Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Benz craftsmanship at its best!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 05:20 AM
LexFather

that is called "soul"

Old 12-01-09, 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
that is called "soul"
good one ;-)
Old 12-01-09, 05:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
The picture shows this is a new E class Coupe which as a display model.. well who knows how it has been abused and mistreated. I spent time with one this afternoon and the (frame-less) door glass moves out of the way when the door is opened - just the same as happens on BMW coupes as well. Looked pretty similar to the picture I see here.
Correct. The windows slide down about a half inch each time you open the doors on frameless doors on German coupes from BMW & Mercedes.. It seems odd to those who would experience these vehicles for the first time.
Old 12-01-09, 06:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pardon me but I don't understand if this is a flaw/defect or if this is actually a feature or something......

Sorry my bad (I can't seem to understand)
Old 12-01-09, 06:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Correct. The windows slide down about a half inch each time you open the doors on frameless doors on German coupes from BMW & Mercedes.. It seems odd to those who would experience these vehicles for the first time.
Geez this is not some rare feature...most ALL frameless coupes do this...

Old 12-01-09, 06:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Pardon me but I don't understand if this is a flaw/defect or if this is actually a feature or something......

Sorry my bad (I can't seem to understand)
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Geez this is not some rare feature...most ALL frameless coupes do this...
You two should talk..
Old 12-01-09, 07:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am pretty sure not all frameless coupe have this feature. Is it there to make closing the doors easier? Looking at that picture, it almosts look like the window is misalign, not roll down.
Old 12-01-09, 07:34 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
The picture shows this is a new E class Coupe which as a display model.. well who knows how it has been abused and mistreated. I spent time with one this afternoon and the (frame-less) door glass moves out of the way when the door is opened - just the same as happens on BMW coupes as well. Looked pretty similar to the picture I see here.
HaHa... Gotta laugh at this, now there are people who deliberately try to rip the window out of line.
Old 12-01-09, 07:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche convertibles (frameless doors) have this feature too. Yes it makes closing door easier.
Old 12-01-09, 07:40 AM
LexFather

I believe its also to help prevent the window from cracking/breaking when you shut it.

Old 12-01-09, 07:43 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ha ha this thread is funny, it's amazes how some people jump to conclusion. I actually love this feature on my car.
Old 12-01-09, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
ha ha this thread is funny, it's amazes how some people jump to conclusion. I actually love this feature on my car.
those windows are all the way up... what exactly is there that you like?
Old 12-01-09, 08:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am pretty sure not all frameless coupe have this feature. Is it there to make closing the doors easier? Looking at that picture, it almosts look like the window is misalign, not roll down.
a lot of frameless door cars have this, including bmw (like my m3). and you are right, not all cars are like that, sc430 doesn't

from the picture it seems like the door is shut though. and OP stated that the other part of the window lines up well with the seam?

if i have to really guess what's wrong, maybe the window is lowered a bit (in the door open position) and then the battery was disconnected? just a random guess, otherwise it can't be good
Old 12-01-09, 01:32 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

The windows slide down about a half inch each time you open the doors on frameless doors on German coupes from BMW & Mercedes.. It seems odd to those who would experience these vehicles for the first time.
I have seen this mechanism fail on a Mercedes. My mother drives a 2006 CLS500 with the same feature. One day the window decided not to go up that extra half inch no matter what, leaving a gap. It would seal when the car was running, but when after turning it off, getting out of the car, and closing the door the window would not come back up to where it was supposed to be. Thankfully the car is parked in a garage and the problem fixed itself 2 days later, but this was a very odd incident nonetheless.
Old 12-01-09, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
I have seen this mechanism fail on a Mercedes. My mother drives a 2006 CLS500 with the same feature. One day the window decided not to go up that extra half inch no matter what, leaving a gap. It would seal when the car was running, but when after turning it off, getting out of the car, and closing the door the window would not come back up to where it was supposed to be. Thankfully the car is parked in a garage and the problem fixed itself 2 days later, but this was a very odd incident nonetheless.
you know what's worse? on my friend's g35, the glass refused to come down that 1/2 inch when you open/close. so every time he closed it it's like cracking the glass trying to push it in. actuator problems, but not good

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz craftsmanship at its best!!