Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 03:31 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I saw a new SONATA on the road today with Michigan plates driving towards orange county....looked very nice...
Old 01-22-10, 03:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I saw a new SONATA on the road today with Michigan plates driving towards orange county....looked very nice...
I saw one earlier in January at SJ car show, car was striking for a family sedan.
Old 01-22-10, 06:36 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one good looking car. It'll definitely give Camry and Accord a run for the money. A turbo 2.0 is on the way too?? Will we be seeing hopped up Sonatas? I'm gonna guess it's the same engine used in the Genesis coupe, so I guess it's a possibility.
Old 01-22-10, 06:53 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it's gonna be 2.4 not the 2.0 from gen coupe. it should get 250-260hp.
Old 01-22-10, 06:55 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I'm guessing the CC would sell so much better if they would just get rid of the regular Passat. VW has this bad habbit of recycling last-year models.

I blame internet.
Old 02-01-10, 06:06 PM
LexFather

Hyundai Announces Pricing for the All-New 2011 Sonata

Bold New Design, Large Car Interior, Best-in-Class Fuel Economy Starting at $19,195

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Feb. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America has announced prices for the all-new 2011 Sonata. The completely redesigned 2011 Sonata delivers best-in-class fuel economy, an EPA-designated Large Car interior, 198 horsepower and a starting price of $19,195 for the well-equipped GLS model. The 200-horsepower SE model starts at $22,595 and the top-of-the-line Limited model is available for $25,295.

"With the 2011 Sonata, our focus was a no-compromise engineering approach that would allow Sonata owners to have their cake, and eat it too. That focus led to a set of attributes that have not been seen in the midsize car category – attributes such as 35 mpg and 200 horsepower, bold design and an EPA Large Car interior, world-class quality and a class-leading value position," said John Krafcik, Hyundai Motor America president and CEO. "At Hyundai, we're big fans of resetting conventional wisdom, and we think we may have done it here with the 2011 Sonata."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-83295027.html

Rumors of a hybrid and a 250hp turbo getting the SAME MPG as the 200hp model

Old 02-01-10, 06:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Over 25k for a 4 banger Hyuindai? Fail.
Old 02-01-10, 09:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hyundai Announces Pricing for the All-New 2011 Sonata

Bold New Design, Large Car Interior, Best-in-Class Fuel Economy Starting at $19,195

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Feb. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America has announced prices for the all-new 2011 Sonata. The completely redesigned 2011 Sonata delivers best-in-class fuel economy, an EPA-designated Large Car interior, 198 horsepower and a starting price of $19,195 for the well-equipped GLS model. The 200-horsepower SE model starts at $22,595 and the top-of-the-line Limited model is available for $25,295.

"With the 2011 Sonata, our focus was a no-compromise engineering approach that would allow Sonata owners to have their cake, and eat it too. That focus led to a set of attributes that have not been seen in the midsize car category – attributes such as 35 mpg and 200 horsepower, bold design and an EPA Large Car interior, world-class quality and a class-leading value position," said John Krafcik, Hyundai Motor America president and CEO. "At Hyundai, we're big fans of resetting conventional wisdom, and we think we may have done it here with the 2011 Sonata."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-83295027.html

Rumors of a hybrid and a 250hp turbo getting the SAME MPG as the 200hp model
Base price almost identical to the Camry, interesting.

I don't like the direction Hyundai press releases are going in. They are starting to become too arrogant too quickly.

Don't believe the hype.

While the interior may be EPA-designated as a large car interior, the rear seating space is anything but.

To compare, rear seat legroom of midsize sedans (inches):

new Sonata: 34.6
(old) previous generation Sonata: 37.4
Altima: 35.8
Camry: 38.3
Fusion: 37.1
Malibu: 37.6
Accord: 37.2

Despite the hype, the Sonata is not a coupe, and nor is it a luxury car. The new Sonata offers huge front legroom, but poor rear legroom. The whole point of midsize sedans and family sedans is to offer comfortable seating front and rear.

With the comparison above, the Sonata now offers the worst rear legroom in it's class, despite being classified as a "large car". The rear legroom in the new Sonata is comparable to a compact car. The previous-gen Sonata offers much more rear legroom. At the other end of the scale, the Camry remains the class leader in rear legroom.

If I was a buyer in the midsize market looking to make a purchase, the new Sonata would be excluded from consideration simply based on poor rear legroom alone.

