Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 09:34 AM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Engine Recall

I just read that there's another recalls issued by Toyota/Lexus in regards to engine idling. It has to do with faulty valve line causing to engine to idle strangely and can cause the vehicle to shutdown.

I have an 08 IS250 and I sometimes feel this similar symptom. While I was waiting at a stop light, I sometimes feel my engine is idling strangely for a few seconds. I thought it would shut down completely, but it never did though. I thought this was a normal thing and maybe my fuel filter need to be change as part of a schedule maintenance.

Anyone has similar experience?
Old 07-02-10, 10:18 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^IS250 is not part of the recall, only the 350
Old 07-02-10, 10:54 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvxdriver
I just read that there's another recalls issued by Toyota/Lexus in regards to engine idling. It has to do with faulty valve line causing to engine to idle strangely and can cause the vehicle to shutdown.

I have an 08 IS250 and I sometimes feel this similar symptom. While I was waiting at a stop light, I sometimes feel my engine is idling strangely for a few seconds. I thought it would shut down completely, but it never did though. I thought this was a normal thing and maybe my fuel filter need to be change as part of a schedule maintenance.

Check out the main IS 2nd gen forum for the carbon build up thread.
Old 07-02-10, 04:41 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by jvxdriver

Yeah I saw the recall on the news as well. More than 250k Toyota and Lexus models recalled for engine problems. Think that is pretty much every single model they have are being recalled for one problem or the other and with the prius catching fire when rear ended Toyota is really trying to be the next Ford.
Old 07-02-10, 06:25 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Autoblog weighs in:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/02/w...-springs-w-vi/
Old 07-02-10, 06:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
good write up. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I am starting to get a little nervous. This kind of stuff doesn't inspire any confidence
Old 07-02-10, 07:05 PM
LexFather

Really?

"Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %)
So its not like we have exploding engines left and right. I'm going to drive my car the same and if I get a recall letter we will go from there.

Yeah its a hassle for some and its unfortunate some have the failure but most companies would simply ignore this considering how low the failure rate is.

Old 07-02-10, 07:21 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^IS250 is not part of the recall, only the 350
Yes, that's what it says in the reports, but I have the same symptom on my 08' IS250, and I was wonder if other IS250 owners notice this.

Originally Posted by MrMut
Check out the main IS 2nd gen forum for the carbon build up thread.
Thanks. I will check into this.
Old 07-02-10, 07:30 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine is 08 GS350. How can I find out if my car has this problem ? I've never delt with recalls before. Will I get a call ?
Old 07-02-10, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Mine is 08 GS350. How can I find out if my car has this problem ? I've never delt with recalls before. Will I get a call ?
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ll-161319.aspx

Lexus will send owners of the involved vehicles a recall notification via first class mail. Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair after receiving their notification.
you will get a letter. if you don't get a letter, you can always call up lexus down the road and check with them on the vin. but for me, i am just going to wait and see if i get a letter, at 0.2% i am not going worry a bit at all
Old 07-03-10, 05:14 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If they are recalling some 127,000 vehicles in the US(I think thats the # I heard) then at .02%, that's only like 250 cars......I am not too worried either.

My 2008 IS350 has been flawless thus far.
Old 07-03-10, 06:39 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ll-161319.aspx

you will get a letter. if you don't get a letter, you can always call up lexus down the road and check with them on the vin. but for me, i am just going to wait and see if i get a letter, at 0.2% i am not going worry a bit at all
Hopefully we won't be getting these letters
Old 07-03-10, 06:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

read some comments

I'm in the engine assembly automation business, including automated cylinder head lines. I have heard from OEM's that a simple scratch on the spring creates a stress riser that will cause the spring to fail prematurely. If there is automation involved in gripping and installing the spring, either at the supplier end or the assembly plant, it could easily be a potential source for this problem. This is only one theory of course...
Great guess on it being an assembly issue. Typically springs are heat treated in continuous furnaces that dump them in the quench which should result and a competent product end to end. In this case there wouldn't be a process point where the springs would not be heat treated properly at the 3/4 mark. Assembly robots (the actual equipment is probably not too impressive) could potentially have a gripper which leaves a deep scratch consistently at the same distance from the end. Since the springs are a spiral perhaps the gripping problem only shows up when by chance the springs are rotated the correct amount. The failure in a "Z" shaped crack would be indicative of a stress crack. From the picture provided it doesn't appear that these are variable rate springs which could suffer a failure at a poorly design transition from one rate to another.
Old 07-03-10, 08:45 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Thank god I have a 2jz and a 1uzfe.

For all kinds of reasons
Old 07-04-10, 01:35 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
most companies would simply ignore this considering how low the failure rate is.
I totally agree that most companies would not even bother recalling this issue. I still have a high degee of confidence in the engineering. I believe Toyota is just rightfully being overly cautious in response to the government and media's attempts to ruin their reputation by nitpicking any minute problems they can find and totally distorting facts, as they did with the pedal recalls.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology