Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3rd Generation Toyota Sienna to Debut in L.A. (Now updated with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 12:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably because in real life, you will get a LOT better mileage in 4cly than v6, especially when not-cruising-highway at steady speed.
That is the one thing I have noticed about the revised EPA tests is that 4 cylinders have a really hard time holding up to Hwy estimates. My own car is rated for 24 MPG Hwy, doing 80 MPH I actually see about 27 MPG, but I typically cruise at 70 MPH = 32-34 MPG. Or another case in point, the Top Gear episode of the Prius vs. M3. Practical 4 cylinder are just not able to be efficient at high speeds, but at reasonable speeds they do the job well.
Old 12-03-09, 12:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
People who like the car are only saying "Wow, this minivan is nice!" But why? What is so nice about this van? I'm open to explanations.
Styling is of course subjective but it is visually more appealing than a Dodge Caravan/Chrysler and also in my opinion the Odyssey. Sure the idea of a minivan is boring but it will not appeal to the masses and certainly not the younger generation.

The Sienna has many new features and options us Lexus owners are already familiar with and some new features that are unique. The 19" graphite colored wheels, the LED rear taillamps, mesh grill, sport trimmed seating and c/f trim. Those appeal to me.
Old 12-03-09, 03:28 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its one of the reasons I like the gasp....Nissan Quest so much....yeah its a POS inside but at least the exterior doesn't look like a cookie cutter like the rest of them.
I'm going to have to agree with the statement. It was the only van that dared to break the minivan mold and I loved the way it looked. Too bad it didn't have the quality or the drive to back it up.
Old 12-03-09, 04:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

People who like the car are only saying "Wow, this minivan is nice!" But why? What is so nice about this van? I'm open to explanations.
Not to sound offensive, but basically, you don't care for mini-vans

Before, I was pretty gung-ho about having an suv and
"will never drive a minivan. " AFter owning a minivan and the convenience of it, it's perfect for the every day to day utility. Now, I don't care for an suv

I'll give you my main reason, which is pretty simple.

I like the new venza, but it's only 2 rows. With this new sienna, it's practically a venza with 3 rows
Old 12-03-09, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

btw, seems like they have non-shiny wood inserts now... same goes for LC150's... they actually look nice... before it was really tacky.
Old 12-04-09, 01:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

No I understand that my opinion doesn't have to be shared by the rest of the community. I'm just trying to understand why the rest of the community seems to love this vehicle so much, if I'm missing something about this vehicle. There are no new, clever storage or seating applications or solutions so practically, this car is not any better than the outgoing Sienna and worse than the Odyssey or even the Chrysler vans with their fold-down 2nd row seats or the lazy susans, rotating seats and under-floor storage. Visually, it carries the minivan torch of boring, predictable styling. People who like the car are only saying "Wow, this minivan is nice!" But why? What is so nice about this van? I'm open to explanations.
well to me it's just like ferrari owners looking at the 2is/3gs and say -- what's so special about it?

i think when looking at every car, one needs to look into that category and make comparisons and judgments. to me, sort of rooting in the vip world and craving over all the vip vans in japan like the alphard and estima, the new sienna is a sign of hope, to me it has potential to get "there".
Old 12-04-09, 05:23 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me, I can totally justify the existence of a minivan over a SUV/CUV. There is nothing going for a SUV over a minivan other than AWD/4x4 and the Sienna has AWD option.

Although it was a POS, our Plymouth Voyager was excellent for hauling rear ends and the luggage for those seven rear ends. Any SUV out there, you put seven people in there, you're not loading seven people of luggage. Then there are the 5-passenger SUVs. So what !??!?! Fold the minivan's 3rd row, you have easily twice the capacity of about 80% of the SUV out there.

If the Sienna really was badged under Lexus, I think my wife might finally consider a minivan. She's the SUV type, wants a "sportier" vehicle.
Old 12-04-09, 08:33 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
well to me it's just like ferrari owners looking at the 2is/3gs and say -- what's so special about it?

i think when looking at every car, one needs to look into that category and make comparisons and judgments. to me, sort of rooting in the vip world and craving over all the vip vans in japan like the alphard and estima, the new sienna is a sign of hope, to me it has potential to get "there".
I agree. To me, knihc2008 seems like he's comparing apples to oranges. You can't expect too much out of a minivan as to say comparing it with a sports car.

The Quest wasn't the only one to break the mold. Mazda did this as well with the Mazda5. This new Sienna is definitely an improvement over the previous gen and with the sports package, it really will appeal to more of the younger family and it looks like the VIP scene from Japan has influenced the built of the sports version of the Sienna. It looks promising both inside and out. Can't wait to check it out in person.
Old 12-04-09, 09:48 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Very good read, really excited about new Sienna as more sporty and the interior wow, reclined backseat that may put LS430 to shame . Driver view is main selling point for me after driving my dad Sienna Van with short hood, sit up high, you can see everything. Will definitely get a van once family started, not now.
Old 12-04-09, 09:52 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl

When did I ever compare this car to a sports car or anything besides its competition? I'm comparing it to minivans with better practicality, storage and seating solutions like the Grand Caravan, and minivans with more interesting styling like the Quest and, as 2Swift pointed out, the Mazda5, and also every single JDM minivan ever made, and to some extent even the Ford Flex. So, no, I don't believe I'm comparing apples to oranges. I'm comparing a boring apple to more interesting and practical apples.

Last edited by knihc2008; 12-04-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 09:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Here are a few shots of the 2011 Sienna SE for now.

I have over 400 photos from Press Day#1 of the LA Auto Show I am still processing mostly Toyota/Lexus though. I should have my full gallery up by this afternoon. More to come!
Old 12-04-09, 10:02 AM
LexFather

And that is one van I would rock!!

Old 12-04-09, 10:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

That is straight up BAD ***.

Yes, I just said that about a Sienna.
Old 12-04-09, 10:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Those rims would look sick on the 2010 Camry SE.
Old 12-04-09, 10:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Where's Seize at? Time for some BBS LM action in diamond black!

Quick Reply: 3rd Generation Toyota Sienna to Debut in L.A. (Now updated with pics)