Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 04:25 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2 days ago I asserted I believed the Prius driver in California was an opportunist.

There is now some evidence to support my assertion. I hope they crucify this guy very publicly.

From Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/5491101/did-bank...d-acceleration

James Sikes, the San Diego runaway Toyota Prius driver, filed for bankruptcy in 2008 and now has over $700,000 in debt. According to one anonymous tipster, we're also told he hasn't been making payments on his Prius.

We received an email earlier today from an anonymous tipster who claims James (Jim) Sikes, the driver of the runaway Toyota Prius, was in financial trouble and even behind by five months on his payments for the Prius. If that's true, it's potential motivation for wanting to find an out — any out — on paying for the vehicle.

We did some public records searches (thanks to the help of Gawker's John Cook) and found Sikes and his wife Patty found themselves, like many in the California real estate business, on the bursting side of the real estate bubble last year. The two declared bankruptcy in June of 2008 and have a combined liability of over $700,000 dollars in debt.

Among the list of creditors holding secured claims is none other than Toyota Financial Services for a lease on a 2008 Toyota Prius with 7,200 miles on the odometer. Total value of the lease at the time of bankruptcy was $20,494.

So, with almost three-quarter million dollars in debt there's obviously the potential for financial motivation here. But, for his part, when we questioned Mr. Sikes over email earlier today, he denied being behind on his Prius payments.

Mr. Sikes also has not shied away from cameras appearing on CNN and numerous other television programs. In each, he's stated numerous times he's not going to sue and isn't looking for any financial remuneration from Toyota other than a new vehicle.

We've asked the law firm representing him to furnish us with an up-to-date copy of his Toyota statement and we'll post that as soon as we receive it — to either debunk this myth or add fuel to any fire.

We'd also like to point out Toyota itself sent out a tweet yesterday showing how a Prius of that generation can easily be stopped if it's accelerating out of control. But, for the moment, we'll ask you to again listen to the full 911 tape and tell us what you think — does that sound like a man faking or genuinely afraid for his life?

But regardless of what happens with the Sikes case, the bigger issue for Toyota will be every cash-strapped 'yota-owner looking for an easy out on their loans and leases potentially thinking about doing just this with their car. That's a lot of potential carnage to wade through.
Old 03-11-10, 05:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great article shinobi-x. Thanks!
Old 03-11-10, 06:24 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batman75
Mr. Sikes also has not shied away from cameras appearing on CNN and numerous other television programs. In each, he's stated numerous times he's not going to sue and isn't looking for any financial remuneration from Toyota other than a new vehicle.
Mr James Sikes is a LIAR with a capital L. He says that now, but, rest assured, he will be suing Toyota in the very near future. (unless, of course, he's arrested for fraud)
Old 03-11-10, 06:26 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Mr James Sikes is a LIAR with a capital L. He says that now, but, rest assured, he will be suing Toyota in the very near future. (unless, of course, he's arrested for fraud)
If he doesn't make money from suing Toyota, he's doing it for payouts from the media.
Old 03-11-10, 08:08 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He'll quickly find himself riding in one of these, with Bubba as his "passenger" -
http://www.mcicoach.com/NewCoaches/P...blicPrison.htm
Old 03-11-10, 08:38 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Reminds me of when Kobe's accuser kept saying it wasn't about the money, she didn't want any money, etc. When money changed hands - poof - she disappears.
Old 03-11-10, 11:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
This whole mess is probably nothing more than informational war. The media is used here as a weapon. Someone I guess is trying to hurt Toyota for god knows what reason.
The reasons are actually pretty obvious when you look at the big picture of the auto industry and the state that some competitors are in.

Originally Posted by whoster
so fellas,

how much longer do you think this debacle will go on?

ABC News has admitted to foul play, the NHTSA has long stated there's no real problem...

Provided that Toyota will complete the recalls regardless of the matter, I've been thinking how long it will be before the mainstream media stop this witch hunt.

With the headlining act of ABC admitting to fault, will the other conglomerates have much reason to fill the gap, or just gradually phase this "issue" out of the public's eyes and ears?
I predict that once March sales are in, and the news spreads of Toyota's (predicted) big increase in sales, media will have no choice but to report the increased Toyota sales, which will make people feel less panicked as they realize lots of people are still buying Toyotas.

The congressional hearings are over, and Toyota has already burned "Dr. Gilbert's" credibility, not to mention the credibility of many news stories. Once Exponent's thorough investigation comes out and proves there is nothing wrong with Toyota's electronics, I think the witch hunt will gradily wind down.

I think by early April the witch hunt should be slowing down.

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
A nice article to offer some perspective, with regard to the psychology behind the phenomenon of UA:
Great article, I really like this quote, and I think this should be stickied somewhere:

What the smart pedal may do, however, is finally give us a sense of whether sudden acceleration tends to stem from operator error. If the reports of acceleration continue (and the smart pedals work properly), then there will be nothing and no one left to blame but the driver.
I think this is the case with the recent reports right now. Even with cars that have had the smart pedal system installed, mats changed, and pedals changed, in those cases if people still report "unintended acceleration" (and everything is working properly) then they are flat out WRONG. That mean it is intended acceleration that is occurring and people have no idea they are pressing the WRONG pedals.
Old 03-11-10, 11:37 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

He's a complete dirt bag, and Liar

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,4677651.story

1min14sec in "I just want help with a new vehicle, I lost my Toyota" - I instantly though ok so he wants a new - Free Toyota, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to sue and get money as well.

I hope the probe uncovers his fraud and this guy gets what's coming to him.
Old 03-12-10, 04:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how to stop a prius
NOT WORK SAFE LANGUAGE - bitkahuna

if this is a repost, i apologize. click the link and enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4Pt...layer_embedded

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-12-10 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-12-10, 04:58 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 19psi
OMG!! I love that guy!! Tell'n it like it is. No BS. Reality at it's best! He should have showed where the brake pedal was.
Old 03-12-10, 05:33 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

CLASSIC! Thank you!

(Language warning)
Old 03-12-10, 05:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea I saw this video, it came from a guy on the M4 carbine forum. Hes getting 40 f-bombs per gallon
Old 03-12-10, 06:15 AM
LexFather

how to stop a prius
NOT WORK SAFE LANGUAGE - bitkahuna

OMG hahahaha..

"yes I'm using my middle finger to press the button so you can go f yourself"

Old 03-12-10, 06:44 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
OMG hahahaha..

"yes I'm using my middle finger to press the button so you can go f yourself"
How about one of his comments to people who made some comments. LOL

gasitman (1 day ago)
By the way, I am not angry, this is made as a joke, but seriously, if you can not stop your car, don't drive on the road, plain and simple. And if you can not take a joke, then go **** yourself and the horse you rode in on. And take the bus!
Old 03-12-10, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
How about one of his comments to people who made some comments. LOL
hahahahaha

Look a lady made a video.....(lol at her screaming at the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_03...layer_embedded

Seriously if you cannot figure out how to put a car in Neutral and slow it down...

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology