Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 12:32 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An Automotive News article states that the "stalling due to valve issues" recall will cover vehicles built between July 2005 and August 2008.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...307059938/1131
Old 07-06-10, 06:25 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Here are some excerpts from an Associated Press article:

Toyota knew about Lexus problem 2 years ago
By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

TOKYO – Toyota knew two years ago about the engine problem behind its latest Lexus recall, even changing the spring part to correct it, but did not think a recall was warranted until recently, a company official said Tuesday.

Toyota Motor Corp. started Monday a global recall over engine defects in its Lexus luxury models sold around the world, as well as the Crown sold in Japan, moving to repair some 270,000 vehicles to replace valve springs — crucial engine components that are flawed and could cause vehicles to stall.

In August 2008, Toyota changed that spring part, making it thicker, to prevent the problem, spokesman Hideaki Homma told The Associated Press. That is why the latest recall does not affect vehicles produced after August 2008.

Toyota, the world's top automaker, previously thought the problem was caused by a foreign substance entering during manufacturing of the valve springs, and beefed up checks so that wouldn't happen. But the company had thought the issue was an isolated problem that didn't require a recall.

"We changed the part in August because then the problem won't happen at all, even if tiny particles enter during manufacturing," Homma said. "We are talking about microscopic particles here."

But the complaints started climbing, and Toyota decided recently they weren't isolated problems after all, but a design defect, and decided to issue the recall, Homma said.

Auto analyst Koji Endo at Advanced Research Japan Co. said automakers routinely improve parts and technology when a product is remodeled, and the facts don't necessarily point to an intentional cover-up.

Affected in the latest recall were Lexus models GS350, GS450h, GS460, IS350, LS460, LS600h, LS600hL and Crown models, including about 138,000 vehicles in the U.S., nearly 92,000 in Japan, 15,000 in Europe, 10,000 in the Middle East, 6,000 in China, 4,000 in Canada, and 8,000 elsewhere.

Toyota has received about 200 complaints, but no accidents due to the defects have been reported.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100706/...a_recall/print
Old 07-06-10, 12:35 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts
Default They're making it real hard to trust them anymore

Toyota spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi confirmed today that Toyota had first begun receiving complaints about the issues associated with itsfaulty valve springs in 2007, even prompting the automaker to modify the design a year later.

The issue behind the recent recalls affecting eight Lexus models stems from the addition of a foreign substance during the manufacturing process of the valve springs used in several Lexus engines. When Toyota first began receiving complaints in 2007 they began developing a solution, and according to a phone call between Takeuchi and Bloomberg.

Toyota officially addressed the problem in August 2008 when they altered the design of the valve spring, making it thicker. This fix was intended to eliminate the problem, but was not offered to customers who had previously purchased vehicles with the faulty valve springs.

Toyota spokeswoman Monika Saito told Bloomberg that the automaker did not feel that the problem warranted a recall in 2007 due to the rarity of the issue.
Old 07-06-10, 12:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Like any big manufacturing process, changes happen. Some are of minor significance others not so. This isn't the first nor will it be the last. So long as in the end the consumer doesn't get the put up the creek or injured due to the problems.
Old 07-06-10, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i guess my question on this new report is, what is the problem? did toyota/lexus try to hide or deny anything? they learned about the problem 2 yrs ago and made adjustment on new design IMMEDIATELY. at the time (from the info i have read), they did not think the previous design would create big problems. but recently they have received more and more complaints, and quickly, they issued this recall on all cars affected (when the rate is about 0.2%)

i don't know, what else is there to ask for? so every time there is a small design change, then all previously made parts / cars have to be recalled immediately? would that make any sense?

when a company is trying to be frank and more open (as opposed to before, if anything) by revealing more information, media takes no time in picking every information and try to put them down more. so what should they do, say or not say?
Old 07-06-10, 02:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Americans love to see stars fall. Toyota is a huge star in the automotive community. We all loved talking about GM when they were on the edge. Now its Toyotas turn I guess

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-06-10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-06-10, 03:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

info posted by kalbert24
---------------------------

Well, here's the lastest from the NHTSA.gov site.

it's Toyota's official DIR to the NTHSA (Defect Information Report). It has the VINs involved in this recall.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0V309-8305.pdf
Old 07-06-10, 04:23 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This recall will be the hardest and the most difficult one. It will take Lexus dealership at least 1-2 years to complete 138K vehicle. If Lexus want the tech to do it on car without remove the cylinder heads, it will take a good technician a full day to do one IS or GS if everything going well and about 2 days to do the LS.

