Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus December to Remember Event a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 11:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Lexus December to Remember Event a scam?

I've been following Lexus's well-advertised "December To Remember" event for several years now. In my findings, I've not noticed any special difference in pricing or incentives compared to November, January, or February. Is it possible the same good rates happen throughout much of the model year (after October), but are just not publicly advertised or pushed like they are during December? The current lease ads for most Lexus model are the exact same as they were in October and November. Also, when I leased my IS in February 2008, I got the same low rate and payment that was being advertised in December 2007.
Any insight on this?
Old 11-29-09, 02:13 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

In the end you never know but I am not putting anything past them
Old 11-29-09, 05:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-wait.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...questions.html

Think the value certainly may vary given market conditions leading up to December each year, but one simple fact in your favor is that it is end-of-year and you're in a better negotiating position.
Old 11-29-09, 08:41 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

For this year, there were special residual values set for leases. The "December to Remember" specials actually started about Nov 15 and will go at least into January. There are likely some special incentatives to the dealer that are not advertised to the public. My experience is that there really are better buys during the event.
Steve
Old 11-29-09, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've been following Lexus's well-advertised "December To Remember" event for several years now. In my findings, I've not noticed any special difference in pricing or incentives compared to November, January, or February. Is it possible the same good rates happen throughout much of the model year (after October), but are just not publicly advertised or pushed like they are during December? The current lease ads for most Lexus model are the exact same as they were in October and November. Also, when I leased my IS in February 2008, I got the same low rate and payment that was being advertised in December 2007.
Any insight on this?
Having watched the auto market for some 40 years now, I can tell you that most radio/TV/magazine manufacturer and dealer ads are BS. Even the "rebates" are sometimes disguised in the middle of other charges.

In fact, I'll so so far as to say that some of the TV/radio ads, with their outlandish circus-entertainment props, stunt men, costumes, musical tunes, ham acting, etc....are even an insult to one's intelligence.

In most cases, unless you are dealing with a purpose-designed no-dicker/no discount company like Saturn or Scion, the best way to deal on a new car is to first find out what incentives are available....this can be done on-line or from a number of sources. Sometimes, end-of-month or end-of-season factory-to-dealer dealer holdback fees will apply that pressure dealers to get rid of existing cars in stock....that can be a potential discount to you. Then, go to dealerships and salespeople you know (previous experience and repeat ownership are big factors that can work in your favor), find a car model that is not in high demand/short supply (in other words, don't try and bargain on a Camaro SS right now), do a rough estimate on dealer's cost (there are several ways to do this, but you probably won't know the exact amount), and then simply sit down and do the best offers you can, reaching a good compromise with the salespeople. Then, after the initial paperwork, don't be pressured into the secondary stuff in the dealer's buisness office like rustproofing, undercoating, extended warranties, service packages, paint sealant, gap insurance, etc..... unless you feel they are worth the extra money.

And then, when the deal is done and you take your new car home,, DON'T lose any sleep over it wondering if you could have done better....some people are never satisfied, no matter how good or bad a deal they make.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-09 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-29-09, 02:32 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I certainly wouldn't call it a scam; that's a very harsh way to put it. In business we refer to this as more of a marketing scheme. At this time of the year Lexus promotes its rates and incentives more than it does during the rest of the year to get the older model years off of the lots.

Do keep in mind that at the end of the year like this you are in a much better position to be negociating cars still left on the dealership lots than you are in the spring where there are no cars on the lots and the new model year has just started. Just as an example, one of the dealers around here was offering a $7000 rebate on a 2009 IS-F, at a very good rate. And as far as I was told, the car hadn't even been negociated yet - the salesperson gave that rebate right off the boot.
Old 11-29-09, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I certainly wouldn't call it a scam; that's a very harsh way to put it. In business we refer to this as more of a marketing scheme. At this time of the year Lexus promotes its rates and incentives more than it does during the rest of the year to get the older model years off of the lots.
That is also done with holdback fees. They are paid out, from the factory, to dealerships to clear off the lots. That can sometimes work in the car buyers' favor, especially at or near the end of the month or sales year.

