation, and no one has checked the air pressure since then.. say you start with 25 psi, as recommended per the manufacturer... if you look at the specs on the tires, you will see that 25 psi is enough air pressure to support the full GVWR of the vehicle, which includes any trailer tongue loads and people/luggage... so, 6 months has now gone by, and the tires are now sitting at 19 psi, or maybe even lower in one or two... so, what happens? you stress the tire time and time again putting so much heat into it that it starts to come apart... it doesn't get the typical runflat bead or tear mid-sidewall, because it has enough air to not really put the tire on the ground, but just enough to get it to look ok, yet absorb some serious heat... heat is what kills tires... it also makes tires... the layers in a tire are not glued together, they are vulcanized, meaning, heat activates the layers to stick together... heat also takes them apart, unfortunately...

so, back to where we were... underinflated tires, extra heat from the underinflation, most had extra heat from hot roads and weather conditions, vehicle completely loaded with the family, 2 dogs, trailer and whatever else you can jam in there, which means its probably overloaded or close to it... then, the inevitable happens... a tire comes apart... this happens with every tire on the market, to a small percentage at least... now, you have a top heavy, overloaded vehicle without 1 of its 4 surfaces on the road, then add to that that most people don't know how to handle a blowout, and you have your Ford Explorer flipping down the interstate at 70 mph... Oh, one more thing... The original Explorer was built on the original Bronco II chassis, but seating area and floorboards were higher, which means a higher center of gravity. Ford knew this, but, instead of lowering the engine 2" as was proposed by one engineer, they decided to leave it as is to prevent having to retool some equipment, and that people would be fine...

It was a few small problems exacerbated by stupid people, the exact same thing as is happening to Toyota right now...
Old 03-06-10, 06:50 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As a tech for 20 years, 7 years with Toyota from 1990 -1997 and with Lexus from 1997-now. I can say that Toyota takes thing seriously when it comes to safety.
In the mid 2003 I did a pre delivery inspection on the RX330 and I noticed a strange brake noise during the test drive of a new RX330, just a weird thumbing noise,but the brake system function normally. I reported this to the manager and he called Lexus. A week later they send out 6 engineers( 4 Japanese and 2 Americans) from Torrance, CA to GA and test drive the vehicle. I'd spend 6 hours with them from test drive, inspected brake system, removed brake actuator and so on. A few months later they did the recall on the brake booster. I don't know it's me or not...lol.

I test drive about 5-10 cars a day, between 1-5 miles per car for both customer cars and new cars, or roughly about 7 cars per day x 240 working days per years = 1680 cars each years. You can time that by 20 years I've been work for Toyota and Lexus and I've never feel any of the SUA on those cars. Believe me if the SUA happened I won't be here right now.

I have to drive those cars with minimum adjustment to suit my driving because it's customer car and I'm not allowed to adjust anything but the seat position.some customer never set the seat memory. Sometimes I have to drive with pillow on the seat, plastic wood grain steering cover, looking at photo album on the combination meter, factory floor mat wrapped with plastic wrap+ on top of clear floor mat+ on top of beach towel, yes sir people put about 3-4 protections on top of the factory floor mat. It's unbelievable how much people get so hyped up with their cars. I have to test drive those cars for wind noise,rattle or any complaint with scan tool hooked up to the car while I'm driving. It's not a fun job,but zero, yes zero accident in the past 20 years...knock on wood. I've never feel any dangerous when test drive those cars and never lost any sleep when I'm return the cars to the customers.

My mom drive Toyota Camary, my brother drive Scion tC, my wife drive IS350 and I drive 4Runner.Yes, after test drive over 30,000 Toyota and Lexus cars in the past 20 years. I can say I love my Toyota and Lexus. I told my mom and my wife just watch out for another driver.

Last edited by VVT-i; 03-06-10 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 09:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the laugh. That was hilarious.
Old 03-06-10, 11:06 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
. A week later they send out 6 engineers( 4 Japanese and 2 Americans) from Torrance, CA to GA and test drive the vehicle. I'd spend 6 hours with them from test drive, inspected brake system, removed brake actuator and so on. A few months later they did the recall on the brake booster. I don't know it's me or not...lol.
r.
We have a guy who works as an engineer at Ford that ships parts at my store at all the time. He routinely ships parts to Detroit after he tests them, he gets the parts that were from a crash or from a dealer (when they are replaced), he has them shipped for Saturday delivery as the engineers at Ford in Detroit work 7 days a week testing parts. Every car companies take safety seriously. its not just Toyota.
Old 03-07-10, 01:14 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
black boxes show only 1-2 seconds of data before the crash... thats why they dont show anything useful to these incidents. Toyota has given black box data previously when asked by court. Toyota is going to have >hundred black box readers next month in the USA.

But you will still not be able see more than 2 seconds of data before airbag deployment. Thats how black boxes work.
Most manufactures show 15-20 seconds before, Toyota does not.
Old 03-07-10, 05:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Once data is being made commercially, expect insurance companies to use them against you at court. Hey you damaged your car? Well black box says you were driving ABOVE speed limit... claim denied.... Hey you did not wear seat belt and you got into accident? No insurance for you.
That would be against the law. Your insurance would pay the claim because that's what you pay them for. It doesn't matter how you wreck your car or how stupid you are.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology