Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini based FWD BMW Confirmed for USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 06:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

lol.. This has as much legs as the death of the BMW V12 thread that was posted a year or so ago.. Then boom!! BMW churns out a TT V12 760 to layeth the smacketh down.

The larger next gen 1 series is already in testing & it is not FWD. They are testing a rear drive & x-drive version of the car @ present. FWD will just ruin the BMW cache. The company has worked endlessly with its efficient dynamics program to work its way around the tough CAFE standards. Turbo charging is one method as we shall soon see a turbo charged 6 in the next gen M3.

Here is the next gen 1 series in testing..

Old 12-02-09, 07:16 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The larger next gen 1 series is already in testing & it is not FWD. They are testing a rear drive & x-drive version of the car @ present. FWD will just ruin the BMW cache. The company has worked endlessly with its efficient dynamics program to work its way around the tough CAFE standards. Turbo charging is one method as we shall soon see a turbo charged 6 in the next gen M3.
Why are they making the next 1 bigger?

FAIL.
Old 12-02-09, 07:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Man, that is one ugly car. Love the rims though
Old 12-02-09, 08:12 AM
LOL!
Lead Lap

I'll believe it, when I see it.
Old 12-02-09, 08:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Why are they making the next 1 bigger?

FAIL.
Why not? The car is just going to grow a few inches in length & width to make room for various engine configurations, equipment & variants which is not a bad thing. This car will come in coupe, vert, wagon & sedan & will be the platform bases of the upcoming Z2 roadster.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 12-02-09 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-02-09, 09:13 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

So I guess that eliminates the possibility of an 'M1.' But I am guessing this will be Euro market only, as the 1-series is available as a hothatch there I believe.
Old 12-02-09, 09:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Right now the 1 series is too similar to the 3 series that its almost pointless, and sales numbers pretty much reflect that.
I agree with above statement, the 1 series is a disappointment. They should consider just dropping it.
Old 12-02-09, 09:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree with above statement, the 1 series is a disappointment. They should consider just dropping it.
People buy 1 series in Europe because they like smaller car... well, i think most of them buy it because they want BMW logo on their hatchback.

My main issue is that 1 series and any RWD vehicle in that class, does not have enough space at the back or trunk. In Europe, people buy these cars to transport more people than 1-2.

Which is why I hope they make LF-Ch FWD.. if I am ever to buy such car, it needs to have somewhat functional interior.
Old 12-02-09, 09:59 AM
alecksk
Driver School Candidate

I don't see how it is "pointless" or "disappointing" giving people a way to save about $5000-7000 for the same level of performance (comparing the base prices of 135i and 335i sedan/coupe).
Old 12-02-09, 10:35 AM
Koma

I think the 1 series would've sold better here if they offered the hot-hatch version (3dr). It would have more versatility and it looks better than convertible or coupe in my opinion.
Old 12-02-09, 01:16 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Koma
I think the 1 series would've sold better here if they offered the hot-hatch version (3dr). It would have more versatility and it looks better than convertible or coupe in my opinion.
It would have also been able to realistically compete with the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz B200, which are either German manufacturer's entry-level cars. Right now the 1-series is alone in its segment - it can only compete which larger and more expensive cars such as the Audi A5 and Mercedes SLK, which isn't a bad thing altogether, but still not what most people want as an entry-level luxury car.
Old 12-02-09, 04:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Why not? The car is just going to grow a few inches in length & width to make room for various engine configurations, equipment & variants which is not a bad thing. This car will come in coupe, vert, wagon & sedan & will be the platform bases of the upcoming Z2 roadster.
double, triple, quadruple FAIL.

Old 12-02-09, 06:10 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Thing is, no one is asking for something smaller than a Z4. Why they're developing a Z2 is beyond me.
Old 12-02-09, 09:20 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by FisforFast
It would have also been able to realistically compete with the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz B200, which are either German manufacturer's entry-level cars. Right now the 1-series is alone in its segment - it can only compete which larger and more expensive cars such as the Audi A5 and Mercedes SLK, which isn't a bad thing altogether, but still not what most people want as an entry-level luxury car.
Well it is a competitor in other markets. They have a 1 series sedan, coupe, convertible, 3 door and 5 door hatch. But we get the lame options in the US.
Old 12-03-09, 09:48 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

BMW lost their way after 1999 (retiring the E31) and hasn't found it since.... Now a front wheel drive 1 series! Hah.

Quick Reply: Mini based FWD BMW Confirmed for USA