Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

i am no longer paranoid about rattles. are you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 07:59 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What lexus do u have? We have yet to see pics.
I want to see too. I second this motion.
Old 11-28-09, 09:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Which Lexus you have? Most of mine didn't rattle.Only couple of them did like my Old SCs.
you say you've had 25 lexus over the past 6 years.

so you probably haven't kept one long enough.

i have over 85k miles on this car. it's an ES
Old 11-28-09, 10:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm getting there but not yet.. The popping still bothers me but I'm more concerned with safety. I don't want to be driving down the road and something on the suspension gives out.. Everything will be replaced soon enough. i guess i can expect little noises on a 10yr old car but not from a 2 yr. old car. Can't believe some of you already having noises on the 3rd Gen.

I wonder if the exotics have rattles and creaks. Like the lambo, LF-A, and Ferrari? nobody mentions these cars..
Old 11-28-09, 11:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Why not be picky? There's nothing wrong with having a high standard. We are paying enough for these cars, they should operate as best as possible. I've never allowed rattles in my cars and have largely been successful in quelling them all. Since the advent of the internet, one can research just about any problem and find a fix. I've done this with my IS and it's now rattle-free.
Old 11-29-09, 02:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to admit I have done a decent job of getting rid of any rattles but it was a pain in the *** to have the dash removed 4 times to get that fixed. All of the other rattles seem easily fixed by the dealership
Old 11-29-09, 10:35 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rattles still bug the crap out of me. On my bimmer, there is this annoying little rattle coming from the navi screen. I only hear it when the music isn't on but still.

Also on my benz...the panoramic sunroof has an annoying rattle. I haven't brought it in yet, but i hear its an easy fix.

When I had my SC, there was a small rattle i could never find. It came from somewhere in the back passenger side.

Surprisingly, my M doesn't have any rattles.
Old 11-29-09, 11:09 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I've never experienced rattles in my cars or those of my family. Guess we always were stuck with quality products (including Buick, Pontiac and Dodge products).
Old 11-29-09, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think the issue is also how quiet the car is. If you were driving a Jeep wrangler you wouldnt hear any rattles because it would all be rattling.

I still think that the Jeep wrangler is the worst car I have ever had the displeasure of driving. It had technology and build quality equal to that of my moms old Datsun 210 station wagon from 1981. seriously
The Wrangler was not designed for on-road comfort or sophistication. In fact, it is a direct descendent of a crude, go-anywhere World War II military vehicle. It is meant to be a relatively cheap, unsophisticated, rock-crawler/creek-forger/mountain goat. In those roles, it does very well....a testament to its continuing popularity with the off-roading crowd.

Off-road, however, it
Old 11-29-09, 01:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I've never experienced rattles in my cars or those of my family. Guess we always were stuck with quality products (including Buick, Pontiac and Dodge products).
More likely, the crude, noisy four-cylinders in those cars (especially the older ones) simply run loud enough to drown out some of the rattles.
Old 11-29-09, 01:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

rattles somewhat bother me, but im afraid that the dealer will generate new rattles during the repair and disassembly. Plus my solution is Mark Levinson.
Old 11-30-09, 06:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
my other 7 year old lexus has become a rattlebox. started like 3 years ago, now it's louder than ever. moonroof, door panels, B pillar....

but i am no longer annoyed by rattles. I don't poke my head high and low while driving, trying to listen for rattles and looking like a crazy man.
I am happy to say that I am cured of rattle OCD and rattle anxiety disorder.

Thanks to the advice of the internets, I now turn up the music to drown out rattles.
why let rattles ruin your driving experience..............
Lol, Lexus need more owners like you, so they dont have to spend so much money fixing rattles.
Old 11-30-09, 07:29 AM
Pitman
Rookie

I hate hate hate any funny sounds coming from my car thats not the engine purring. I will forever be paranoid of rattles
Old 11-30-09, 07:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07 335i had a symphony of rattles over bumps... granted it was sprung very stiffly and had RFTs but still. I was able to not be too annoyed by them because it was a lease. My Aura has one rattle so far that only surfaces when I'm driving over rough/course concrete surfaces. The other 99% of the time it's very quiet. However I only have 3500 miles on it so I have no doubt in my mind that will change over time. I think that because I only paid 16 grand for it then I will be able to mentally write it off. That's really one of the primary reasons I decided to get the Aura over, say, the Hyundai Genesis sedan... the Aura was less than half as much $$ so I knew I wouldn't be as obsessed with rattles and door dings.

Back when I had my 99 GS400 they drove me nuts, though. It wasn't even that it rattled that much (and when it did, I fixed them, usually) but every new rattle bothered me so much I even went out and bought this microphone system so I could point it to areas of the car to pinpoint the noise. LOL

Our 4runner has a rattle or two but I'm not sure if they're from the car or from all the miscellaneous 'just in case' crap my wife keeps in there. She keeps everything form hand sanitizer to tissues to lint rollers to a printer for her job inside the 4runner so I never really know what's rattling. I think that actually helps me ignore it since I just assume it's some of her junk rattling around. It has 50k miles on it anyway so it's getting up there in miles to the point where it doesn't bother me as much.

Last edited by Threxx; 11-30-09 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 08:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Our 4runner has a rattle or two but I'm not sure if they're from the car or from all the miscellaneous 'just in case' crap my wife keeps in there. She keeps everything form hand sanitizer to tissues to lint rollers to a printer for her job inside the 4runner so I never really know what's rattling. I think that actually helps me ignore it since I just assume it's some of her junk rattling around. It has 50k miles on it anyway so it's getting up there in miles to the point where it doesn't bother me as much.
That is one thing us guys can learn from females, rattles? what rattles?
Old 11-30-09, 08:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rattles drive me nuts.I hate 'em.
The RX has been very quiet.The ES is great but new.

Quick Reply: i am no longer paranoid about rattles. are you?