There is also this statement from the link that is inaccurate:

The 2006 Sonata was the first popular midsize car to offer standard Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and six airbags. The 2011 Sonata builds on this leadership, with exceptional standard safety features including front driver and passenger airbags, front seat side impact and curtain airbags, ESC and Traction Control System (TCS), Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), front active head restraints, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), and a Bluetooth® hands-free phone system.
Since when is Bluetooth a safety feature? Certain printers now come with Bluetooth, and that has nothing to do with safety .

Also I don't see how the Sonata "builds on this leadership" when the Camry offers all of the above plus seven airbags standard as opposed to the Sonata's six.
Old 02-01-10, 09:26 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

There's a 198 and a 200hp version? Or is it a typo and really 300hp?
Old 02-02-10, 07:43 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Base price almost identical to the Camry, interesting.

I don't like the direction Hyundai press releases are going in. They are starting to become too arrogant too quickly.

Don't believe the hype.

While the interior may be EPA-designated as a large car interior, the rear seating space is anything but.

To compare, rear seat legroom of midsize sedans (inches):

new Sonata: 34.6
(old) previous generation Sonata: 37.4
Altima: 35.8
Camry: 38.3
Fusion: 37.1
Malibu: 37.6
Accord: 37.2

Despite the hype, the Sonata is not a coupe, and nor is it a luxury car. The new Sonata offers huge front legroom, but poor rear legroom. The whole point of midsize sedans and family sedans is to offer comfortable seating front and rear.

With the comparison above, the Sonata now offers the worst rear legroom in it's class, despite being classified as a "large car". The rear legroom in the new Sonata is comparable to a compact car. The previous-gen Sonata offers much more rear legroom. At the other end of the scale, the Camry remains the class leader in rear legroom.

If I was a buyer in the midsize market looking to make a purchase, the new Sonata would be excluded from consideration simply based on poor rear legroom alone.

There is also this statement from the link that is inaccurate:

Since when is Bluetooth a safety feature? Certain printers now come with Bluetooth, and that has nothing to do with safety .

Also I don't see how the Sonata "builds on this leadership" when the Camry offers all of the above plus seven airbags standard as opposed to the Sonata's six.
Well it is a press release. No different than the average Toyota one. The purpose is to hype the car.

And Bluetooth can be a safety feature since it allows you to keep your hands on the wheel (hands-free). Just relax. The boremobile known as Camry is still quite safe at the top of the sales chain.
Old 02-02-10, 07:51 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I sat on the back seat and there were plenty of leg room for me. i honestly thought it was bigger than the current gen sonata. i'm 6ft 1 and plenty of head room too. but maybe those of you who are over 6ft 4 might feel slightly cramped in the head room in the back. i don't know.
Old 02-02-10, 07:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joe80
I sat on the back seat and there were plenty of leg room for me. i honestly thought it was bigger than the current gen sonata. i'm 6ft 1 and plenty of head room too. but maybe those of you who are over 6ft 4 might feel slightly cramped in the head room in the back. i don't know.
I would describe my 09's rear as adequate... however since my knee surgery it is the ONLY car I've ridden in that was comfortable in front for legroom (including a BMW 750li AND our Sienna)
Old 02-02-10, 08:12 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Some people are put off by the CC's low roofline, humpack-whale styling, small windows, and the resultant cramped headroom. The Passat's body style is better for space effieicncy. The CC is basically for people who want a sedan that looks like a coupe.

I can see why you might not like coupe style. you are a tall guy, right? i remember you mentioning your clown-sized foot. size 14? you must be like 6ft 5 like 1sicklex.
Old 02-02-10, 08:13 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I would describe my 09's rear as adequate... however since my knee surgery it is the ONLY car I've ridden in that was comfortable in front for legroom (including a BMW 750li AND our Sienna)
you have 09 sonata and a bimmer? that's an odd combination.
Old 02-02-10, 08:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kia and Hyundai are pricing their cars just like old-school'ers such as Toyota and Ford.

Although their cars do offer a lot more bang for the buck (better warranty, better materials), it may turn off a good handful of people. Hyundai also has good incentives and markdowns, but people will compare sticker prices, nor negotiated prices.

It seems to be at an advantage that Hyundai will pull this aggressive pricing while Toyota is down on one knee. Perhaps it will sway a larger group of consumers than expected. It barely did it for the Genesis. Only time will tell how the Sonata will fare...

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)