Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3rd Generation Toyota Sienna to Debut in L.A. (Now updated with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 11:10 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

damn. that Van is pretty low for a van
Old 12-04-09, 11:47 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if that SE was purposely lowered for the show. It looks like it would scrape easily on driveways.
Old 12-04-09, 02:40 PM
lex-phil
Driver

I see a lot of design cues from the Alphard, Previa/Estima and even the RX. Good job Toyota, its a good looking van.
Old 12-04-09, 02:59 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by votru
and the interior wow, reclined backseat that may put LS430 to shame .
Not until it can heat, cool, massage and sink your butt in semi-aniline leather. And even after that it's still missing a mini-fridge and a pop-out table to be on par with the LS.

Last edited by Mister Two; 12-04-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 03:31 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Sienna VS Previa

Previa (picture is mine) still wins on looks with the sharp head & taillamps and the rising belt line, but I'm guessing the Sienna has a much larger rear area for cargo and "other oversized objects."

Options-wise they look to be about the same. A vehicle as large as the Sienna ought to have side turn signal repeaters (Previa has mirror signals). To my knowledge, Previa doesn't have the stowable kiddy-chair.
Old 12-04-09, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Not until it can heat, cool, massage and sink your butt in semi-aniline leather. And even after that it's still missing a mini-fridge and a pop-out table to be on par with the LS.
and 50k is missing too ;-).
Old 12-04-09, 08:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

y halo thar RX350!

Doesn't look bad IMO, but the front end is out of place...
Old 12-04-09, 08:43 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh and: http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/

and the Limited is going to have lounge chairs in the 2nd row AND projector HIDs

Looks like Mopar's vans have just been perma-binned to Hertz and Honda's going to have a little headache now...
Old 12-04-09, 08:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm really liking this van a lot. Especially in the SE trim. Lots of talk about the JDM vans, personally think they are all disgusting minus the interiors. Looks to cartoon-ish to me. But thats just my opinion.

Amazing that a Toyota minivan gets completely redesigned bumpers for the sport model, yet Lexus models such as the HS and LS-sport (as well as Camry & Corolla) get tacky stick on bumper kits.

Nice to see the dual sunroofs making a comeback. I remember them on the Previa years back.
Old 12-04-09, 10:08 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchan7
Sienna VS Previa

Previa (picture is mine) still wins on looks with the sharp head & taillamps and the rising belt line, but I'm guessing the Sienna has a much larger rear area for cargo and "other oversized objects."

Options-wise they look to be about the same. A vehicle as large as the Sienna ought to have side turn signal repeaters (Previa has mirror signals). To my knowledge, Previa doesn't have the stowable kiddy-chair.
I agree with you there. Previa>New Sienna

But in fairness, at least the Sienna has improved and gets a few cues from its distant sibiling. It's gonna add some pressure to the American market (esp. competitors like Chrysler T&C and Honda Odyssey to step-it-up).

Just my opinion

P.S.
On an off-topic note:

versus

The difference is night and day and the choice is obviously clear
Old 12-04-09, 10:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I really really like this car. May be I will get rid of the 4Runner and get this one. Who knows.
Old 12-04-09, 10:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Interesting that the Sienna SE can have completely redesigned bumpers but the LS 460 Sport has to do with aero tack-ons.

I really don't understand Toyota sometimes
Originally Posted by GFerg
Amazing that a Toyota minivan gets completely redesigned bumpers for the sport model, yet Lexus models such as the HS and LS-sport (as well as Camry & Corolla) get tacky stick on bumper kits.
100% agreed.

i really think both of the above are incredibly ugly. i think the sienna dash could look ok if it didn't have to have the dark grey plastic around the nav (which doesn't look good with the white rest of it) and the fake wood looks really bad.

looks better with the black/white instead of the wood.

Originally Posted by rominl
to me the se is too much and doesn't fit the car at all. it's just like the camry se or the corolla (se? the one with body kits add-on). it adds "aggressiveness" to a car that doesn't blend well with that element. end result is i think the se with the bumper and grille looks very weird

the other setup (i suppose xle, limited, etc...) looks excellent imho. the grille in particular, it makes world of difference
i agree 100%. must mean we're getting old.

Originally Posted by speedflex
I actually don't like the mesh front grille. Somehow I feel like I'm looking at a Matrix. The standard grille looks better to me.
good, good, agreed.

Still, it's a family pod and I'm just not into these things. Venza is still the most appealing Toyota to me by a landslide.
i looked briefly at a venza the other day - it's pretty nice, but the quoted mileage seems unimpressive.

Originally Posted by RXSF
damn. that Van is pretty low for a van
Originally Posted by superchan7
I wonder if that SE was purposely lowered for the show. It looks like it would scrape easily on driveways.
i'd bet it is. they should put spacers on the rims too can't toyota ever avoid the inset wheel ugly look (so reminiscent of GM in the 80s)? the only car that they have that gets it right is the LFA.

but overall this, for a minivan, looks decent. now they show the loaded ones with all the leather, etc., but if you have 2 5 year olds they're gonna make hella mess in there.
Old 12-05-09, 12:27 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was odd how it was coming out February 2010 and they didn't even let people inside the car. I wanted to go inside and stuff
Old 12-05-09, 03:28 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I agree with you there. Previa>New Sienna

But in fairness, at least the Sienna has improved and gets a few cues from its distant sibiling. It's gonna add some pressure to the American market (esp. competitors like Chrysler T&C and Honda Odyssey to step-it-up).

Just my opinion

P.S.
On an off-topic note:

USDM Odyssey versus Asian Odyssey

The difference is night and day and the choice is obviously clear
The Asian Odyssey harks from the first generation that was shared with the US, but it has definitely evolved into something very sleek.

The Previa still wins on exterior, despite dating to 2006. A facelift came for 2009. The Sienna still has a very competitive interior, though, right up there with the Previa.

2009 facelifted Previa interior from Toyota Hong Kong (where did the steering wheel buttons go?)

2011 Sienna interior

Last edited by superchan7; 12-05-09 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 06:20 AM
LexFather

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...nna/index.html

Quick Reply: 3rd Generation Toyota Sienna to Debut in L.A. (Now updated with pics)