Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 08:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A post from the ES 350 forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAndrew7

Step One Keep floor mats installed properly

***In the event of some kind of runaway situation.....

Step Two Gently push the trans up one notch into neutral (or two if in manual)

Step Three Start braking firmly but in a controlled manner

Step Four Hold the starter button for several seconds while slowing

Step Five Bring the car to a stop safely off the road.

I don't know why that cop that was killed or others who claim they had the problem couldn't go up one notch to neutral.
Ok,people panick but a cop of all people should have had that situation under control.
well what the g man is doing is posting info from product liability sites that are run by ... lawyers :-). So obviously, they have vested interest in seeing this go to court and Toyota paying money.

In fact, one of those suits (mentioned in this thread too), wrongly alleges how you can not simply go into neutral in Lexus/Toyota, but that you have to push gear lever to the right and then up, which is actually just wrong ;-).

I have yet to see any Toyota/Lexus vehicle that does not have single flick up to go to Neutral. What they did is based the lawsuit on picture from the website which they wrongly interpeted. How silly is that? :-)
Old 11-16-09, 09:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BRADSGS4
So what your saying is a Lexus dealer (not LEXUS) put the wrong floor mat in a car and caused a loaner to have a issue. And people stacking floor mats 1,2,3 deep on the floor on any car is stupid and a bad idea. Sounds like Lexus themselves did nothing wrong at all. A person at a dealer(loaner car manager????tech?????) put the wrong floor mat in a car. People have had problems with pedals sticking for years on all car brands because they put lot's of floor mats in there cars on top of one another or don/t clip them in. Sounds like some personal responsibility needs to happen here not LEXUS at all. What are they going to recall a dumb people guide about how to use common knowledge. What happened is bad but not the fault of Lexus. Just a poor install by a employee at (a) dealer. People doing dumb stuff like they always have,do and always will that is where the lawyers come in. They protect dumb people from being dumb!

Stop making sense here and stop posting facts!!! No, we should all sell our rolling deathtraps!!!

Old 11-16-09, 10:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
toyota never had drive-by-wire issues, unlike germans.
If you can prove that, Toyota will make you a very rich man. Drive by wire system is like any other computer control system, to say they never have issues is just talking from lack of knowledge about all things electronics.
Old 11-16-09, 10:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you can prove that, Toyota will make you a very rich man. Drive by wire system is like any other computer control system, to say they never have issues is just talking from lack of knowledge about all things electronics.
Mercedes New Type Bosch Drive-By-Wire Throttle Body Failing

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp..._throttle_body

The new type Mercedes Bosch throttle bodies are starting to fail. Common problems will be
rough idling, lack of power and/or driving problems with different pedal positions (due to faulty
TPS). Cruise control can often fail to operate.

Fitted to Mercedes cars '98 onwards C / E / CLK / SLK Class.

Old 11-16-09, 10:54 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how the acceleration occurs?
I found the Gas and Brake paddles on my 2004 GS to be little too close.

When stopping, sometimes my feet would also hit the gas as I applied brakes.
Old 11-16-09, 11:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mercedes New Type Bosch Drive-By-Wire Throttle Body Failing

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp..._throttle_body

The new type Mercedes Bosch throttle bodies are starting to fail. Common problems will be
rough idling, lack of power and/or driving problems with different pedal positions (due to faulty
TPS). Cruise control can often fail to operate.

Fitted to Mercedes cars '98 onwards C / E / CLK / SLK Class.
Thank you for proving my point, any drive by wire system can fail. To think that Toyota is any different is just blind loyalty. The key to a good design to make sure it fails in a failsafe stop or limp mode position, not in the wide open throttle position.
Old 11-16-09, 11:27 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this happen at least twice with my 2001 IS300. I bought the car new in the summer of 2000. This first model year car also had issue with over-aggressive traction control which resulted in there being a TSB for ecu reflash.

Once I was at a stop, foot on brake, car started revving.

Once I was driving at a maintained speed with my foot onthe gas pedal and the car accelerated.

Reported to Lexus, towed to dealer, nothing found. They asked if the floormat had riddnen up. Idk if it was me or a widespread thing but they ended up changing the floormat hooks from 1 to 2 sometime after that.

In my case(s), my floorpats were firmly in place and did not ride up.

Only owned that car for a year. It went off the side of a mountain road sometime after that, I attributed it to driver error but as everything happened so quickly, who knows. There may have been one or two more incidents but it was so long ago and well... no harm no foul. Might have to go and dig up my posts from IS300.net to see if it jogs my memory.

