Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 08:25 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
you have 09 sonata and a bimmer? that's an odd combination.
No, BMW was a business associate's... and I'm 5'10"
Old 02-02-10, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
I can see why you might not like coupe style. you are a tall guy, right? i remember you mentioning your clown-sized foot. size 14? you must be like 6ft 5 like 1sicklex.
I wear a mens' size 15 shoe. And I am 6' 2", 270 lb......a little shorter and stockier than 1SICKLEX.

As you note, my big shoes sometimes have problems with poorly-designed brake-gas pedal height and spacing. In reviews, I mention that if applicable......usually in the final paragraph of the "ON THE ROAD" part.

I didn't get into that, in detail, with the 2011 Sonatas I saw last week at the D.C. Auto Show, because, there, I only gave them a quick general overview. I have review requests for the 2011 Sonata coming up and, when possible, I'll do a full-review in detail.

I dislike the humpback-roof, coupe-like profile, not just because of my physical size, but because it hampers rear-side vision, cuts down on the size of the trunk lid, and makes getting in and out of the rear seat harder than on the old model. Too many cars, today, IMO, are emphasizing form over function, and the new Sonata is clearly one of them.
Old 02-02-10, 09:31 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wear a mens' size 15 shoe. And I am 6' 2", 270 lb......a little shorter and stockier than 1SICKLEX.

As you note, my big shoes sometimes have problems with poorly-designed brake-gas pedal height and spacing. In reviews, I mention that if applicable......usually in the final paragraph of the "ON THE ROAD" part.

I didn't get into that, in detail, with the 2011 Sonatas I saw last week at the D.C. Auto Show, because, there, I only gave them a quick general overview. I have review requests for the 2011 Sonata coming up and, when possible, I'll do a full-review in detail.

I dislike the humpback-roof, coupe-like profile, not just because of my physical size, but because it hampers rear-side vision, cuts down on the size of the trunk lid, and makes getting in and out of the rear seat harder than on the old model. Too many cars, today, IMO, are emphasizing form over function, and the new Sonata is clearly one of them.
I would like to request a test of the new top-trim Suzuki Kizashi manual transmission if you can get around to it.

I don't like that most car makers, like Hyundai with the new Sonata, only allow manual transmission on their lowest trim level.

I applaud Suzuki for offering a manual across all trims of the new Kizashi.

People are sleeping on the Kizashi. It is on par, or exceeds in some ways, the TSX for much less money. I'd buy one. If I were in the market for a midsize sedan I would also look at the new Sonata, but lack of a manual (especially on the SE trim?!?!?!) is a huge deal-breaker...
Old 02-02-10, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I would like to request a test of the new top-trim Suzuki Kizashi manual transmission if you can get around to it.
I recently did an AWD Kizashi with an automatic. Is that close enough, or do you specifically want a manual?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...i-kizashi.html
Old 02-02-10, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I expect the new Sonata to outsell the old version by a slim margin. The so-called coupe-like styling is not that radical and has minimal impact on rear seat space and trunk space. The illusion of a fastback rear end is there but the height of the roof stays high over the passenger seating area and the trunk is not sawed off like a pony car. In this class of car I feel the Camry and this Sonata are slightly better-looking than most of the competition including the Accord, Fusion, Malibu.
Old 02-02-10, 09:40 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I recently did an AWD Kizashi with an automatic. Is that close enough, or do you specifically want a manual?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...i-kizashi.html
Well I'd be curious to hear about that of course, but I'd really like to hear your take on the manual specifically.

From other reviews I've seen, the AWD CVT/auto is kind of sluggish and really isn't the best way to get a feel for what the car's true intent is (to take on the TSX at a lower price). In AWD CVT form, the Kizashi is outclassed by Subaru's offerings, but in FWD manual form I think it stands more than a decent chance against the competition.

So in light of that, I think the top-trim (SLS?) FWD manual version would be more appropriate.
Old 02-02-10, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I expect the new Sonata to outsell the old version by a slim margin. The so-called coupe-like styling is not that radical and has minimal impact on rear seat space and trunk space. The illusion of a fastback rear end is there but the height of the roof stays high over the passenger seating area and the trunk is not sawed off like a pony car. In this class of car I feel the Camry and this Sonata are slightly better-looking than most of the competition including the Accord, Fusion, Malibu.
We'll, see, of course....time will tell. But if the past is any guide, Hyundai buyers tend to be rather conservative...one reason, among several, why the old Sonata sold so well. That's why Hyundai and Kia have not done much in the way of true sport-oriented models. But, nontheless, they can, if and when they put their minds to it....the Genesis 3.8 Track Coupe, for example, is a superb machine.....one of the closest things, on the road, I've seen to a BMW, short of the blue-and-white propeller itself.

The so-called coupe-like styling is not that radical and has minimal impact on rear seat space and trunk space. The illusion of a fastback rear end is there but the height of the roof stays high over the passenger seating area and the trunk is not sawed off like a pony car.
While you are not entirely wrong, I have to disagree with at least part of this. The roofline, based on what I saw at the D.C. Show (the cars were out on the floor, unlocked, so I could examine the interior), does impact interior space efficiency somewhat for tall/large people (like me), makes rear seat ingress/egress somewhatmore difficult, impairs rear/side vision at least some, and the resulting smaller trunk lid does affect load size a little, though you are correct that total trunk space appears to be about the same. Having not only reviewed earlier versions, but also having helped several people shop for, and buy them, I distinctly noticed the difference between the 2011 and earlier versions in this regard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 09:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

We'll, see, of course....time will tell. But if the past is any guide, Hyundai buyers tend to be rather conservative...one reason, among several, why the old Sonata sold so well.
Agreed, no doubt only time will tell.

Sonata sold well enough, but not nearly as well as the class leaders that they have somewhat set their sights on.
Old 02-02-10, 09:58 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

new sonata doesn't offer v6 so it might not beat last gen sonata. but i think it will be close. 120k-150k a year is doable IMO.
Old 02-02-10, 10:01 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

wow you are a Bigfoot! i never heard of 6ft 2 guy wearing size 15!! Michael Jordan wears size 13.

i'm 6ft 1 and i wear 11.5.
Old 02-02-10, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

While you are not entirely wrong, I have to disagree with at least part of this. The roofline, based on what I saw at the D.C. Show (the cars were out on the floor, unlocked, so I could examine the interior), does impact interior space efficiency somewhat for tall/large people (like me), makes rear seat ingress/egress somewhatmore difficult, impairs rear/side vision at least some, and the resulting smaller trunk lid does affect load size a little, though you are correct that total trunk space appears to be about the same. Having not only reviewed earlier versions, but also having helped several people shop for, and buy them, I distinctly noticed the difference between the 2011 and earlier versions in this regard.
There is no right or wrong since most of this is subjective as usual. I too have driven the old version and helped a family member negotiate a purchase of one. I also find myself in the role of assisting friends and family frequently with car purchases.

I for the most part agree with your observations above, as minor as they are in reality. Most of above will be noticed and discussed by people on the internet as usual and not by the actual buyers that drive the market for this car. Since the car is for the most part similar in size to the old car, the question still remains as to how they will perceive or like the new styling.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-02-10 at 10:25 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-02-10, 10:46 AM
LexFather

This car is going to sell like hotcakes. Not only does the car seem fantastic, Hyundai marketing/advertising is on a roll.

I see no reason to buy a TSX over this.

Old 02-02-10, 12:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This car is going to sell like hotcakes. Not only does the car seem fantastic, Hyundai marketing/advertising is on a roll.

Cars like the new Sonata and Kizashi are quickly making the TSX completely irrelevant from a features/price/performance view.
Old 02-02-10, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm afraid, though, that they may be at or just past their peak. They are starting to get away from the models that DID sell like hotcakes.

I do, IF they bring the TSX Sportwagon into the American market.....without the Crosstour's awkward looks. Hyundai should have done a Sonata wagon/hatchback years ago (perhaps with AWD)...they still haven't gotten around to it, even with the all-new 2011 model. However, it can be argued that the Sonata has still sold well even without a wagon version.

The TSX Sportwagon, if it comes here, will (probably) be high on my next-car shopping-list....within the Top 5.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 01:15 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I'm afraid, though, that they may be at or just past their peak. They are starting to get away from the models that DID sell like hotcakes.

I do, IF they bring the TSX Sportwagon into the American market.....without the Crosstour's awkward looks. Hyundai should have done a Sonata wagon/hatchback years ago (perhaps with AWD)...they still haven't gotten around to it, even with the all-new 2011 model. However, it can be argued that the Sonata has still sold well even without a wagon version.

The TSX Sportwagon, if it comes here, will (probably) be high on my next-car shopping-list....within the Top 5.
Sadly, you know America doesn't care about wagons.

No IS wagon this time around. No C-Klasse wagon. No Mazda6 wagon.

People who want wagons buy Subarus or European brands like BMW, Volvo, or VW. Everyone else seems to struggle with maintaining a wagon in their lineup.

I hate Acura for making the decisions they've made and taking the directions they've taken. Why no manual with the TSX V6?

The TSX Sportwagon would be on my list too, just for the fact that it's a nice wagon, and that's what sets it apart, whereas the TSX just isn't special.

I hope Acura doesn't make another dumb powertrain move by only bringing the TSX Sportwagon here with only one lame option like 4-clyinder/auto/AWD.

I'd probably prefer an Outback anyway!

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)