Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini based FWD BMW Confirmed for USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 06:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
BMW lost their way after 1999 (retiring the E31) and hasn't found it since.... Now a front wheel drive 1 series! Hah.
I agree, BMW is definitely on a down cycle. I wonder if they will ever go on a up cycle again. They are struggling with labor cost issues just like most German car makers. If they cannot find a solution soon, they will price their cars out of the market.
Old 12-04-09, 07:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is some info on the next 1 series according to BMW insider & fellow bimmerpost member Scott.

Second generation BMW 1 Series (F20)

While the car still remains in the engineering prototype phase, plans for the car have already been laid out and seem to be the most ambitious for any BMW car ever.

According to BMW insider scott26, plans are laid down for a host of variants that include not only the traditional 3-door/5-door hatchbacks [2011], coupes and convertibles [2012] but also:

Supersport edition -- Basicly a BMW 1-series M variant, designed by them but without the M badge. [2012]
Touring model
PAS type GT model (along the lines of the 5 series GT)
Sports Activity Coupe (X2 -- along the lines of the X6)
Roadster (Z2)
Shooting Brake

While many of these cars would not be marketed as the same as the 1-series, they are built upon the same platform and being engineered simultaneously so to speak. Its not clear which of these models would get axed or approved, but it is ambitious nevertheless.

The 1-series might shape up to be one of the most important cars in the BMW lineup!

Photos of the test mule are here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267159
Old 12-04-09, 07:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Here is some info on the next 1 series according to BMW insider & fellow bimmerpost member Scott.
I dont know dashocker, I think of a BMW, I do not envision a bunch ting little 1 series running around like a mini cooper. Its just not a BMW use to stand for.
Old 12-04-09, 07:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont know dashocker, I think of a BMW, I do not envision a bunch ting little 1 series running around like a mini cooper. Its just not a BMW use to stand for.
BMW like Audi has come a long way....both were mostly makers of super entry level cars most of their history, only recently have we seen them move upmarket. BMW has been much more successful in this aspect than Audi has.

Old 12-04-09, 07:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Well, no one will be forced to buy a 1 series. There are other models to choose from including the fan favorites. BMW Group is an independent company & has free reign to create a plethora of products for the masses.
Old 12-04-09, 07:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, if I wanted a MINI, I'd get a MINI which is a good car in that class.
Old 12-04-09, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW like Audi has come a long way....both were mostly makers of super entry level cars most of their history, only recently have we seen them move upmarket. BMW has been much more successful in this aspect than Audi has.

When BMW did the Isetta in the 1950's (and I agree it was one of the most hilarious automotive designs of all time, along with the similiar Messerschmitt KR-200), Germany was still in post-World War II manufacturing restrictions, suffering from bombed-out factories and VERY expensive gasoline. Mercedes did some lovely cars in that period (witness the beautiful gull-wing 190/300SL), but the average German couldn't afford them.

Here's the Messerschimtt:

Old 12-04-09, 09:37 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite. BMW was founded shortly before the First World War and their early products were aimed at the common man for the most part. Beginning the late 1920s and early 1930s, however, BMW began producing upscale and expensive automobiles for people for whom money was of no concern.

The BMW Isetta by the way wasn't a BMW at all. It was a license-built ISO (an Italian brand). BMW negotiated the rights to license-produce the car in Germany because the 502 and 503 cars they produced, although quite lovely and beautiful, weren't making money. BMW was making a loss on every 502 and 503 sold so a car was needed that would sell in volume and bring in profits. The Isetta was this car.

I've always had a hard time figuring Audi out since in the 1920s and 1930s one of the brands that rivaled Maybach and Mercedes-Benz was Horch. My history is a little blurred here but I believe Horch, just like NSU, Wanderer, Adler and Audi were all part of Auto Union at the time. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I think Audi only became of real important in the late 1960s and 1970s when they started developing a distinct image and personality despite heavy styling and engineering influences from Volkswagen.
Old 12-04-09, 09:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
Not quite. BMW was founded shortly before the First World War and their early products were aimed at the common man for the most part. Beginning the late 1920s and early 1930s, however, BMW began producing upscale and expensive automobiles for people for whom money was of no concern.

I've always had a hard time figuring Audi out since in the 1920s and 1930s one of the brands that rivaled Maybach and Mercedes-Benz was Horch. My history is a little blurred here but I believe Horch, just like NSU, Wanderer, Adler and Audi were all part of Auto Union at the time. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I think Audi only became of real important in the late 1960s and 1970s when they started developing a distinct image and personality despite heavy styling and engineering influences from Volkswagen.
We are not disagreeing but BMW did almost go bankrupt and almost was bought by Mercedes in the 1950s.....the Isetta and other small cars saved their behind.

Horsh started Horch but left the company....they still used his name and he tried to use his name again for the new company....eventually after the lawyer fights...he changed it to Audi..

Auto Union was formed I think in 1932....and like all German car companies, contributed soley to the war effort....

After the War they make ONLY 2 stroke engines in the 1950s and early 1960s... Auto Union was bought by Benz, then by VW in 1964 (they own 99.5%). Audis were nothing but VWs with different styling in the 1960s and the 1970s....slowly breaking away...Quattro was huge in the 1980s and really only recently, in the 1990s and our current decade has Audi went truly upscale and seperated itself more from VW.

Audi was doing so poorly after the 60 minutes fiasco they almost left America!

Old 12-04-09, 09:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, when Horch left the company, the company went down hill. From WW1 on, Audi had a clouded history at best. The Volkswagen Group bought Audi back to life after they brought Audi from Daimler-Benz in 1964
Old 12-04-09, 09:49 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Audi was doing so poorly after the 60 minutes fiasco they almost left America!
I'm too lazy to look it up but what was the final verdict on that scandal?

Was Audi at fault or 60 Minutes?
Old 12-04-09, 09:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I'm too lazy to look it up but what was the final verdict on that scandal?

Was Audi at fault or 60 Minutes?
It was similar to the lawsuit Toyota is facing now, sudden accelaration. In the case of the Audi 5000, it was determine that the gas pedal was too close to the brake pedal on the Audi 5000.
Old 12-04-09, 09:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I guess the orginal 3 series roadsters & others models in the 1930's were entry level.. There is a very rich history.. Do your research..

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/models/vintage/30s.htm
Old 12-04-09, 09:56 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

It was similar to the lawsuit Toyota is facing now, sudden accelaration. In the case of the Audi 5000, it was determine that the gas pedal was too close to the brake pedal on the Audi 5000.
Ah, got it. Thanks.
Old 12-04-09, 10:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I guess the orginal 3 series roadsters & others models in the 1930's were entry level.. There is a very rich history.. Do your research..

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/models/vintage/30s.htm
You are good at google. No one is omitting it but EVERYTHING changed after the war. BMW was in dire straits and made mostly all small vehicles. So YOU do the research, you are wrong (Again).

I believe this is right and its also why they changed the name to 100 here (which eventually became the A6).

Quick Reply: Mini based FWD BMW Confirmed for USA