Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Help Choosing Between Honda Accord and Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 05:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Since he's the guy who will be driving and living with the car, get the one he prefers. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 11-28-09, 07:46 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You say it's for your dad. Is he "young" or older gentleman? Does he drink briskly or conservatively? I think many of the suggestions for the Accord are based on driving more aggressively and wanting more "response" from the wheel. If your dad just wants comfort, reliability, quiet cruising, then I would say the Camry all the way. The Accord had better handling with loss in smoothness and comfort.

If you dad has a lead foot, then I also would say Accord then. All depends on what your dad wants. Price wise, I think you can get easily $500 more off the Camry and $1K off the Accord. Check online see what the invoice is and offer $500 below. These are the most vanilla, generic vehicles around and the dealer will always get factory incentives back.

As for those that are suggesting the Fusion, I would not even buy a Toyota/Honda first year vehicle, I'm certainly not going to ever recommend a first year domestic.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-09, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
As for those that are suggesting the Fusion, I would not even buy a Toyota/Honda first year vehicle, I'm certainly not going to ever recommend a first year domestic.

Good luck.
Forget the old stereotypes about first-year vehicles....to some extent, you're living in the past. The Fusion, and its Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ twins, have been reliable from Day One, especially in FWD form. They have, to date, been one of Detroit's best products.
Old 11-28-09, 08:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
You say it's for your dad. Is he "young" or older gentleman? Does he drink briskly or conservatively? I think many of the suggestions for the Accord are based on driving more aggressively and wanting more "response" from the wheel. If your dad just wants comfort, reliability, quiet cruising, then I would say the Camry all the way. The Accord had better handling with loss in smoothness and comfort.

If you dad has a lead foot, then I also would say Accord then. All depends on what your dad wants. Price wise, I think you can get easily $500 more off the Camry and $1K off the Accord. Check online see what the invoice is and offer $500 below. These are the most vanilla, generic vehicles around and the dealer will always get factory incentives back.

Good luck.

I hope if dad is driving his Camry or Accord, he drinks conservatively.
Old 11-28-09, 11:12 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would choose the Camry, better styling and more gears. The Accord looks and feels like a full size sedan. Have you thought of buying a used 2009 Camry XLE? More stuff for probably less money. Goood luck!
Old 11-28-09, 02:09 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i was disappointed with accord 4 banger. camry is better IMO. it's smoother and more quiet. accord has better interior though.
Old 11-28-09, 04:53 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Accord. Far better interior. Exterior styling is subjective, I like the fact that the Accord is more conservative and upscale, but the Camry does look really nice in certain angles. Accord has a slightly harsher ride and a bit more road noise. Apart from that it's a much better car. Edmunds and Car and Driver had pretty good comparisons between the two.
If possible, avoid the LX, spring for the LX-P. Alarm System, alloy wheels, power seat are worth it.
Old 11-28-09, 09:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Both are great cars thought I lean towards the Accord but that is my own opinion. You cannot go wrong wither either. Spend some time in both and choose what you prefer.
Old 11-29-09, 03:37 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys for the helpful advices. One thing I forgot to add is that my father commutes for two hours daily on average. He's in his 50's so he would prefer a smoother and a more comfortable ride, but he did like the more crisper steering of the Accord. I visited a couple more dealers but they wouldn't budge on a steep price.
Old 11-29-09, 03:49 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Doh...

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I hope if dad is driving his Camry or Accord, he drinks conservatively.
DOH... hope it wasn't a Freudian slip on my part, I obviously meant "driving" not "drinking"... remember kids, don't drink and drive.

As for what MMarshal said for "first year issues" thinking being "in the past" I really don't think it's wrong to think. Look at the bumper issue, the little rattles that the '10 RX350 is experiencing and that's from Lexus. If I can't trust a Lexus to give me good first year results, the domestics have not done anything to make me trust them any better.

Also, after all is said and done, how many have "loved" the Fusion and actually went and bought one? I would imagine a handful of converts. I would think most Fusion buyers are current Ford or domestic owners. I don't really see many Accord or Camry owners jumping ship to the Fusion... atleast not right now.
Old 11-29-09, 04:20 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

One more question, I will be e-mailing the dealers today for deals on an Accord. Is it wise to tell them up front the out-the-door price I desire?
Old 11-29-09, 05:12 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXotic
One more question, I will be e-mailing the dealers today for deals on an Accord. Is it wise to tell them up front the out-the-door price I desire?
It's wise to tell them that you're also considering a Camry and that Toyota has given you a better deal
Old 11-29-09, 05:27 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

My preferences:

Exterior design - Camry
Powertrain - Camry
Interior volume - Tie
Interior design & finish - Accord
Interior noise - Camry
Handling & other fun-to-drive - Accord
Ride quality & highway cruising - Camry
Options - Camry
Price - Accord

Technically, the Camry wins and it has more flexible option packages, but the Accord and Hondas in general will feel better behind the wheel.
Old 11-30-09, 04:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camry or Accord? Which is better, Ford or Chevy?. Mac or PC? It's a personal choice because they are both wonderful cars. For people saying the Camry is quieter, you'd better go drive a new Accord. The Accord is just as quiet with much better handling and steering response. The engines in both cars are equals. Same HP, same torque. Both, rev like a singer sewing machines. The seats in the Accord are a bit stiffer, which your Dad might not like over the Camry. Both are just as reliable. Both are just as economical, although, the Accord may cost less to own in the long run. My vote goes to the Accord
Old 11-30-09, 04:39 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LXotic
Hi guys,

I am currently shopping for a car for my father. So far, he has narrowed it down to the 2010 Accord LX-P and 2010 Camry LE. We got a quote from the Toyota dealer for a 2010 LE with alloy wheels and auto-dimming mirrors for around $22.3k. The original price was $25,111. The sales manager told me he was willing to go only a couple under the quote he gave me. Now, having test droven both, my father said he likes the interior space, and the steering response of the Accord more, but both is an option. I will be visiting another Honda dealer tomorrow, but the price I obtained for a 2010 LX-P was $23.5k marked down from roughly the same price as the Camry. (25k) I was wondering if anyone has experience with purchasing these vehicles and have been able to negotiate for better deals, and whether or not I am getting fair deals for the two models. Now I am aware the 8th generation Accord has had some minor problems such as the squealing brakes, but can anyone tell me other problems for these cars from experience?

Thanks,
LXotic
Pricing seems reasonable, just don't pay extra for the documentation/processing fee !! For 23k you can get a great CPO Lexus ES350, more features, better car, and the first two years of depreciation was absorbed by the first owner. Just remember that either car goes down to 17k as soon as it's over the curb ! Good Luck

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Between Honda Accord and Toyota Camry