Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

totalled or not? folks wrecked their 04 Buick

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 02:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy totalled or not? folks wrecked their 04 Buick

My Dad is 82 and just didn't see the FORD EXCURSION (!!!) coming and pulled right in front of it....I took him to the ER because he had a knot behind his left ear and some cuts and scrapes along with a sore shoulder but he was ok.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-01-09, 02:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad to hear dad is ok, couldve been real bad. Whats the KBB value of the car?
Old 12-01-09, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Glad your pops is okay. Can't tell unless there are some pics under the car. To me, it looks pretty bad...

Old 12-01-09, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep....glad your father is OK. If he, and the car, got hit by a 7000-lb. Ford Excursion, both, IMO, came out pretty fortunate, compared to what it could have been. A Ford Excursion (trust me) can be a SERIOUS impact.

As to the question of its being "totalled" or not, that will probably be up to your dad's insurance comany and the claims adjuster who examines the car. I say your dad's insurance company, and not the Excursion's, because, if your dad pulled out in front of the Excursion when the Excursion had the legal right-of-way (at a stop sign or traffic light, for example) he will probably be held at fault, and his insurance company will likely have to foot the bill.

For a vehicle to be "totalled" by an insurance company means, in most cases, that the cost of repairing it, at a reputable shop approved by the insurance company, exceeds the going Kelly Blue Book (or NADA) value for that vehicle in an average condition and specific mileage. In that case, the insurance company pays out less if it just hands you a check for the car's actual value than for the estimated cost of repairs. This, of course, sometimes leads to quarrels/disagreements between car owners, adjusters, and insurance companies over the car's actual value, the amount of money actually put into the car in extra-cost parts boosting its value, how accurate KBB figures are for that model, whether the required repair parts are still available, etc..... requiring lawyers and insurance arbitrators to get involved. It can also leads, in some cases, to insurance fraud, where vehicle owners sometimes deliberately destroy a vehicle just to get the insurance payoff for it.....and quick cash.

I agree with 1SICKLEX that some underbody pictures would be helpful, but, right off-hand, your dad's Buick is going to need (at the minimum) a hood, left-front fender, front bumper, headlight assembly and associated wiring, new alloy wheel (even if there are no visible cracks, the wheel could be internally weakened), a new tire that is similiar to the other three, a front-wheel alignment (I think that type of Buick has a solid-beam rear axle that doesn't need rear-alignment), and, judging from the way the wheel assembly is warped/distored, a new CV (constant-velocity joint), half-front-drive-shaft, maybe some steering/front-suspension pieces, and at least an inspection of the front final-drive unit (differential) to see if there is no damage. In addition to the major parts themselves, is the added cost of painting, priming, application of anti-corrosion materials, tire-mount, wheel-balance, inspection/replacement of the front rotor/brake caliper/wheel bearing if damaged, and replacement of the air-bag and sensors if a bag went off (it probably didn't, with that type of left-front impact). So, the insurance company, and the adjuster, will have to take all this (and maybe more) into account before deciding if the car will be repaired or totalled.

And DON'T let them cut corners or screw you or your dad......make sure the claims adjuster inspects the car thoroughly before he or she writes up the report. If necessary, print out what I posted here and take a copy to the claims-office with you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-09 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 03:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, make sure your dad gets the full medication attention that he needs, even if it seems "light"

got into an accident involving a total loss in July, my sister and I are still going to rehab every week--and we had no visible injuries.
Old 12-01-09, 05:26 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

well they were quoted about $9000 to fix it...unfortunately I found out today he only had liability on the car....so I told him its not worth it to fix it....maybe he can sell it to a salvage yard to get something for it??? how is that done?? just start calling salvage yards? Comparable cars with clean carfax are about $9900.
Old 12-01-09, 05:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry about the accident, hope for a swift recovery. No surprise the car is totaled given the very low value of the car even in good condition.
Old 12-01-09, 06:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am sorry to hear about the accident , but thank god your dad is ok. I would have thought that the value of the car would have thrown the car into the totaled category
Old 12-01-09, 06:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Let's hope the liability limits on the driver's insurance policy are high enough to cover the other parties damages and injuries. From a financial perspective that's important.
Old 12-01-09, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
well they were quoted about $9000 to fix it...unfortunately I found out today he only had liability on the car....so I told him its not worth it to fix it....maybe he can sell it to a salvage yard to get something for it??? how is that done?? just start calling salvage yards? Comparable cars with clean carfax are about $9900.
OK then, if insurance doesn't give you any payoff, and you choose not to sell it to a scrap yard, you may also have the option of donating it to an auto-training academy. They often accept old or wrecked cars for their students to practice working on and making repairs. Donations like this are often tax-deductible, as they would be if you donated the car to a charity. Some charities will take wrecked cars; others won't.

If it is tax deductible (and you donate it before Dec. 31st of this year, itemizing your deductions on Schedule A when you do your taxes next spring), you will get "paid" next year when your tax refunds come through (or with a lower tax bill).

But, don't forget, there's another potential problem, too.....damage to the Ford Excursion. Hopefully your dad's insurance will take care of that, under the liability clause.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-09 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 07:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK then, if insurance doesn't give you any payoff, and you choose not to sell it to a scrap yard, you may also have the option of donating it to an auto-training academy. They often accept old or wrecked cars for their students to practice working on and making repairs. Donations like this are often tax-deductible, as they would be if you donated the car to a charity. Some charities will take wrecked cars; others won't.

If it is tax deductible (and you donate it before Dec. 31st of this year, itemizing your deductions on Schedule A when you do your taxes next spring), you will get "paid" next year when your tax refunds come through (or with a lower tax bill).

But, don't forget, there's another potential problem, too.....damage to the Ford Excursion. Hopefully your dad's insurance will take care of that, under the liability clause.
thanks for all the good info! the tank, er, I mean Excursion hardly had a scratch on it....my Dad got a warning ticket only (I kind of wish he WOULD have rcvd a real ticket to convince/prevent him from driving again).
Old 12-01-09, 07:30 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad that your dad is fine. As others have said, make sure that he gets full medical attention tomake sure nothing pops up. As far as selling to salvage yards, often times you just call them up, or a tow company who buys scrap cars. Unfortunately, you will get VERY LITTLE to NOTHING for the car (under $500). Best bet may be donating it as Marshall suggested and taking a tax write off.