Do keep in mind that at the end of the year like this you are in a much better position to be negociating cars still left on the dealership lots than you are in the spring where there are no cars on the lots and the new model year has just started. Just as an example, one of the dealers around here was offering a $7000 rebate on a 2009 IS-F, at a very good rate. And as far as I was told, the car hadn't even been negociated yet - the salesperson gave that rebate right off the boot.
You can also, in some cases, get good deals in the spring, especially with AWD and/or other winter-capable vehicles, as demand for them often subsides with rising temperatures and snowmelt. Spring, though, for obvious reasons, is usually NOT the time to try and bargain on a convertible.
Old 11-29-09, 04:08 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a scam, they're not specially saying that "you'll get the best deals of the ever" or something like that. They're just calling it a "December to remember" event. At any time during the year, if you catch a dealer at the right time, you can get the best deal at any time.
Old 11-29-09, 06:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Having watched the auto market for some 40 years now, I can tell you that most radio/TV/magazine manufacturer and dealer ads are BS. Even the "rebates" are sometimes disguised in the middle of other charges.

In fact, I'll so so far as to say that some of the TV/radio ads, with their outlandish circus-entertainment props, stunt men, costumes, musical tunes, ham acting, etc....are even an insult to one's intelligence.

In most cases, unless you are dealing with a purpose-designed no-dicker/no discount company like Saturn or Scion, the best way to deal on a new car is to first find out what incentives are available....this can be done on-line or from a number of sources. Sometimes, end-of-month or end-of-season factory-to-dealer dealer holdback fees will apply that pressure dealers to get rid of existing cars in stock....that can be a potential discount to you. Then, go to dealerships and salespeople you know (previous experience and repeat ownership are big factors that can work in your favor), find a car model that is not in high demand/short supply (in other words, don't try and bargain on a Camaro SS right now), do a rough estimate on dealer's cost (there are several ways to do this, but you probably won't know the exact amount), and then simply sit down and do the best offers you can, reaching a good compromise with the salespeople. Then, after the initial paperwork, don't be pressured into the secondary stuff in the dealer's buisness office like rustproofing, undercoating, extended warranties, service packages, paint sealant, gap insurance, etc..... unless you feel they are worth the extra money.

And then, when the deal is done and you take your new car home,, DON'T lose any sleep over it wondering if you could have done better....some people are never satisfied, no matter how good or bad a deal they make.
My favorite of the scams (on the dealer level) is when they advertise some fantastic purchase price, and the fine print says "includes $5000 cash or trade".
Old 11-29-09, 06:46 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by tex2670
My favorite of the scams (on the dealer level) is when they advertise some fantastic purchase price, and the fine print says "includes $5000 cash or trade".
Or they announce this amazing price and you see, in the fine print, -$2500 delivery allowance.
Old 11-29-09, 09:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Regardless, I think Lexus is fooling the majority of the public with this. They make it sound like the best deals are now (their words, "it's never been a better time..."), so you better hurry up before it all changes and disappears. It's plain to see the same deals are available many other months. This is no different than any other cheesy manufacturer's attempt.
Switching gears, why doesn't Lexus just advertise some sort of fancy-sounding promotion every month (or season) to bring in even more sales? If it works for December, it can work to increase sales for other months.
Old 11-29-09, 09:55 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I don't get why you're so angry; Lexus isn't saying that price is the reason one should act during December to Remember.
Old 11-29-09, 11:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
I don't get why you're so angry; Lexus isn't saying that price is the reason one should act during December to Remember.
Not really angry, just putting it into perspective. I think it's a sale's promotion and people will be thinking money/savings before anything else.
Old 11-29-09, 11:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast

You're right, "scam" is too harsh. "Scheme" seems more appropriate.
Old 11-29-09, 11:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
For this year, there were special residual values set for leases. The "December to Remember" specials actually started about Nov 15 and will go at least into January. There are likely some special incentatives to the dealer that are not advertised to the public. My experience is that there really are better buys during the event.
Steve
Best I can say to that is my example of when I bought mine in February. My down payment was slightly less than the December down, and my monthly was $20 less. At the time I did this, there was nothing being advertised publicly. It was clearly a better deal than December's promotion.

Quick Reply: Lexus December to Remember Event a scam?