Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody try this to get the NAV to work while in motion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 04:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Anybody try this to get the NAV to work while in motion?

I just read this on another Lexus forum.

"I came across this and thought I would share what I have learned. Im not sure if this has been "solved" or not but I came up with a solution. I have a 08 RX350, 08 LS460, and a 07 ES350, so I have experience with Lexus nav. I have only tried this on the ES, but if you depress the emergency brake just enough for the car to recognize it but to not engage it, it will unlock the controls. Hope this helps someone."
Old 11-29-09, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i highly doubt that. that's just parking brake, the navigation make use of speed sensors as well
Old 11-30-09, 04:15 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i highly doubt that. that's just parking brake, the navigation make use of speed sensors as well
Yep, the parking brake has nothing to do with it. The only thing limiting NAV use is speed.
Old 11-30-09, 05:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Some people had success with grounding the speed wire to the nav. Of course I would never recommand doing this to a brand new Lexus
Old 11-30-09, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Joeb, with all due respect (and I'm not trying to sound rude here), there's a reason why some automakers program NAV systems so they can't be used (or have only limited adjustments) while the vehicle is in motion. Fooling around with NAV controls while the car is moving, like cell-phones, text-messaging, music downloading, and other classic dashboard distractions like BMW's I-Drive and Audi's MMI, have been shown to greatly increase the chances of accidents.
Old 11-30-09, 06:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Joeb, with all due respect (and I'm not trying to sound rude here), there's a reason why some automakers program NAV systems so they can't be used (or have only limited adjustments) while the vehicle is in motion. Fooling around with NAV controls while the car is moving, like cell-phones, text-messaging, music downloading, and other classic dashboard distractions like BMW's I-Drive and Audi's MMI, have been shown to greatly increase the chances of accidents.
What about the passenger setting the destination, why is that lock out as well?
Old 11-30-09, 06:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does voice control for the nav work at least? This is not too user friendly.
Old 11-30-09, 06:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Mike,I understand what you're saying but I think I can handle using the NAV while driving.A passenger should be able to program the NAV like Mr G posted.The passenger seatbelt weight switch could enable NAV use while in motion.
I do feel the Idrive type systems are a bit safer because they aren't lean over and touch screen.
Garmins and such should be outlawed.They're worse to operate while driving.
The new 2010 voice updated NAV system's bluetooth works very well.I haven't tried the NAV end yet,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-30-09 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 01:00 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did anyone end up trying this? Even if it works, I'm not sure how practical it'd be to have to find the point where the system thinks the brake it's engaged, but you have to know that it isn't. Imagine trying to do this while driving! Dangerous.

Regardless, Lexus should update the system to detect and allow passenger input. Since the weight sensor is already there for the seatbelt, it shouldn't be a huge deal to implement it. It's so annoying when you have a passenger and still can't use the nav or even select songs or folders from the audio.

There were several times during a recent road trip where I was on the freeway and my passengers decided on a place to go/eat. But we were unable to input the address or name unless I pulled over and exited the freeway. That's a huge inconvenience that is completely unnecessary, and a waste of my time.
Old 11-30-09, 01:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
So did anyone end up trying this? Even if it works, I'm not sure how practical it'd be to have to find the point where the system thinks the brake it's engaged, but you have to know that it isn't. Imagine trying to do this while driving! Dangerous.

Regardless, Lexus should update the system to detect and allow passenger input. Since the weight sensor is already there for the seatbelt, it shouldn't be a huge deal to implement it. It's so annoying when you have a passenger and still can't use the nav or even select songs or folders from the audio.

There were several times during a recent road trip where I was on the freeway and my passengers decided on a place to go/eat. But we were unable to input the address or name unless I pulled over and exited the freeway. That's a huge inconvenience that is completely unnecessary, and a waste of my time.
no need to try, i am almost sure it won't work, not on the navigation part

just do the wire hack or get the override module
Old 12-01-09, 04:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primecut

The NAV is completely functional while driving through voice commands. If you're looking for a place to eat, simply press the talk button and say "I'm hungry". Yes, it really is a valid voice command, try it.