Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus December to Remember Event a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 07:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

From a marketing standpoint, if December To Remember didn't work, they would go to something else.

Lexus has been doing DTR for years, my guess is that it works for them, hence the reason we see it year after year.
Old 12-02-09, 07:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus advertises the December to Remember via emails, mass mailings, dealer webpage. Always remember to read the fine print & take the ad with you when you are ready to purchase.. Here is the deal going on right now at my dealer. I am sure it is similar across the country..

Old 12-02-09, 07:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Aren't Dec and Jan the slowest vehicle sale months?
Especially in the winter climate areas?
Many manufacturers have a December sales ad bit.
Old 12-02-09, 07:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Aren't Dec and Jan the slowest vehicle sale months?
Especially in the winter climate areas?
Many manufacturers have a December sales ad bit.
If you are looking for current model year vehicles, December & January is the worst time to get them. You will be left with the scraps such as demos, standard equipped vehicles, cancelled orders. The best time to shop is mid summer as the current model year line comes to a close to make way for the next model year. If you are interested in the next model year it will not matter when you buy.
Old 12-02-09, 08:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Looking at that ad, the lease prices looks pretty good, but the purchase prices are nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 12-02-09, 08:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
If you are looking for current model year vehicles, December & January is the worst time to get them. You will be left with the scraps such as demos, standard equipped vehicles, cancelled orders. The best time to shop is mid summer as the current model year line comes to a close to make way for the next model year. If you are interested in the next model year it will not matter when you buy.
I know of many people who say they'll wait till Spring to buy.They don't want to buy a new vehicle in winter.
That's why I feel car makers have some sort of winter ad incentive.
Now in warm climate states,it doesn't matter much.
Old 12-02-09, 08:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Looking at that ad, the lease prices looks pretty good, but the purchase prices are nothing out of the ordinary.
Finance rate is lower.
When I bought my ES in Oct,the rate was 5.9% and now it's 2.9%.
It'll probably stay at 2.9% past the Jan 4..
Old 12-02-09, 08:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Finance rate is lower.
When I bought my ES in Oct,the rate was 5.9% and now it's 2.9%.
It'll probably stay at 2.9% past the Jan 4..
2.9% is not bad, but the current low rate is around 3.9%. 1% APR is not enought to get me into the showroom.
Old 12-02-09, 08:23 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 4 years ago right before I leased my 06 Audi A4 I was considering an IS350 lease. It was close to December so I remember looking in to what exactly "December to remember" incentives would consist of since I could never remember ever seeing any actual quantifiable discounts mentioned in their ads or even on the internet.

After reading around a lot I came to the conclusion that December to Remember was basically a scam since it implied some special Lexus-backed promo when in fact at best you might just hope to negotiate a better deal since it was the end of the year but in reality there was no reason why you couldn't get the same deal in November or January on the same car. Yes sometimes the money factor or finance rates were slightly lowered but in reality, again, they might have some mild promo rates in the months before or after anyway.

I even got somewhat chewed out by a member here who was a Lexus dealer saleswoman and yet all she could do was tell me I'd just have to come in to my local dealer to see what the deals were like. That just screams shady to me... kind of a bait and switch tactic.
Old 12-02-09, 08:25 AM
LexFather

Deals are usually regional....different regions have different deals. This also is a case of the dealer advertising what they want. As I stated, there are a lot of different deals for the month, you just have to ask about them as the dealer will not push them all.

DaShocker is wrong again b/c it depends on when the car debuts. For instance the Honda Crosstour just debuted, you are not getting an "old" car as he is implying. The end of December is the best time FOR A DEAL traditionally b/c dealers DO NOT want to pay taxes and penalties on excess inventory.

Here are nationwide BMW lease offers
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...aseOffers.aspx

Finance offers
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...xboMYFaYlVjBci

They are for 2010 models, not left overs.

Old 12-02-09, 08:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
2.9% is not bad, but the current low rate is around 3.9%. 1% APR is not enought to get me into the showroom.
In Oct the 5.9% was a Lexus Financial rate.Now it's a December to Remember 2.9%.
3% is big.
Old 12-02-09, 08:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Deals are usually regional....different regions have different deals. This also is a case of the dealer advertising what they want. As I stated, there are a lot of different deals for the month, you just have to ask about them as the dealer will not push them all.

DaShocker is wrong again b/c it depends on when the car debuts. For instance the Honda Crosstour just debuted, you are not getting an "old" car as he is implying. The end of December is the best time FOR A DEAL traditionally b/c dealers DO NOT want to pay taxes and penalties on excess inventory.

Here are nationwide BMW lease offers
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...aseOffers.aspx

Finance offers
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...xboMYFaYlVjBci

They are for 2010 models, not left overs.
LOL.. When was the last time that you purchased a NEW CAR?

I speak from experience so can choose to listen to the guy with no new car buying experience^^ who tells you to run to the dealer & make an *** of yourself on the $199.00 lease deals or the guy who has been there and done that.

Sure there are BMW lease offers, Mercedes, Dodge etc. As I indicated earlier in this thread, read the fine print. Did you do so with the links you posted?
Old 12-02-09, 09:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Guys stop making the ugly personal comments and keep on topic.
Old 12-02-09, 09:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
LOL.. When was the last time that you purchased a NEW CAR?

I speak from experience so can choose to listen to the guy with no new car buying experience^^ who tells you to run to the dealer & make an *** of yourself on the $199.00 lease deals or the guy who has been there and done that.

Sure there are BMW lease offers, Mercedes, Dodge etc. As I indicated earlier in this thread, read the fine print. Did you do so with the links you posted?
You know the answer to that as I CHOOSE not to buy a new car, I stated stated over I prefer a nice 2nd hand vehicle over a new one. That fact alludes to you. You lease until your recent purchase. You didn't BUY anything.

I never mentioned the used RX I bought under DECEMBER to REMEMBER what 6/7 years ago.... so yeah, I have no experience

Unlike you I have seen the binder with all the deals with my own eyes. I have seen dealer financial statements year over year.

Now I have to ninja edit my post (just saw Dave's warning) as not to have you called out again like in the 5 series thread.

Old 12-02-09, 10:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I prefer a nice 2nd hand vehicle over a new one.
Come on, does anybody really prefer a used car over a new one, maybe you should say you prefer the price of a used car instead of new.

Quick Reply: Lexus December to Remember Event a scam?