Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus December to Remember Event a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 11:44 PM
LexFather

I've personally seen the offers and rates in the past. Most are not advertised it's up to the salesman to offer or the consumer to ask. Historically it is one of the best times to buy especially slow selling Lexus models. So ask SPECIFICALLY for the December to remember rates/leases/specials...if ur salesman is acting clueless ask the finance manager

Last edited by LexFather; 11-30-09 at 12:03 AM.

Old 11-30-09, 04:13 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmarshall is 100% correct. No, it's not a scam. However, it is a marketing ploy to create "buzz" and showroom traffic, nothing more. More showroom traffic means more sales.
Old 11-30-09, 04:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Best I can say to that is my example of when I bought mine in February. My down payment was slightly less than the December down, and my monthly was $20 less. At the time I did this, there was nothing being advertised publicly. It was clearly a better deal than December's promotion.
everything when it comes to sales depends on current market conditions and conditions at the dealer (how many cars they have, did they meet their goals, etc). December events are when they get more support from Lexus, but that does not mean that you wont get some crazy price in June, for car that has been sitting on a lot for few months.

All things equal, you will get better price at these events.
Old 11-30-09, 04:32 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
My favorite of the scams (on the dealer level) is when they advertise some fantastic purchase price, and the fine print says "includes $5000 cash or trade".
+1, and more fine print that says "$449 processing fee" , that's why I buy used cars on Ebay, will never go to a dealer !!
Old 11-30-09, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Historically, Lexus has been a brand that usually don’t give out big discounts, rebates or bargain basement lease rates. I am not sure if this is the case because they want to uphold their luxury image, or they rather cut production than flood the dealer's lot. Whatever the reason is, I do agree with the OP, December to remember is very forgettable.
Old 12-01-09, 05:45 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Historically, Lexus has been a brand that usually don’t give out big discounts, rebates or bargain basement lease rates. I am not sure if this is the case because they want to uphold their luxury image, or they rather cut production than flood the dealer's lot. Whatever the reason is, I do agree with the OP, December to remember is very forgettable.
It can help keep resale values up if a vehicle isn't heavily discounted.
Old 12-01-09, 06:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Like more automotive advertising in the US, forgettable.
Old 12-01-09, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Like more automotive advertising in the US, forgettable.
Who honestly pays any serious attention to car ads anyway? If not an outright scam, most people know that they are, in general, an insult to human intelligence, for reasons which I outlined in the previous posts.
Old 12-01-09, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Well looking at sales every year for the past decade, December to Remember works. It gets people buying a Lexus.

Sometimes we have to put away personal prejudices before deciding if something "sucks".

A successful automobile brand is not just about the product. Marketing is a substantial part. If your message sucks/is mixed/non existent, you are doomed. A lot of brands have that issue.

Old 12-01-09, 09:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, thankfully a successful auto brand is still mainly about the product. Of course good marketing is important and good marketing goes beyond just advertisements.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-01-09 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 09:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Who honestly pays any serious attention to car ads anyway? If not an outright scam, most people know that they are, in general, an insult to human intelligence, for reasons which I outlined in the previous posts.
Good point, not just related to auto advertising but much of the advertising that we are bombarded with in America. Sometimes ads do provide a brief moment of amusement and those are the good ones.
Old 12-01-09, 10:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, thankfully a successful auto brand is still mainly about the product. Of course good marketing is important and good marketing goes beyond just advertisements.
I hear you. If the product is good, great, yes it makes marketing it much MUCH easier. However we have seen a lot of lackluster products sell based on marketing/brand and some stellar/good products do horribly b/c of poor brand/horrible marketing/advertising. Advertising then must be effective based on what marketing has learned.

Old 12-02-09, 03:51 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's just a ploy to get u in the showroom... "December 2 Remember" is nothing special at all (regards to deals), just good marketing/advertising catch phrase.
Old 12-02-09, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well looking at sales every year for the past decade, December to Remember works. It gets people buying a Lexus.
I agree, I drove by a local Lexus dealer last night and there was 3 RX350 , 1 IS and a ES350 in the delivery bay for next day pick up. I have been in a Lexus showroom a few times in this D2R event, I did not get any special deal that I wouldnt otherwise gotten at another times. Most of the time, there are special leasing rate, but I dont like to lease Lexus, so that doesnt do me any good.
Old 12-02-09, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
it's just a ploy to get u in the showroom... "December 2 Remember" is nothing special at all (regards to deals), just good marketing/advertising catch phrase.
Wrong...read my post.....

Quick Reply: Lexus December to Remember Event a scam?