My 2002 IS300 never had those issues, thankfully.
Old 11-16-09, 11:37 AM
LexFather

Thank you for proving my point, any drive by wire system can fail. To think that Toyota is any different is just blind loyalty. The key to a good design to make sure it fails in a failsafe stop or limp mode position, not in the wide open throttle position.
This is maybe the 6th thread you continue to become the lead lawyer for this case and ignore the facts.
1. The wrong floor mats were in the ES, Toyota/Lexus was not found at fault.
2. Toyota/Lexus was not found at fault for any "surges"

However, please continue to post over and over in different threads about your "theories".

No car is perfect. Also drivers are in many cases are idiots and you can't do anything about that.

We are talking about a company that won't even let people use the NAV while in motion for FEAR or being sued. Why on Earth would they then purposely have a default and not do anything about it. Makes NO sense.

Old 11-16-09, 11:42 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It is entirely possible that there is a electronic glitch related to the ECM. But this is highly unlikely because I would think that all Lexus and Toyota models use the same programming, so in theory this would be happening to models across the range and not jsut the ES/IS and Camry/Prius. Also how would you be able to even isolate when it happens? People more or less drive the same way, so if there was truly something wrong, there should be a lot more cases popping up (before the cop incident) and not after.

So many good points on each side its hard to decide which side makes more sense
Old 11-16-09, 11:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
It is entirely possible that there is a electronic glitch related to the ECM. But this is highly unlikely because I would think that all Lexus and Toyota models use the same programming, so in theory this would be happening to models across the range and not jsut the ES/IS and Camry/Prius

So many good points on each side its hard to decide which side makes more sense
I don't worry about any unintended acceleration problem.If somehow it should happen,I'll just put the car in neutral.I've talked about this with the wife and she'll do the same.
I have had at least 10 Toyota built vehicles and never had one instance of this type of problem.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-16-09 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-16-09, 11:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
I had this happen at least twice with my 2001 IS300. I bought the car new in the summer of 2000. This first model year car also had issue with over-aggressive traction control which resulted in there being a TSB for ecu reflash.

Once I was at a stop, foot on brake, car started revving.

Once I was driving at a maintained speed with my foot onthe gas pedal and the car accelerated.

Reported to Lexus, towed to dealer, nothing found. They asked if the floormat had riddnen up. Idk if it was me or a widespread thing but they ended up changing the floormat hooks from 1 to 2 sometime after that.

In my case(s), my floorpats were firmly in place and did not ride up.

Only owned that car for a year. It went off the side of a mountain road sometime after that, I attributed it to driver error but as everything happened so quickly, who knows. There may have been one or two more incidents but it was so long ago and well... no harm no foul. Might have to go and dig up my posts from IS300.net to see if it jogs my memory.

My 2002 IS300 never had those issues, thankfully.
The IS300 had the 1st generation Toyota drive By Wire system, there was wide spread complains about its serious hesitation problem when accelarating.
Old 11-16-09, 12:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I don't worry about any unintended acceleration problem.If somehow it should happen,I'll just put the car in neutral.I've talked about this with the wife and she'll do the same.
I have had at least 10 Toyota built vehicles and never had one instance of this type of problem.
Same here, had a talk with the wife a few months ago when this story came out. Her 1st anwser was to hit the brake and if that doesnt work, then shut off the car. Many people forget about the neutral, I guess one of the poster is right, people get dumb down when they drive automatics.
We also had about 10 Toyota and Lexus between my wife and myself, not once of any hint of sudden accelartion ever occured, but that doesnt mean it is impossible. In fact, I know it is very possible for every make of car and DBW system. The key to be educated and know what to do when you happen to be that 0.00000001 % of population that it happens to.
Old 11-16-09, 12:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Same here, had a talk with the wife a few months ago when this story came out. Her 1st anwser was to hit the brake and if that doesnt work, then shut off the car. Many people forget about the neutral, I guess one of the poster is right, people get dumb down when they drive automatics.
We also had about 10 Toyota and Lexus between my wife and myself, not once of any hint of sudden accelartion ever occured, but that doesnt mean it is impossible. In fact, I know it is very possible for every make of car and DBW system. The key to be educated and know what to do when you happen to be that 0.00000001 % of population that it happens to.
True.
People panic.
Shutting the vehicle down takes about 3-4 seconds of holding the start button in.Not many know that either.
Neutral and slowing down is the best case scenario.
Still can't get over a cop not going into neutral.
Old 11-16-09, 12:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

True.
People panic.
Shutting the vehicle down takes about 3-4 seconds of holding the start button in.Not many know that either.
Neutral and slowing down is the best case scenario.
Still can't get over a cop not going into neutral.
Push button starts are still new and found on many high end cars only, I bet the majority of the drivers on the road doesnt know to hold it down for 3 seconds to shut down.
Old 11-16-09, 12:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Push button starts are still new and found on many high end cars only, I bet the majority of the drivers on the road doesnt know to hold it down for 3 seconds to shut down.
I didn't know until reading about the latest sad incident.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology