Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Help Choosing Between Honda Accord and Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 01:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Note: All of above issues are very minor when it comes to first year issues, no doubt the issues are annoying.
Many are minor and annoying but Toyota's V6 trans flare problem was a lot more than annoying with no fix for over a year.
I find rattles and creaks just as annoying as a mechanical problem.
Old 11-30-09, 01:26 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's like trying to decide which loaf of bread to buy

I say have dad flip a coin.
Old 11-30-09, 01:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....most Accord sedans are not BMWs (and, until recently, many Accords had a rather dead feel in the power steering), but the Accord EX-L V6 coupe has a surprising amount of feel to it....and a fair amount of power from the V6.

However, the main problem with the Camry, IMO, is not so much its appliance-like driving manners so much as poor quality and cheapness of the interior trim and hardware.
I really don't get the "Camry is cheap/awful" interior barrage. Its not as bad as people WANT it to be. Its fine. Class leader? Not really but it never came across as cheap. The one three generations back, now that was a step down.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It's like trying to decide which loaf of bread to buy

I say have dad flip a coin.
Like a 3 series Billions and billions sold....

Old 11-30-09, 01:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I really don't get the "Camry is cheap/awful" interior barrage. Its not as bad as people WANT it to be. Its fine. Class leader? Not really but it never came across as cheap. The one three generations back, now that was a step down.
Agreed, Camry is the best seller for a reason and is still my preference in this vanilla class of cars.
Old 11-30-09, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The whole Camry interior is not necessarily cheap, but, IMO, the dash plastics and ***** on the latest-generation model are awful....especially for a car of the Camry's long-standing high reputation.

See those three big climate-control ***** in the picture.....and the smaller ones above them? They are so loosely attached that they feel like they will fall off when you rotate them. And the silver plastic trim is brittle, cheap-looking, and flimsy.

I respect your opinon, Mike, but the present Camry interior hardware, IMO, simply cannot compare with that of the 1990's....especially the superb, 3Gen 1992-96 model.
Old 11-30-09, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, Camry is the best seller for a reason and is still my preference in this vanilla class of cars.
With your taste in cars (and road manners), you would probably prefer the Camry SE. It has a notably stiffer suspension.....and better handling.....than the rest of the Camry line, and also slightly recalibrated power steering. But ride quality, not surprisingly, suffers.
Old 11-30-09, 04:36 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd, I don't find my ***** or dials cheap. The only thing that bugs me is the Styrofoam in the doors since you can see it in the fender when you open them. Maybe you just got a bad model Marshall, the first BRM Camry I was shown had some build issues so I swapped to the one I currently own...
Old 11-30-09, 08:35 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, I guess I ended up being a loyal Toyota customer. Signed a deal on a white 2010 Camry LE with alloy wheels and auto dimming mirrors for $22.3k out-the-door. All of the Accord dealers would not budge from their out-the-door prices, the best I could come up was $23k. My dad and I went for a final test drive, and noticed that the Toyota Camry was much quieter than the Accord, with much smoother acceleration. Comfort I'd have to say was about equal, and both were roomy enough, so the Toyota Camry was our final pick. We're taking delivery of it on December 14, so pictures will be up then. Personally, I liked the fit and finish of the Accord interior better, but the Toyota interior wasn't too bad and thought the recent facelift was a definite plus in the exterior appeal. The auto headlight power switch and ipod/mp3 player are nice features to have, as opposed to the Honda Accord. I'm happy to add another Toyota in the family.
Old 11-30-09, 08:35 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all of the advice guys, really helped with the final decision.
Old 11-30-09, 11:50 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get Ash or Bisque interior? I have Ash since it flows better inside. That and my past cars have tan interiors! lol
Old 12-01-09, 05:15 AM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LXotic
congrats!!!

Old 12-01-09, 05:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Odd, I don't find my ***** or dials cheap. The only thing that bugs me is the Styrofoam in the doors since you can see it in the fender when you open them. Maybe you just got a bad model Marshall, the first BRM Camry I was shown had some build issues so I swapped to the one I currently own...
i have yet to see an vehicle where mmarshal did not prefer previous interior... in most cases I do not agree with his views, as some come remembering previous models being far better than they were. ;-)

hey, we dont have to agree on everything
Old 12-02-09, 02:47 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to help, congrats on the purchase, hope it lives up to your expectations
Old 12-03-09, 07:21 AM
Milla...

Did they make any significant interior changes for 2010? Specifically from the super cheap 90's K-Mart shelf stereo looking center stack? That back lit plastic stuff around the radio area absolutely kills to death..

Oh and congrats.
Old 12-03-09, 07:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well guys, I guess I ended up being a loyal Toyota customer. Signed a deal on a white 2010 Camry LE with alloy wheels and auto dimming mirrors for $22.3k out-the-door. All of the Accord dealers would not budge from their out-the-door prices, the best I could come up was $23k. My dad and I went for a final test drive, and noticed that the Toyota Camry was much quieter than the Accord, with much smoother acceleration. Comfort I'd have to say was about equal, and both were roomy enough, so the Toyota Camry was our final pick. We're taking delivery of it on December 14, so pictures will be up then. Personally, I liked the fit and finish of the Accord interior better, but the Toyota interior wasn't too bad and thought the recent facelift was a definite plus in the exterior appeal. The auto headlight power switch and ipod/mp3 player are nice features to have, as opposed to the Honda Accord. I'm happy to add another Toyota in the family.
Good to hear of the successful bargaining.

Post pics when you get the chance...

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Between Honda Accord and Toyota Camry