Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 08:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I saw a patient today who stated that because she is pregnant her husband traded her Prius for a civic hybrid to be totally safe. I can respect that. I wouldnt take a chance with my wife and our unborn child . My wifes in an Acura TL so no need to worry about recall drama

Bottom line Toyota is screwed. We all thought this was going to blow over soon and it just keeps getting worse.God help them if Lexus is affected
Bottom line, another victim of media hysteria. Toyota isn't screwed. Mass media highlights the negatives and people tend to stick with that regardless of true fact. Those who sold their Toyota due to the recent recalls screwed themselves out of what they have already invested (down payment, interest and etc).
Old 03-11-10, 04:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would gladly take Jim Sikes Toyota Prius and drive it Down Pikes Peke with my entire family on board. That's how confident I am that these issues are complete hogwash.
Old 03-11-10, 05:23 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This whole mess is probably nothing more than informational war. The media is used here as a weapon. Someone I guess is trying to hurt Toyota for god knows what reason.
Old 03-11-10, 05:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I would gladly take Jim Sikes Toyota Prius and drive it Down Pikes Peke with my entire family on board. That's how confident I am that these issues are complete hogwash.
lol x2!!!!

Old 03-11-10, 06:15 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

front page of cnn today "Toyota's whistle blower"

people are coming out in full farce

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2010...n_bin&hpt=Sbin
Old 03-11-10, 06:36 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It’s really sad to see all this snowball from what should've been two simple, but ill-timed, recalls. Toyota has really tripped itself up, falling into the perfect storm here, and though I don't believe there is any significant fault on their part, I do believe their PR has been a disaster.

Though it’s not at all new, it's sad to see just how easily the American public is manipulated, to the point where they literally reinforce the concept of perception becoming reality. If only these people had the same motivation to better inform themselves, we'd be in a much better situation, today. Driving has become far too passive an activity, and there has been next to no legislation pushed to address this very real issue; instead, toleration of poor driver habits becomes entertained, by instead forcing such mechanisms as stability control and tire pressure sensors on all cars, by way of the car makes. This isn't a proper substitute for an attentive/informed driver.

As pilots of these vehicles, it’s a shame there is no significant demand for better/relevant training, especially when a true fix for these issues should also involve a reevaluation of license testing (including retesting), and education on vehicle function, alongside any demands for auto-makes to address safety. This growing idea that driving is the best time to multi-task or handle other business, as opposed to staying focused and responsible, is the real root of the problem. Couple this with simply bad judgment on part of many drivers (more difficult to fix), and its a situation that’s only going to get worse.

This problem is bigger than Toyota...they, by themselves, can't change the American consciousness.
Old 03-11-10, 06:52 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Same here. I'd even do it with a bomb on board set to explode if the car speed passed 55mph.
Old 03-11-10, 08:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Hate to say it, but most of our American society are followers. Monkey see, monkey do.
Old 03-11-10, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hate to say it, but most of our American society are followers. Monkey see, monkey do.
Sadly that has become the American way so often.
Old 03-11-10, 09:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
front page of cnn today "Toyota's whistle blower"

people are coming out in full farce

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2010...n_bin&hpt=Sbin
thats the same guy that has been discreedited by congress lol... It wont stop CNN. lo.l
Old 03-11-10, 09:56 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Agreed...sheeple??...when the media go tells the public to get a swine flue shot everyone and their whole family goes and does it...people need to think for themselves and don't believe everything your hear and believe half of what you see...
Old 03-11-10, 10:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think these UA 'victims' see dead people too.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I listened to Sike's entire 20+ minute 911 call, what a freaking joke. Hes an idiot
where is it?

Last edited by bagwell; 03-11-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-11-10, 10:01 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Takes too much effort to process and verify information. Listening to the talking heads on the TV is much simpler
Old 03-11-10, 10:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Takes too much effort to process and verify information. Listening to the talking heads on the TV is much simpler
24 hour news channels need air time fill too.
They love to run and sensationalize stories.
Old 03-11-10, 10:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I saw a patient today who stated that because she is pregnant her husband traded her Prius for a civic hybrid to be totally safe. I can respect that. I wouldnt take a chance with my wife and our unborn child . My wifes in an Acura TL so no need to worry about recall drama
oh no.
As a matter of fact, for the sake of her unborn child, a hybrid might not be that safe at all considering the electromagnetic energy emitted causing a disruption to the developing fetal cell

She should've gone for a minivan like I did

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology