Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3rd Generation Toyota Sienna to Debut in L.A. (Now updated with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 11:22 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear wiper is a pretty neat touch. Let's hope this is a sign of cool, creative & fun things to come from Toyota cars.

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think this sienna will have no problem hitting 44K, which IMO is wayyyy to much to pay for a minivan, or any toyota at that
Hehe, don't forget about the Land Cruiser
Old 12-02-09, 11:47 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must admit that for an American-esque Toyota van, this ain't half bad.

Better than the current model indeed
Old 12-03-09, 04:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
The rear wiper is a pretty neat touch. Let's hope this is a sign of cool, creative & fun things to come from Toyota cars.

Hehe, don't forget about the Land Cruiser
same rear wiper in GX460/LC150Prado....
Old 12-03-09, 05:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Who would go with the 4 cyl? doesnt make sense

2.7 liter 170s hp : 19/26
3.5 liter 268 hp: 18/24
probably because in real life, you will get a LOT better mileage in 4cly than v6, especially when not-cruising-highway at steady speed.

thats something that really annoys me about EPA MPG numbers, there is so little difference between 4cly and V6 in most cases. This is not the real life example.
Old 12-03-09, 08:47 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm thoroughly impressed. Wow!

Finally, Sienna will stack up to the Odyssey.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 12-03-09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 10:26 AM
s2kmr2
Driver School Candidate

Default removable middle seat in 2nd row

I see the pics in this thread that the middle seat in the 2nd row is removable and can be stored in the last roll. Is this a new feature? Does current 8 passenger Sienna 2010 have this feature? I see in the brochure that the middle seat int he 2nd roll is "front and center" but is it removable?
Old 12-03-09, 10:37 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I don't understand the fap fap love for this new Sienna. This is one of the most boring, uninspired designs I've seen in a long time. Boring greenhouse shape and 1 or 2 flat, straight lines making up the side graphic. Yawn.
Old 12-03-09, 11:06 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I don't understand the fap fap love for this new Sienna. This is one of the most boring, uninspired designs I've seen in a long time. Boring greenhouse shape and 1 or 2 flat, straight lines making up the side graphic. Yawn.
What do you expect? It's still a MINIVAN after all
Old 12-03-09, 11:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I'm thoroughly impressed. Wow!

Finally, Sienna will finally stack up to the Odyssey.

I think both are pretty equal. The Odyssey does come with the stock exploding tranny. The Sienna outsold the Odyssey just last month.

Funny saw a new Sienna today as in 2009 model and its pretty blah....it defines van. Blah.

This new one really is on to something.

Old 12-03-09, 11:31 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
What do you expect? It's still a MINIVAN after all
Yeah but what makes it so much more interesting or exciting than any other van? It's not like it's more visually appealing or exciting than a Honda Odyssey or even the old Sienna. They're ALL boring.

The minivans across the pond have some actual visual appeal. The concept car upon which this Sienna was based had some visual appeal, with an interesting wrap-around glass greenhouse and squat proportions. This Sienna is just boring... why are we giving it any more praise than any other minivan?
Old 12-03-09, 11:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Yeah but what makes it so much more interesting or exciting than any other van? It's not like it's more visually appealing or exciting than a Honda Odyssey or even the old Sienna. They're ALL boring.

The minivans across the pond have some actual visual appeal. The concept car upon which this Sienna was based had some visual appeal, with an interesting wrap-around glass greenhouse and squat proportions. This Sienna is just boring... why are we giving it any more praise than any other minivan?
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone is not supposed to like it.

I sat in the new Sienna yesterday at the show and it is quite an improvement from the past. The SE model Sienna is definitely appealing to me in my opinion. So far the majority here has pretty positive things to say. I am curious to test drive it to see how well it handles.
Old 12-03-09, 11:50 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone is not supposed to like it.

I sat in the new Sienna yesterday at the show and it is quite an improvement from the past. The SE model Sienna is definitely appealing to me in my opinion. So far the majority here has pretty positive things to say. I am curious to test drive it to see how well it handles.
No I understand that my opinion doesn't have to be shared by the rest of the community. I'm just trying to understand why the rest of the community seems to love this vehicle so much, if I'm missing something about this vehicle. There are no new, clever storage or seating applications or solutions so practically, this car is not any better than the outgoing Sienna and worse than the Odyssey or even the Chrysler vans with their fold-down 2nd row seats or the lazy susans, rotating seats and under-floor storage. Visually, it carries the minivan torch of boring, predictable styling. People who like the car are only saying "Wow, this minivan is nice!" But why? What is so nice about this van? I'm open to explanations.
Old 12-03-09, 11:51 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I actually don't like the mesh front grille. Somehow I feel like I'm looking at a Matrix. The standard grille looks better to me.

Still, it's a family pod and I'm just not into these things. Venza is still the most appealing Toyota to me by a landslide.
Old 12-03-09, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Its one of the reasons I like the gasp....Nissan Quest so much....yeah its a POS inside but at least the exterior doesn't look like a cookie cutter like the rest of them.

Old 12-03-09, 12:24 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, the sports looks a little less minivan'ish... but aren't "sport" and "minivan" mutual exclusive words and really an oxymoron to say "minivan sport" ???

Like the older Caravans that came in bright red... okay, and what is that suppose to do?

All this said, I like it. Although that 2nd row recliner is only useful when you have no 3rd row passengers. So, you can feel like you're in an LS460L executive, but really you're in a giant bread box.

Quick Reply: 3rd Generation Toyota Sienna to Debut in L.A. (Now updated with pics)