I'm not looking forward for this one at all, plus I'd seen 3 LS with broken valve springs and none on the IS or GS.
Old 07-06-10, 07:29 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Reason they knew about it 2 years ago and not issue a recall for it is because they figured hey 2 more years and the warranty will up over and it will be the suckers who bought the car that has to flip the repair bill. Guess it didn't work out so well on that gamble.
Old 07-06-10, 07:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Reason they knew about it 2 years ago and not issue a recall for it is because they figured hey 2 more years and the warranty will up over and it will be the suckers who bought the car that has to flip the repair bill. Guess it didn't work out so well on that gamble.
actually, I highly doubt that...

they probably figured that there was such a small incidence of failure and it really isn't a huge safety issue, so there was no real reason to recall anything...
Old 07-06-10, 08:26 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

So, what exactly is involved in replacing these valve springs specifically on a LS600hL? Does the engine have to be removed? Not exactly happy that I have to let a "technician" touch my car since a lot of these "technicians" no longer have the "passion" to do a "factory job" on these cars. Can you imagine a heart surgeon(s) having to replace 138,874 mitral valves and have them not make a mistake! Let alone that once you open up (vehicle/human body) it will never be the same. I know its unfair to compare the two, but in principle its the same.
Old 07-06-10, 08:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hawaii60
So, what exactly is involved in replacing these valve springs specifically on a LS600hL? Does the engine have to be removed? Not exactly happy that I have to let a "technician" touch my car since a lot of these "technicians" no longer have the "passion" to do a "factory job" on these cars. Can you imagine a heart surgeon(s) having to replace 138,874 mitral valves and have them not make a mistake! Let alone that once you open up (vehicle/human body) it will never be the same. I know its unfair to compare the two, but in principle its the same.
The LS repair procedure is being discussed in this thread, seems that the V8s are going to require more work than the V6s:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...acement-4.html

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/pos...osselman/888/1

It seems like the whole V8 will have to be taken out, but at this time that is preliminary info. Seems like a lot of trouble for a 0.2% chance of engine failure. Hope all turns out for the best.
Old 07-07-10, 07:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

this is really terrible news for toyota/lexus, because even if the chance of it affecting a vehicle is very low, some (most?) owners who are reluctant to get the recall done (and maybe even those who do have it done) will have this nagging feeling every time they drive the car (is it going to stall at a bad time?). it's the complete flip side of the FABULOUS trust so many of us have had in the integrity of toyota/lexus - feeling they're 'bulletproof'.
Old 07-07-10, 07:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is really terrible news for toyota/lexus, because even if the chance of it affecting a vehicle is very low, some (most?) owners who are reluctant to get the recall done (and maybe even those who do have it done) will have this nagging feeling every time they drive the car (is it going to stall at a bad time?). it's the complete flip side of the FABULOUS trust so many of us have had in the integrity of toyota/lexus - feeling they're 'bulletproof'.
Funny how people used affected laptops for years then are suddenly afraid to turn them on after the dell laptop recall happened. Bulletproof doesn't mean bullet-immune either. I don't get why people expect a car to be 100% perfect. I'll get the recall done and get it over with, its just a car.

perception is reality.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-07-10 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 08:06 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

rominl,

Thanks for sharing the recall info.

The yo-yo who works in Toyota regulatory (I work in regulatory for big pharma) included in item 7 the following statement;

Reimbursement Plan for pre-notification remedies
As the owner notification letters will be mailed out well within the active period of the Lexus New Vehicle Limited Warranty (“Warranty”), all involved vehicle owners for this recall would have been provided a repair at no cost under the Lexus’s Warranty.

My car is out of warranty. I am sure Lexus will take care of this but their communication, like their quality of late is not where it needs to be.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology