Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 08:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
perception is reality.
that's the point. i had complete confidence in the v8 ENGINE in my 2GS, especially since it was derived from a revered engine 10 years old (from ls400).

this recall, even though tiny, creates some doubt.

you're right though, nothing's perfect or bullet-proof. but if someone's shelling out big bucks, they don't want to think it might stall. granted people still bought benzes when their reliability record was terrible, and people still buy bmw's although most know that keeping them past the warranty period is a mistake. the difference though is that those brands bring other intangibles or actual differences such as the driving experience of a bmw. it has no equal in a stock car. the lexus does bring its own too, like refinement and quiet so maybe this won't be a big deal.
Old 07-07-10, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
rominl,

Thanks for sharing the recall info.

The yo-yo who works in Toyota regulatory (I work in regulatory for big pharma) included in item 7 the following statement;

Reimbursement Plan for pre-notification remedies
As the owner notification letters will be mailed out well within the active period of the Lexus New Vehicle Limited Warranty (“Warranty”), all involved vehicle owners for this recall would have been provided a repair at no cost under the Lexus’s Warranty.

My car is out of warranty. I am sure Lexus will take care of this but their communication, like their quality of late is not where it needs to be.
nice catch, indeed they should have been more careful!
Old 07-16-10, 05:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Report: Toyota to fix over 700,000 RAV4 and Matrix models outside of recall

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/15/r...models-outsid/

Toyota has announced that it will voluntarily repair a number of issues that have arisen with 2001-2003 RAV4 crossovers as well as certain 2009-2010 Matrix and Corolla vehicles. According to Reuters, around 235,500 RAV4 models will be repaired outside of a recall for a "hard shift" problem. Owners have complained that under certain circumstances, the vehicle's transmission would either abruptly shift or otherwise fail to change gears properly. The culprit is typically a faulty engine control module, though in some cases, damage to the transmission may lead to outright replacement. Owners who have previously had to pay for this work out of pocket can apply for reimbursement.

Meanwhile, around 500,000 Matrix and Corolla models will be serviced for "steering drift." The company hasn't exactly elaborated on what that means, but as we first reported yesterday,Toyota hasn't issued a recall because the automaker says that the issue doesn't pose a danger to the vehicle's occupants – this, despite reports of 18 crashes and 11 injuries. Instead, the Japanese manufacturer has labeled the steering problem a customer satisfaction issue. Like the RAV4, owners can have a fix performed free of charge.
Old 07-16-10, 05:12 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I wish Microsoft would do this for my xbox.
Old 07-16-10, 05:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Smart move by Toyota doing a voluntary fix before it becomes a recall.
Old 07-16-10, 06:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/15/r...models-outsid/

Toyota has announced that it will voluntarily repair a number of issues that have arisen with 2001-2003 RAV4 crossovers as well as certain 2009-2010 Matrix and Corolla vehicles. According to Reuters, around 235,500 RAV4 models will be repaired outside of a recall for a "hard shift" problem. Owners have complained that under certain circumstances, the vehicle's transmission would either abruptly shift or otherwise fail to change gears properly. The culprit is typically a faulty engine control module, though in some cases, damage to the transmission may lead to outright replacement. Owners who have previously had to pay for this work out of pocket can apply for reimbursement.

Meanwhile, around 500,000 Matrix and Corolla models will be serviced for "steering drift." The company hasn't exactly elaborated on what that means, but as we first reported yesterday,Toyota hasn't issued a recall because the automaker says that the issue doesn't pose a danger to the vehicle's occupants – this, despite reports of 18 crashes and 11 injuries. Instead, the Japanese manufacturer has labeled the steering problem a customer satisfaction issue. Like the RAV4, owners can have a fix performed free of charge.
I am the owner of a 2002 Rav4 model & made a thread about this issue last year

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...01-2003-a.html

A number of owners have/had this issue on the Rav4 board. I had a ECU reflash done on mine & so far so good.

I had the drivers side door actuator replaced on the Rav4 in the same year that my GS400's rear passenger door actuator went out Toyota products are costing me time & money..
Old 07-29-10, 05:54 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Avalon

TOKYO — Toyota is recalling 412,000 passenger cars, mostly the Avalon model, in the U.S., and another 16,420 vehicles in Japan for steering problems, the automaker said Thursday.

The 373,000 Avalons being recalled in the U.S. range from the 2000 model year through to 2004 and have improper casting of the steering lock bar — a component for the steering system — causing cracks to develop on the surface.

In some cases, the crack can cause the lock bar to break, potentially leading to a crash if the steering wheel locks, the world's No. 1 automaker by car sales said. No injuries have been reported from the accidents that may be caused by the defect, it said.

Recalled in Japan for a similar problem are 6,750 vehicles, called Pronard, built from February 2000 through January 2004, Toyota and the Japanese transport ministry said. There have been three reported problems linked to the defect but no accidents in Japan, the ministry said.

Also being recalled in the U.S. are 39,000 Lexus luxury model LX 470s for the 2003-2007 model years because of a steering shaft problem, which is different from the Avalon steering problem, according to Toyota.

That problem affects 9,670 vehicles in Japan, two Land Cruiser models, the ministry said. One problem has been reported but no accidents are suspected of being linked to the defect, it said.

The latest recall comes on top of some 8.5 million vehicles that have been recalled around the world by Toyota (TM) since October for a spate of problems, including faulty floor mats, defective gas pedals and braking software glitches.

The recall crisis has damaged Toyota's reputation for quality and customer service.

Toyota executives have repeatedly vowed to put customers first. But it has been criticized as lagging in its response to quality lapses, and was slapped with a record $16.4 million fine in the United States for responding too slowly when the recall crisis erupted.

Earlier this month, Toyota announced a recall of some 270,000 vehicles, mostly Lexus cars, for engine problems, dealing a further blow to its image because Lexus is its top-end luxury brand.

Toyota faces more than 200 lawsuits in the U.S. tied to accidents involving defective automobiles, the lower resale value of Toyota vehicles and a drop in its stock value.

"Toyota is continuing to work diligently to address safety issues wherever they arise and to strengthen our global quality assurance operations so that Toyota owners can be confident in the safety of their vehicles," said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America.

Owners of Avalon and Lexus cars are being notified next month, being asked to bring in their cars to nearby Toyota and Lexus dealers for a free fix, according to Toyota.

"Our engineers have thoroughly investigated this issue and have identified a robust and durable remedy that will help prevent this condition from affecting drivers in the future," said Mark Templin, group vice president and general manager of Lexus.
Old 07-29-10, 06:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS69

TOKYO — Toyota is recalling 412,000 passenger cars, mostly the Avalon model, in the U.S., and another 16,420 vehicles in Japan for steering problems, the automaker said Thursday.

The 373,000 Avalons being recalled in the U.S. range from the 2000 model year through to 2004 and have improper casting of the steering lock bar — a component for the steering system — causing cracks to develop on the surface.

In some cases, the crack can cause the lock bar to break, potentially leading to a crash if the steering wheel locks, the world's No. 1 automaker by car sales said. No injuries have been reported from the accidents that may be caused by the defect, it said.

Recalled in Japan for a similar problem are 6,750 vehicles, called Pronard, built from February 2000 through January 2004, Toyota and the Japanese transport ministry said. There have been three reported problems linked to the defect but no accidents in Japan, the ministry said.

Also being recalled in the U.S. are 39,000 Lexus luxury model LX 470s for the 2003-2007 model years because of a steering shaft problem, which is different from the Avalon steering problem, according to Toyota.

That problem affects 9,670 vehicles in Japan, two Land Cruiser models, the ministry said. One problem has been reported but no accidents are suspected of being linked to the defect, it said.

The latest recall comes on top of some 8.5 million vehicles that have been recalled around the world by Toyota (TM) since October for a spate of problems, including faulty floor mats, defective gas pedals and braking software glitches.

The recall crisis has damaged Toyota's reputation for quality and customer service.

Toyota executives have repeatedly vowed to put customers first. But it has been criticized as lagging in its response to quality lapses, and was slapped with a record $16.4 million fine in the United States for responding too slowly when the recall crisis erupted.

Earlier this month, Toyota announced a recall of some 270,000 vehicles, mostly Lexus cars, for engine problems, dealing a further blow to its image because Lexus is its top-end luxury brand.

Toyota faces more than 200 lawsuits in the U.S. tied to accidents involving defective automobiles, the lower resale value of Toyota vehicles and a drop in its stock value.

"Toyota is continuing to work diligently to address safety issues wherever they arise and to strengthen our global quality assurance operations so that Toyota owners can be confident in the safety of their vehicles," said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America.

Owners of Avalon and Lexus cars are being notified next month, being asked to bring in their cars to nearby Toyota and Lexus dealers for a free fix, according to Toyota.

"Our engineers have thoroughly investigated this issue and have identified a robust and durable remedy that will help prevent this condition from affecting drivers in the future," said Mark Templin, group vice president and general manager of Lexus.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-29-10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-29-10, 07:14 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hate to say this, this is the end of Toyota. No one will trust Toyota for awhile, i know i don't.. This is a huge disappointment from a Global car maker..
Old 07-29-10, 07:28 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Hate to say this, this is the end of Toyota. No one will trust Toyota for awhile, i know i don't.. This is a huge disappointment from a Global car maker..
I am beginning to agree. It never ends does it? This is the third recall announcement in a month!
Old 07-29-10, 10:01 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think they are trying to stay one step in front of NHTSA and recalling every single problem before it balloons.
Old 07-29-10, 10:10 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Not another one.....this is getting out of hand I mean which Toyota/Lexus model hasnt been recalled these days.
Old 07-29-10, 10:19 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Not another one.....this is getting out of hand I mean which Toyota/Lexus model hasnt been recalled these days.
to be precise, the SC and the RX and the new LX has yet to be recalled.
Old 07-29-10, 11:16 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
to be precise, the SC and the RX and the new LX has yet to be recalled.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the previous-gen LX. It really pains me to pile on the bad news, but:

Lexus Announces Intent to Voluntarily Recall Certain LX 470 Vehicles to Address Potential for Steering Shaft Disengagement

TORRANCE, Calif., July 29, 2010 -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that Lexus intends to conduct a voluntary safety recall of approximately 39,000 2003-2007 Model Year LX 470 vehicles to address a steering shaft condition. No other Toyota or Lexus vehicles are involved in this safety recall.

This action follows an announcement made by Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan on July 29, 2010.

Lexus has determined that the construction of the steering shaft on involved LX 470s is such that the snap ring on the shaft may disengage when the vehicle experiences an unusually severe impact to the front wheels, such as striking a deep pothole. If the snap ring becomes disengaged and the steering wheel is then repeatedly turned to the full locked position, the steering shaft may disengage over time.

Lexus is not aware of any accidents related to this condition.

“At Lexus, we are committed to setting a new standard for quality customer care and aggressive attention to the safety of our drivers,” said Mark Templin, group vice president and general manager of Lexus. “Our engineers have thoroughly investigated this issue and have identified a robust and durable remedy that will help prevent this condition from affecting drivers in the future.”

The remedy for this condition involves replacing the snap ring with a newly designed one and the installation of an additional component to prevent separation of the steering shaft.

Lexus will begin sending out notification to owners of involved vehicles by first class mail beginning in mid-August 2010, advising them to bring their vehicles to their local Lexus dealer to have this remedy performed at no charge.

Detailed information about this recall is available through Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-25 LEXUS or 1-800-255-3987 or at www.lexus.com/recall.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ly-165037.aspx

Curious that its near-twin Toyota Land Cruiser is spared...
Old 07-29-10, 02:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's the deal... there are so many issues with other vehicles from other manufacturers that should be recalled because they are defective, or, in most scenarios just bad design to start, but they don't get recalled, period...

Here's just one that I recall because it happened so often - Ford 1/2 ton front ball joints. Not sure if they were a bad design or just bad quality part to begin with, but I can almost guarantee there would be some slop in them by the time the truck hit 15,000 miles, and almost every one I saw was loose enough to warrant replacement somewhere between 30 and 45k miles. Defect? hm, excessive wear? who determines that? Who determines how long this part is supposed to last? Obviously automakers don't design parts to last forever, even safety related parts - next we'll have a brake system recall because the pads wear out... I understand what Toyota is doing, but this is ridiculous, IMO...

Now, all of that being said, I personally think all toyotas are junk and I'd be willing to buy anyone and everyones toyota/lexus vehicle for 25 cents per pound... This is much more than the junk yard will pay, and I'll even come pick the vehicle up from wherever you are so you don't have to risk the potentially deadly ride to the junkyard...

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls and related issues: BusinessWeek-Media owes Toyota an apology