Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 09:32 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, this just keeps getting better! It has been reported over on Prius chat that Mr. James Sikes has filed two previous false burglary reports.
Old 03-10-10, 10:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here's a demonstration done by a Prius owner shortly after the stupid San Diego incident. This demo shows that Sikes guy a complete fraud:

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/9...video/11407344

This gives me an idea...I should do this on the RX450h sometime soon.
I was about to post that... everyone should check this video out and explains how with Prius, it is very east to stop the car.

- smart pedals will disable gas input when you are braking
- when the car is in neutral, electronics will not let it rev at all... so your gas pedal might be to the floor, engine will be at 600 rpm.
Old 03-10-10, 10:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

NSFW for language, sorta vulgar, but hilarious. And it has a demonstration with the 2010 prius

2010 Toyota Prius brake problems. Easy fix, amazing documentry
Old 03-10-10, 10:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

toyota need to step in and be on the offense and counter-sue all these opportunists for fraud and for defamation of character
Old 03-10-10, 10:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
NSFW for language, sorta vulgar, but hilarious. And it has a demonstration with the 2010 prius

2010 Toyota Prius brake problems. Easy fix, amazing documentry
but you know, 10 different safety systems in brakes, throttle and transmission, completly independent, could all fail in the same second to the point that thats not possible... and all of them will work when investigator tries it.

or person in the car will not even attempt to turn it off or shift it into neutral, because they are scarred that car will...explode ;-)
Old 03-10-10, 10:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Widens

WASHINGTON – Toyota said Tuesday it will expand a recall announced last year to fix Tundra pickup trucks with frames that could rust and lead to spare tires falling from the vehicle.

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said the recall will cover Tundra pickups from the 2000-2003 model years in all 50 states. It would broaden a recall announced in November that covered 110,000 trucks in 20 "cold weather" states and the District of Columbia.

Lyons said dealers were notified of the expanded recall Tuesday but he did not immediately know how many additional trucks would be covered. He said Toyota would provide more details.

Toyota has recalled more than 8 million cars and trucks worldwide to address gas pedals and floor mats that can cause the accelerator to become stuck in the depressed position. Federal regulators have linked 52 deaths to crashes allegedly caused by the accelerator problems.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into excessive rust on Tundra frames in October after receiving 20 complaints of "severe frame corrosion."

NHTSA said then it had received 15 reports alleging the spare tire, stowed under the truck bed, separated from the frame. Five other reports alleged broken brake lines because of the rust. It urged owners to remove the spare tire from the frame, concerned it could fall onto the road and create a road hazard.

When the limited recall was announced last year, Toyota said it would ask dealers to inspect the frame's rear cross-member. If the inspection found the frame could no longer safely support the spare tire, the cross-member assembly would be replaced.

Toyota had said it was recalling the trucks in the cold weather states because road salts and chemical deicers typically used to treat roads during the winter could cause additional corrosion in the trucks.

The states originally covered by the recall are: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

The Transportation Department had no immediate comment on the expanded recall.
Old 03-10-10, 10:34 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sykes needs to go to prison. Hopefully this fraud will be thoroughly reported. The public needs to see what's going on.
Old 03-10-10, 10:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Sykes needs to go to prison. Hopefully this fraud will be thoroughly reported. The public needs to see what's going on.
Whether he's lying or not,he should be investigated.Polygraphed!
That would stop potential frauds from trying to capitalize in some way on Toyota's so called problems.
Old 03-10-10, 10:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Tundra recall now!WTF!
Toyota is in deep do-do.
Things just keep getting worse and worse.
I read in my loacal paper today that resale values are taking a hit too.Some dealers don't want ?toyota product trades at all unless they can steal them.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-10-10 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 10:47 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those dealerships are being opportunists. They know that they'll be able to get a lot for those trade ins later on when this blows over and Toyotas are shown to be safe again.
Old 03-10-10, 10:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
Those dealerships are being opportunists. They know that they'll be able to get a lot for those trade ins later on when this blows over and Toyotas are shown to be safe again.
The trouble is those trade ins may be a lot older by the time Toyota gets out of this funk.
Old 03-10-10, 12:33 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He'll get the truth...
Old 03-10-10, 12:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...opCHP-86965487.

Putting Runaway Prius in Neutral Didn't Work: CHP

Source: Putting Runaway Prius in Neutral Didn't Work: CHP | NBC San Diego

Yet,if you listen to the 911 tape,the guy doesn't seem to put the car in nuetral when told to.
I bet he did later when he slowed down.
Afterall,his brakes were said to be burnt.
Old 03-10-10, 12:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw a patient today who stated that because she is pregnant her husband traded her Prius for a civic hybrid to be totally safe. I can respect that. I wouldnt take a chance with my wife and our unborn child . My wifes in an Acura TL so no need to worry about recall drama

Bottom line Toyota is screwed. We all thought this was going to blow over soon and it just keeps getting worse.God help them if Lexus is affected
Old 03-10-10, 01:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I saw a patient today who stated that because she is pregnant her husband traded her Prius for a civic hybrid to be totally safe. I can respect that. I wouldnt take a chance with my wife and our unborn child . My wifes in an Acura TL so no need to worry about recall drama

Bottom line Toyota is screwed. We all thought this was going to blow over soon and it just keeps getting worse.God help them if Lexus is affected
Their loss. Since these issues are driver error, she still has the same chance of losing control. People really need to educate themselves.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology