Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opel Insignia Now Top-Selling Midsize in Europe. (Buick Regal)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
LaCrosse was getting a decent level of interest at car show in SF, the rest of the Buicks were largely ignored.

Did you make the SF show this year? I assume that, since you live some distance away in Silicon Valley, it was worth the drive.

Did you see the new Legacy/Outback? They are tops on my list for a new car next year, if I decide to replace my existing one.

I plan to spend several days (or parts of several days) at the D.C. show, as usual, in late January. I'm just a short distance away, across the Potomac, by the subway.

Like the SF show, The new LaCrosse got some attention at the D.C. show last year, but a number of traditional Buick buyers weren't impressed with it. I wasn't either, at first (it lost a lot of its nice wood trim inside, and the new low-profile tires seemed to threaten a rougher ride). But, after actually reviewing it, Buick seems to have done an excellent job of combining ride and handling.....the old Buicks, of course, had the ride comfort, but handled like boats. Not so with the new LaCrosse. Its ride-handling compromise is one of the best I've ever seen in a GM car, and is now almost as good as BMW's.
Old 11-30-09, 12:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you make the SF show this year? I assume that, since you live some distance away in Silicon Valley, it was worth the drive.

Did you see the new Legacy/Outback? They are tops on my list for a new car next year, if I decide to replace my existing one.

I plan to spend several days (or parts of several days) at the D.C. show, as usual, in late January. I'm just a short distance away, across the Potomac, by the subway.

Like the SF show, The new LaCrosse got some attention at the D.C. show last year, but a number of traditional Buick buyers weren't impressed with it. I wasn't either, at first (it lost a lot of its nice wood trim inside, and the new low-profile tires seemed to threaten a rougher ride). But, after actually reviewing it, Buick seems to have done an excellent job of combining ride and handling.....the old Buicks, of course, had the ride comfort, but handled like boats. Not so with the new LaCrosse. Its ride-handling compromise is one of the best I've ever seen in a GM car, and is now almost as good as BMW's.
Yes, San Francisco is about 50-60 minute drive from Silicon Valley/San Jose. Left the car in the hotel garage at Fishermans Wharf and cabbed around in a Fusion Hybrid and by cable car and/or by foot, fun for a couple of days.

I will attend San Jose car show later in January too.

Just to test the waters with the older crowd, one member of my party in SF was a 62 year old retired civil servant. He loved the LaCrosse, hated the rest of the Buicks. Even when I took my father (at 80 years old) to the car show a couple of years ago, he found the whole lineup boring. So I commend Buick for addressing the higher growth segments of the American market, and not catering to the super senior, senile, fat and lazy, soon to lose their license or expire. IMO Buick with it's international experience especially in China combined with it's desire to be relevant in the US is doing the right things.
Old 11-30-09, 12:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, Buick seems to be doing the right things with their new models. It's critical to their survivial in the U.S. Nice to see that G.M. is trying to do things right.
Old 11-30-09, 04:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
So much for the "Sophisticated Europeans" only liking "Euro-sporty" cars and hating "soft American" cars.

Oh that hasn't changed.
Old 12-01-09, 07:05 AM
LexFather

Well the new Lucerne isn't hitting sales goals. Its selling around 3k a month but they want around 5k a month sold.

Not a good sign.

Old 12-01-09, 07:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the new Lucerne isn't hitting sales goals. Its selling around 3k a month but they want around 5k a month sold.

Not a good sign.
What's a Lucerne?
Old 12-01-09, 08:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
What's a Lucerne?
Old 12-01-09, 09:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Oh yeah, thanks. I see those near the San Jose airport sometimes (rental cars). Nice tuna boat.